Two riots break out at Abraxas school

Two riots break out at Abraxas school

There are 59 comments on the The Derrick story from Feb 20, 2008, titled Two riots break out at Abraxas school. In it, The Derrick reports that:

More than a dozen juveniles are involved in incidents Monday and Tuesday. More than a dozen juveniles were involved in separate riots that broke out this week at Cornell Abraxas I in Marienville. via The Derrick

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Derrick.

xAJx

West Farmington, OH

#23 Apr 5, 2010
I just applied for a job at the Marienville site. Is it even worth taking the position (treatment supervisor) I am from the area and have heard numerous rumors that I should not take the job. Any suggestions?
Awesome A1

United States

#24 May 31, 2010
x -A1 client 09-10 HBG wrote:
abraxas1 in marienville is tha worst placement in penslvania.tha staff are ignorant assholes who dnt care about ur progress or getting u home but instead wil du anything in ther power to get in ur face and POWERTHRUST to abuse ther power over u and make u feel small.i was praying for a riot my whole stay. they wil keep u ther as long as possible thanks program director finch because 'tha countys pay us for our services'. if ur p.o.is talking about sendin u to a1,i suggest to plead with ur judge to go anywher else.f*** a1 and f*** paul craig
Pretty smart:::
MIZZ

Philadelphia, PA

#25 Dec 19, 2010
x -A1 client 09-10 HBG wrote:
abraxas1 in marienville is tha worst placement in penslvania.tha staff are ignorant assholes who dnt care about ur progress or getting u home but instead wil du anything in ther power to get in ur face and POWERTHRUST to abuse ther power over u and make u feel small.i was praying for a riot my whole stay. they wil keep u ther as long as possible thanks program director finch because 'tha countys pay us for our services'. if ur p.o.is talking about sendin u to a1,i suggest to plead with ur judge to go anywher else.f*** a1 and f*** paul craig
YOUR RIGHT I WAS THERE 4 6MTS AND THATS ALL THEY DID IT WAS 0NLY A GOOD 3 OUT OF A HUNDRED STAFF THAT TRY TO HELP U AND YEA F*** PAUL CRAIG F*** RAY MILFORD F*** TOM MAYNARD F*** THAT BIG DUMB B*TCH SUE THERE ALL RACIST F***S AND I HOPE THEY ALL BURN IN HELL

Since: Sep 09

San Antonio, NM

#26 Dec 24, 2010
Have any of you that are over 16 considered Job Corps? I work at a Job Corps in Kentucky and we get people from all walks of life...Gang Bangers, Rednecks, and everything in between. All have the same goal though...Get their High School Diploma, Learn a trade...and most importantly...grow up! If any of you would like to know more information let me know. There are some things you have to know before committing...There are some centers that are much better then others.
Philly kid

Downingtown, PA

#27 Mar 12, 2011
I disagree with most of these comments, I spent seven months there in 2009, and the kids just need to get some sence knocked in them, compared to places like loysville, and glen mills, a1 is a cake walk, and the assaults in this report are a little flourished for lack of better words. But most of all the staff were too worried about being liked, and not authority figures at all, I actually got chewing tobacco from one, but the people saying the place is horrible and needs to be shut down, I believe there vocabulary and spelling say enough.
Sixty Four

