Faith Based College Coming To West Fr...

Faith Based College Coming To West Frankfort

There are 36 comments on the WSIL story from Jan 30, 2010, titled Faith Based College Coming To West Frankfort. In it, WSIL reports that:

Many ideas are considered a step of faith. For one Franklin County man that step has him fulfilling a big dream.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WSIL.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
20nine and three

United States

#2 Jan 31, 2010
Correction...it is worse than Benton.

And how the hell can a guy offer Bible College courses at a public high school? What ever happened to separation of church and state? Somebody must be getting paid under the table here.

Sounds like some shady shit going on in good ole WF.
hmmmmmm

Far Rockaway, NY

#3 Jan 31, 2010
This is a very respected man,Medical Doctor,among other things,you are not required to take the classes on religion are you?
Get real,go to the meeting and you might learn something,before you start running your mouth about something you know nothing about.
Did you know

Mckeesport, PA

#4 Feb 1, 2010
Most of our "prestigious" colleges were based on Faith?

ALmost all of your Ivy league colleges began in the same manner.

I think it is great, and hope that it does well.

No wonder we cannot get new businesses, etc to WF with losers like yourself flapping your gums
supporter

Newtown, PA

#5 Feb 1, 2010
100% supporter of the Faith Based College coming to town! Negative talk can stay somewhere else!
Agnostic

United States

#6 Feb 3, 2010
20nine and three wrote:
Correction...it is worse than Benton.
And how the hell can a guy offer Bible College courses at a public high school? What ever happened to separation of church and state? Somebody must be getting paid under the table here.
Sounds like some shady shit going on in good ole WF.
I agree with you. There's a church on every corner in town we don't need another at the HS. On a Sunday you have to dodge all the cars and trucks lined up on both sides on the street and also parked next to fire hydrants and stop signs. What's up with that shit? Why don't the cops enforce the damn laws so if you don't want to go to church you shouldn't have to dodge vehicles illegally parked? Some, not all, of these churchgoers act like they own the town!
Concerned Student

Pasadena, MD

#7 Feb 3, 2010
20nine and three wrote:
Correction...it is worse than Benton.
And how the hell can a guy offer Bible College courses at a public high school? What ever happened to separation of church and state? Somebody must be getting paid under the table here.
Sounds like some shady shit going on in good ole WF.
I haven't heard anything about the classes at the High school and I'm not here to argue about that. What I have to say is this: If they can teach about evolution and the Big bang, why can't they offer an optional class about the bible? In the pledge it even says One nation Under God. It's what the nation was founded on. The freedom of religion. This is giving the people who want to use that freedom on christianity a chance to do so. It isn't a forced class. Its a choice. Like I said, I didn't hear anything about classes even at the high school, but If there are, I'm all for it.
wondering

United States

#8 Feb 3, 2010
Concerned Student wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't heard anything about the classes at the High school and I'm not here to argue about that. What I have to say is this: If they can teach about evolution and the Big bang, why can't they offer an optional class about the bible? In the pledge it even says One nation Under God. It's what the nation was founded on. The freedom of religion. This is giving the people who want to use that freedom on christianity a chance to do so. It isn't a forced class. Its a choice. Like I said, I didn't hear anything about classes even at the high school, but If there are, I'm all for it.
Amen, it should be offered if the kids don't want the classes don't take them that simple. There's nothing wrong with religion in schools as long as it isn't forced on anyone.
TheRegulator

United States

#9 Feb 4, 2010
Concerned Student wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't heard anything about the classes at the High school and I'm not here to argue about that. What I have to say is this: If they can teach about evolution and the Big bang, why can't they offer an optional class about the bible? In the pledge it even says One nation Under God. It's what the nation was founded on. The freedom of religion. This is giving the people who want to use that freedom on christianity a chance to do so. It isn't a forced class. Its a choice. Like I said, I didn't hear anything about classes even at the high school, but If there are, I'm all for it.
"Under God" was never in the original Pledge of Allegiance. It was added in 1954 by Congress. They were worried about communism. I find it hard to believe that the HS will be having bible classes as part of curriculum. It would be a lawsuit waiting to happen. Believe its just a rumor and will be taught somewhere elese.
Concerned Student

