Missouri Gives Gay Trooper Killed on Duty a Highway, Still Denies Benefits to His Partner

Dec 20, 2010 Full story: blogs.riverfronttimes.com

A stretch of Interstate 44 in Franklin County will be dedicated today to Missouri Highway Patrol trooper Dennis Engelhard .

Full Story

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Dec 20, 2010
grrrr.

" ... find a freedom to abolish while you polish some award ... " - Celebrant, "Mass" by Leonard Bernstein

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#2 Dec 20, 2010
If legislative action was not required for the memorial, the story might not be really all that ironic after all.

It might have been an attempt to redress the insult by an administrative agency with no power to actually correct it.
Jasper

United States

#3 Dec 20, 2010
Misery has also given stretches of highway to "Home Run King" Mark McGwire and another trooper, Ralph Tataoian (sp?), who was killed while responding to a call. Btw, Ralph was doing in excess of 80mph in a 70mph zone, at rush hour, and came flying over a hill INto the setting sun and didn't realize the traffic had slowed until after the crunch.
So, of course, they also blamed this all on the *ALLEGED* perp who the police were called out for, not the fact this idiot blatantly ignored the laws he was supposed to be upholding.
So, basically, this means NOTHING until Misery gets it's collective head out it's ass and starts honoring LGBT partners/spouses with the usual "married benefits" and such.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#4 Dec 20, 2010
This the terrible story that keeps on giving. I can't believe it's almost a year since this happened. What a hollow tribute this is for that brave man and his family. I'm sure a stupid sign on a highway is giving his husband a lot of comfort.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#5 Dec 21, 2010
Typical of Missouri. They hand out secions of the highways like they are candy. It means absolutely nothing. We have so many, I don't even read the signs anymore. IMO each of those signs says, "Here's a section of highway. Now let's get on with our usual small-mindedness". I have lived here all my life except for a few months at a time when I just have to get out long enough to know that there are better places in the world. Can't wait for my spouse to retire so we can go live in a civilized area of the world.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Franklin County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
part time employment opportunity (Feb '13) Sep '14 Kimberly Schumacher 2
Judge Hoven (Sep '09) Aug '14 alicia 13
Nudist Camp Approved In Franklin County (Jun '06) Jun '14 Markdale Nudist 218
Walgreens crack down on meth makers (Mar '14) Mar '14 Reader 2
95 meth labs seized near Mountain Grove, Mo., b... (Mar '14) Mar '14 glr 1
Who Was Wrong in Nasty Email Exchange Between G... (Apr '13) Apr '13 gene 1
Incident at the Pacific schools on 12/17/2012 (Dec '12) Dec '12 Misty Foster 1
More from around the web