Suspect to Face Judge in Hiker Case

Suspect to Face Judge in Hiker Case

There are 92 comments on the WXIA Atlanta story from Jan 7, 2008, titled Suspect to Face Judge in Hiker Case. In it, WXIA Atlanta reports that:

A 61-year-old man jailed on a charge of kidnapping with bodily injury in the disappearance of a female hiker is expected to appear before a Union County judge at 2 p.m. Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WXIA Atlanta.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Interesting

Washington, DC

#1 Jan 7, 2008
Does the blood match? I missed a portion of this story...How did they find him?
Lula

Secaucus, NJ

#2 Jan 7, 2008
It's very sad about Meredith, but at least from this tragedy a serial killer has been apprehended.
ageofpaper

Atlanta, GA

#7 Jan 7, 2008
One of the hardest things in the world to endure is in Seal training where you have to spend extended time in cold water. Lets place this killer sleeze ball in a nice chilly mountain spring and make him stay there till he gives up where she is and then just leave him there.
Kip

Phenix City, AL

#8 Jan 7, 2008
Creeeeeeppppppyyyyyy!!!!

And my skin wants to just crawl right off me when I realize he used to live down the street from me!!!
bjlowe

Cumming, GA

#9 Jan 7, 2008
sick very sick
Law Patrol

Marietta, GA

#10 Jan 7, 2008
Clarence Gideon wrote:
A "serial killer"? Were you born an idiot, or did something fall on your head? At this point, he is accused of kidnapping a single person merely -- not murdering multiple individuals. And, for the person who thinks that the accused should be shot dead instantly, I remind you that, in the eyes of the law, he is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. He has a right to a lawyer, and he has a right to a fair trial. I suggest all of you bloodthirsty barbarians read the US Constitution.
You have a very good point. If he is found guilty by a jury of his peers, in a court of law, then the punishment should include/be, DEATH by firing squad, without the right of appeal. So far, it seems that there is enough evidence to tie him to the charges.
GPPG

Marietta, GA

#12 Jan 7, 2008
Clarence Gideon wrote:
A "serial killer"? Were you born an idiot, or did something fall on your head? At this point, he is accused of kidnapping a single person merely -- not murdering multiple individuals. And, for the person who thinks that the accused should be shot dead instantly, I remind you that, in the eyes of the law, he is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. He has a right to a lawyer, and he has a right to a fair trial. I suggest all of you bloodthirsty barbarians read the US Constitution.
Clarence, just wake up - you don't even have to smell the roses - SERIAL KILLER HE IS.
Georgia Boy

Powder Springs, GA

#13 Jan 7, 2008
Sorry for the typo. Before not Gefore.
JMO

United States

#15 Jan 7, 2008
Law Patrol wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a very good point. If he is found guilty by a jury of his peers, in a court of law, then the punishment should include/be, DEATH by firing squad, without the right of appeal. So far, it seems that there is enough evidence to tie him to the charges.
I won't be surprised if there is a plea bargain (assuming, as appears to be the case, that he is guilty) and he agrees to lead them to her body in exchange for escaping the death penalty.
Shawn

Elizabethtown, KY

#16 Jan 7, 2008
The following is from the website Appalachiantrail.org .........."The Appalachian Trail is safer than most places, but a few crimes of violence have occurred. Awareness is one of your best lines of defense. Be aware of what you are doing, where you are, and to whom you are talking. Hikers looking out for each other can be an effective "community watch." Be prudent and cautious without allowing common sense to slip into paranoia. Remember to trust your gut—it's usually right. Other tips include the following: Don't hike alone. If you are by yourself and encounter a stranger who makes you feel uncomfortable, say you are with a group that is behind you. Be creative. If in doubt, move on. Even a partner is no guarantee of safety, however; pay attention to your instincts about other people.