Pasadena, MD

#10 Feb 4, 2010
I didn't think that they were at the High School. I wish, but I don't think they will be there. I haven't heard anything at all about it.
Yes, It was added, but It hasn't been removed. Because the majority of Americans either Like the words, or don't think that they are so much of a big deal that they need to be changed. We were still founded for religious freedom.
Say there were to be a "Christian class." Alright. So be it. If someone wants to start an "Athiest class" Or any other religion class, they should talk to The board about it. Instead of talking about how Terrible it is that a christian class might actually be in the school. Thats the thing about this site. It's all talk, but no one wants to put energy to fix what they complain about.
oh hell

Far Rockaway, NY

#11 Feb 4, 2010
read the story people,the building will be used to hold some of the classes in,it's not going to be like a high school government class that you (have ) to take.Maybe some of you negative folks need to park your cars at the corners and walk in a church,maybe you can find some relaxation and peace,and get your panties out of a wad.also other places will hold the classes until they can build or find a facility etc...I wish Dr. Morthland success in this.He is a very educated person,has his stuff together.
You complainers don't have to pay the tuition to attend do you,quit whinning and focus on something that you can do something about and make a difference in
Agnostic

United States

#12 Feb 4, 2010
oh hell wrote:
read the story people,the building will be used to hold some of the classes in,it's not going to be like a high school government class that you (have ) to take.Maybe some of you negative folks need to park your cars at the corners and walk in a church,maybe you can find some relaxation and peace,and get your panties out of a wad.also other places will hold the classes until they can build or find a facility etc...I wish Dr. Morthland success in this.He is a very educated person,has his stuff together.
You complainers don't have to pay the tuition to attend do you,quit whinning and focus on something that you can do something about and make a difference in
No thanks to going to church. I feel I live a good life and I am more than generous with charities. I don't feel like I have to go somewhere to find peace and relaxation. I already have that in my heart.
Concerned Student

Pasadena, MD

#13 Feb 7, 2010
Agnostic wrote:
<quoted text>No thanks to going to church. I feel I live a good life and I am more than generous with charities. I don't feel like I have to go somewhere to find peace and relaxation. I already have that in my heart.
This isn't a sassy comeback or a fight I'm trying to start.(I don't like stupid drama) I'm simply saying how I feel with this.

What you said implied that People go to church simply to find peace and relaxation. I just want to say personally, I do not. I actually feel stressed at church at times because I am active and have much to do. But I volunteer for that. It isn't forced or asked of me. Just saying.
My point is that many people don't go just for relaxation. They go to have a relationship with their creator. I'm not here to preach about how God created us and how People need to believe in Him.
I'm glad you feel good in your heart. I guess that for now that's what matters.
As for charities, great to be generous. It isn't required to give to the church either. It is appreciated, but not required. In fact, many donations to churches help out some kind of organization in the town.
Anywho. Just some of my insight. But as obviously seen, I'm just some high school student. What do I know anywho?
Agnostic

United States

#14 Feb 8, 2010
Concerned Student wrote:
<quoted text>
This isn't a sassy comeback or a fight I'm trying to start.(I don't like stupid drama) I'm simply saying how I feel with this.
What you said implied that People go to church simply to find peace and relaxation. I just want to say personally, I do not. I actually feel stressed at church at times because I am active and have much to do. But I volunteer for that. It isn't forced or asked of me. Just saying.
My point is that many people don't go just for relaxation. They go to have a relationship with their creator. I'm not here to preach about how God created us and how People need to believe in Him.
I'm glad you feel good in your heart. I guess that for now that's what matters.
As for charities, great to be generous. It isn't required to give to the church either. It is appreciated, but not required. In fact, many donations to churches help out some kind of organization in the town.
Anywho. Just some of my insight. But as obviously seen, I'm just some high school student. What do I know anywho?
If they go to have a relationship with their creator wouldn't that be relaxing for most people? While donations are appreciated without them a church or a pastor would not survive. Don't be so down on yourself expressing yourself and having an opinion on a subject is good for you.
Concerned Student

Pasadena, MD

#15 Feb 8, 2010
Agnostic wrote:
<quoted text>If they go to have a relationship with their creator wouldn't that be relaxing for most people? While donations are appreciated without them a church or a pastor would not survive. Don't be so down on yourself expressing yourself and having an opinion on a subject is good for you.
Yes, Having a relationship can be great and relaxing. But with every relationship, you have to work to make it grow. If I was a friend to you in real life (who knows, I may actually know you) and every time you said something to me, I just ignored you, that wouldn't be a good relationship. I'd be willing to bet you'd get mad and the friendship would end there. I'm not saying that God would get mad and give up on the relationship, I'm just saying that relationships work out better when people try.
Even if a church went bankrupt because of no donations, someone would find a way to have services. But I will agree with you there. For the church building itself to be kept up and the staff to be paid, donations are needed. But the church isn't about the building. A church is the people inside the building. The building could be a house, a school, even a restaurant.
Agnostic