Binghamton, NY

#28 Mar 19, 2011
I was a recent client at Abraxas 1 in Marienville, PA. I left A1 August 23, 2010 <<< Do a little looking around Joel Edgreen to find out who I am.=]... All I can say is that program is ridiculous as soon as I got out I went back to using drugs and then I myself chose to quit. So many things slide under the radar there and the staff are too damn dumb to even conceive of what just happened nor find out why or how it was done. Sooo much chewing tobacco that I never went through nicotine withdrawals. Staff are so quick to jump to conclusions and at the little things that don't even matter at that. They say certain staff are certified to be counselors??? ROFL! I wonder if they ever heard of social engineering ..basically manipulating people into believing certain things about you..Ben Powers thought I was some n00b who didn't know sh*t about computers or networking and little do you Abraxas employees realize that all the computers are hooked up to the same F***ING network leaving it possible for anyone who knows their way around to exploit your database. A majority of the staff their are computer illiterate and not just computer but illiterate via plain english words. Read previous posts by staff for proof. Now in my opinion I'm not a bad kid just dumb in a sense at times. I in all honestly do not believe I even deserved to be there <<<OMFG THIS KIDS IN DENIAL HE NEEDS WORK! Actually no, I didn't really need work my charges that got me put on Prob in the first place was a terroristic threat charge for telling another kid not in a serious tone or anything like that, that I was gonna punch him in the face! Next charge disorderly conduct for saying the word F*** in a general manner, not even directing it towards someone < =$256.00 fine 40 hrs Community Service. OMG I'M SUCH A TERRIBLE LITTLE SH*T AREN'T I?... Another thing the team of staff could never figure out where the drugs were coming from..... infact they rarely ever knew about them...How about on Sundays you have one male staff and one female staff and tell them to tell the families if they want to see their kids for an "ongrounds visit" they have to be thoroughly searched.^^ Hint* Who searches the kids when they sit in Seneca community room with their parents and the kid asks to go get something from their room to show to their parents??? Hmmm. Maybe quit blaming other staff you aren't fond of for giving kids the stuff just a suggestion. Lmao I even remember coming back from my homepass and having a lighter in my pocket and pulling it out right in front of staff and throwing it away with some sleight of hand in the garbage in front of the main office. The clients practically ran that program and I'm sure they still do. Before I end this I'll give you a dead give away to who I am.(Directed towards Ben Powers) > maybe you should check your USB drives for some autorun code, think BEN! THINK!!! Why would you give me a USB allow me to work on it for like 8 months and continually take it out of my computer and load it on your computer to check my work? xD and the files were hidden so not even I could remove them from my own USB why do you think I asked you if I could take the USB home with me? Maybe to remove some code that someone would eventually stumble upon? Anyways I'm done for tonight it's 3:57 am and I have more research to do.

Sincerely
Your 1337 friend:_________64__________
Zach

Gibsonia, PA

#29 Jun 21, 2011
I was locked up in abraxas 1 from 2004-2006. and i wish people would understand what type of place it was when i was there. i've struggled with mental health my entire life, same as drug addiction. abraxas 1 does not address any issue's, or give you any tools to cope. If you whistled or even looked a certain way you had 30-40 old men on power trips from the woods screaming in your face. keep in mind the age range 13-18 for those who are locked up there. i continued to re offend after abraxas 1, it was the worst 18 months of my entire life. and i hope that soon it's shut down. Taking people with serious mental health issue's, and resorting to screaming in their faces, also restraining them.. where is the help in that?
yungxcraven

Teaneck, NJ

#30 Jun 21, 2011
Wow, i am absolutely dumbfounded by this....i was a resident at abraxas back in 94..(explorer dorm) and the things im hearing just dont jibe with the way i remember it..yes there were some tough kids there..(i was one of them) a few fights..but all in all the staff had complete control..apparantly not anymore. Very sad, cause abraxas changed my life..i have not been in a bit of trouble scince i graduated, and am happily married with two children. Please dont judge all the kids because of this though, cause im living proof that some of them can be reached
yungxcraven

Teaneck, NJ

#31 Jun 21, 2011
Zach wrote:
I was locked up in abraxas 1 from 2004-2006. and i wish people would understand what type of place it was when i was there. i've struggled with mental health my entire life, same as drug addiction. abraxas 1 does not address any issue's, or give you any tools to cope. If you whistled or even looked a certain way you had 30-40 old men on power trips from the woods screaming in your face. keep in mind the age range 13-18 for those who are locked up there. i continued to re offend after abraxas 1, it was the worst 18 months of my entire life. and i hope that soon it's shut down. Taking people with serious mental health issue's, and resorting to screaming in their faces, also restraining them.. where is the help in that?
Zach, yeah im familiar with their practice of screaming in your face...i beleive they called it a CONFRONTATION...that was one part of abraxas i didnt agree with either...but i think you are overlooking some of the positives of abraxas..such as the drug classes
yungxcraven