Thank God for the hiker that wrote down the license plate number. Whoever you are, you may have saved many future victims from falling prey to a murderer.
ageofpaper

Atlanta, GA

#17 Jan 7, 2008
The problem is that it has nothing to do with being guilty or not anymore, it has to do with how much the sleazy lawyers, and the rest of the court system can steal out of the pockets of the tax payers. Who came up with this insane appeal process that takes 15 years to get justice? If getting a shot is cruel punishment then let the killer decide what should be his punishment, if he stabbed some one then he gets stabbed, shot then he gets shot. What could fairer?
NORTH CAROLINA

Springfield, SC

#18 Jan 7, 2008
Clarence Gideon wrote:
I've read the constitution, and no where does it say that you can kill an innocent young woman hiking with her dog. This case is just like the case where I live in Brevard, NC. I guarantee you he is the one that killed an elderly couple in October. I bet that Mr. Hilton sure is happy that there are people like you out there to defend him, I just wish you had the balls to tell this to Meredith's family face to face. Maybe that should have been you out there instead....
True Facts

Kennesaw, GA

#19 Jan 7, 2008
Karate expert v. markswoman. A roundhouse kick is no match for a bullet, that is why I gave up the one for the other. Also never trust anyone you don't know. Never turn your back on them. Apparently she trusted him enough to do that and that is when he probally knock her our with that stick he had, otherwise I believe she could have defended herself.
In cases like this why can't he be force to tell where she is with truth serum?
True Facts

Kennesaw, GA

#20 Jan 7, 2008
Interesting wrote:
Does the blood match? I missed a portion of this story...How did they find him?
Because her personal items were found, it is a reasonal deduction to think the blood is hers. I am sure the DNA will match.
nanasthree

Mcdonough, GA

#21 Jan 7, 2008
He will have a public defender and he will sit in jail or prison while our tax money keeps him warm and fed and he is comfortable while her poor mom and dad suffer it seems like the victim is in the wrong because of our system and the people who think the electric chair and all is cruel wake up system lets start showing these people what happens to criminals and maybe some of this might stop.
Jane

United States

#25 Jan 7, 2008
JMO wrote:
<quoted text>
I won't be surprised if there is a plea bargain (assuming, as appears to be the case, that he is guilty) and he agrees to lead them to her body in exchange for escaping the death penalty.
As a human being and taxpayer, I wouldn't oppose that deal. This family has a right to know where Meredith is.
Shannon

United States

#26 Jan 7, 2008
I'm curious ... does anyone know what 5 counties they are going to be searching in today, because by my count, Hilton probably passed through about 8 counties given where we know he has been (Union, Fannin, Gilmer, Pickens, Cherokee, Forsyth, Fulton & Dekalb).
Shannon

United States

#27 Jan 7, 2008
Jane wrote:
<quoted text>
As a human being and taxpayer, I wouldn't oppose that deal. This family has a right to know where Meredith is.
I want them to be able to know what happened to her (well atleast that is what I would want if I were in their shoes), but I'm not too sure that I would find a plea bargain acceptable. This guy definetely deserves the death penalty ... he is one majorly sick SOB!
Lula

Secaucus, NJ

#28 Jan 7, 2008
karma wrote:
<quoted text>I like you.
thankyaverymuch
Shannon

United States

#29 Jan 7, 2008
In addition, I don't believe that him simply telling them where her body is should be enough to allow him to escape the death penalty.*Shakes head* No way ... not with what it appears that he most likely did and the fact that thus far he has been completely unwilling to cooperate. People like him need to be strung up by their you know whats and shot!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Forsyth County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Splash pad Apr '17 mangochair 1
News COOPER: Looking back at the Creek Indian War of... (Dec '16) Apr '17 General Zod 31
News Bill proposed as answer for failing schools Feb '17 Now Spank All 1
Police surround man at gas station/ pawn shop H... Feb '17 Mangochair 1
News KKK sign removed from Dahlonega building (Feb '17) Feb '17 Blackish 1
Mother's hatred of baby father keeps child from... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Desperate Father 1
Forsyth County Arrest Records and Criminal Mug... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Dorothy 2
More from around the web