United States

#16 Feb 9, 2010
Concerned Student wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Having a relationship can be great and relaxing. But with every relationship, you have to work to make it grow. If I was a friend to you in real life (who knows, I may actually know you) and every time you said something to me, I just ignored you, that wouldn't be a good relationship. I'd be willing to bet you'd get mad and the friendship would end there. I'm not saying that God would get mad and give up on the relationship, I'm just saying that relationships work out better when people try.
Even if a church went bankrupt because of no donations, someone would find a way to have services. But I will agree with you there. For the church building itself to be kept up and the staff to be paid, donations are needed. But the church isn't about the building. A church is the people inside the building. The building could be a house, a school, even a restaurant.
I welcome the fact that you have a relationship with god. For me I choose not to. I know many others that share my view and also have respect for the ones that choose to have faith. Usually when discussing religion or politics both sides are demonized. This is usually from the far left and far right of each persons position. Just as the religious side had a Jim Baker, Jimmy Swaggart, and others that have abused the trust of their followers the left has had Bill Maher, George Carlin, Christer Hitchens, etc. who constantly berate and try to make Christians look crazy for their beliefs. I enjoy a healthy discussion on all views including Islam, Atheist, Hindu's, etc. Only by discussion can people can people understand other's view. Too many times the average person is shouted down for their views by the loudest person even if they don't know what they are talking about. Again thanks for your comments.
Concerned Student

Pasadena, MD

#17 Feb 9, 2010
Agnostic wrote:
<quoted text>I welcome the fact that you have a relationship with god. For me I choose not to. I know many others that share my view and also have respect for the ones that choose to have faith. Usually when discussing religion or politics both sides are demonized. This is usually from the far left and far right of each persons position. Just as the religious side had a Jim Baker, Jimmy Swaggart, and others that have abused the trust of their followers the left has had Bill Maher, George Carlin, Christer Hitchens, etc. who constantly berate and try to make Christians look crazy for their beliefs. I enjoy a healthy discussion on all views including Islam, Atheist, Hindu's, etc. Only by discussion can people can people understand other's view. Too many times the average person is shouted down for their views by the loudest person even if they don't know what they are talking about. Again thanks for your comments.
Well thanks for hearing me out. I greatly respect you for actually listening instead of doing what most others would do, and getting mad.
Tech Geek

Coulterville, IL

#18 Feb 10, 2010
That was the healthiest, most respectful disagreement I have ever seen here on Topix. Bravo to you Concerned Student, and to you Agnostic.
Concerned Student

Coulterville, IL

#19 Feb 12, 2010
Tech Geek wrote:
That was the healthiest, most respectful disagreement I have ever seen here on Topix. Bravo to you Concerned Student, and to you Agnostic.
Thank you, "Tech Geek" I wish that I saw more disagreements like this on this site. You don't have to scream and cuss to disagree.
just another kucan

Mckeesport, PA

#20 Feb 15, 2010
...the doc must not try an palm off his personal beliefs into the FCHS curriculum...does he an you can count him not passing the court test the ACLU will put him an it through an well they should since its sounding like he wants to get past seperation of church an state first spoken by our good ole old but not forgotten fore father t jefferson..Reflecting a concept often credited in its original form to the English political philosopher John Locke [3], the phrase separation of church and state is generally traced to the letter written by Thomas Jefferson in 1802 to the Danbury Baptists, in which he referred to the First Amendment to the United States Constitution as creating a "wall of separation"[4] between church and state. The phrase was quoted by the United States Supreme Court first in 1878, and then in a series of cases starting in 1947. This led to increased popular and political discussion of the concept.
just another kucan

Mckeesport, PA

#21 Feb 15, 2010
anybody got a copy of this new schools mission statement or know of a web site where it can be seen an read

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Franklin County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Three females arrested in Franklin County burglary Oct 18 Born a biker 5
Meth cooks- Ice dealers aka Snitches Oct 13 TKL9 1
Kasey claycamp Sep '17 My gudness 1
Ancestry of Summers family Sep '17 Summers 1
so il Jul '17 Frank 1
News Murder Trial Date set for Franklin County Woman (Dec '13) Jun '17 Carol 73
Leo levandowski (Sep '15) Apr '17 Truthabout u 2
More from around the web