Teaneck, NJ

#32 Jun 21, 2011
.....as well as the educational program.(wich i strongly benefited from)..and i do feel that there were several staff members there that sincerly meant well..keep in mind that most of those counselors dont make alot of money, so i doubt theyre in it for the money...i guesse in the end i can only speak about MY experiences, and i cant stress enough how much abraxas did for me.
Pioneer status 3

Pittsburgh, PA

#33 Nov 9, 2011
skylor wrote:
what staff is this
Yeah I remember being in pioneer I was in for 18 months . It wasn't bad as long as you did what you had to do I remember John Pete Jerry Debbie and the other Debbie bob they were all cool as hell but I just kept to myself and stayed low key I didn't want any bs while I was there it's them damn philly boys thinking they are tough and start all that drama it's ridiculous just shut up listen to what they say and you might just learn a thing or too about life I know I did !!
Thanks Jerry for being there for me !!! Im doing well now I own my own remodeling business !!!
Pioneer status 3

Pittsburgh, PA

#34 Nov 9, 2011
I was in from 1998 to 2000 it wasn't that bad I do recall being on the weight lifting team and the trainer Buddy he had me running laps around the gym till I was throwin up !!! It was some hard ass training !!! He was all of 5 ft tall and a cocked diesel lil dude lol he was cool though and I remember Nancy van tassel watching bears raid the dumpsters at night my crazy room mate Tommy from Philly that was my ace up there and Rodney
Vasquez

Hummelstown, PA

#35 Feb 21, 2012
Be glad it's only riots once a year.in 2002-2003 I was a resident at A1 and we had quite a drug operation.myself and a few others from explorer dorm brought in and dispensed pills for the trade of clothing and sneakers.there was an "all staff" call 3 times a week.
dee

Shrewsbury, PA

#36 Apr 28, 2012
i was at mohican dorm in 2006 during the dakota and mohican riots the place is out of control but i got out and am doing okay for myself but its mostly the staff being condescending assholes then the clients just defying authority obviously they understand they have to do their time or they would take to the woods its not always out of control clients sometimes its out of control over cockey and arrogant staff antagonizing and showing animosity towards clients that sets them off
Jjj111

Newark, NJ

#37 May 27, 2012
k- inu wrote:
i worked there for a long time, you have it all wrong it the ppls running the facitly would pull their heads out of their asse nd change it back to enforced care a more strutureway of doing the treatment as it was before ad stop over looking the little signs a other and staff just turn their heads. they even have gone as far as assulting staff as other staff walked away because they were to scared to raise their voice or say anything because RANDELL or JAMES would be takeing the staff to the office for disinpary action. Where students would steal right out of the classroom and everyone would cover it up until the item was found, i am not talking about little things i am talking about items they could use as wepons and the everyday staff had no idea that one of these crimials had it or could possibly use it on them, then you have its a 7-1 racio yah right you would be lucky to have 1 seasoned staff on grounds that knew how to defuse a situation and then you had some billy hard asses that thought they could just come in restrain and walk away but what they did not take in considerations is what happens when they were gone. what happens to when no one else is around but one staff and 15 or more pissed of clients. Someones going to get hurt if the heads of the company do not get their heads out of each others asses and start taking care of problems the clients can not be expected to learn treatment if they do not have sturctured disipline to make them want to be productive in the society that they are returned to. Heres anther thing that pisses me off what happens at abraxas if they have a cleint that doesn't adhear to what they see as adjusting? They send them to psych center then they are relased yah, thats a good one. what happned to do the crime pay the time? Working on the problem is what they said for years working of relationships is what they want to achieve but how can relationships be built if they have no disipline to know who needs respect and what respect really is to them respect is witha gun or a wepon at abraxas the heads say respect is meaningful relationships. BULLL SHIT!!!
first thing i was taught at abraxas is Kindness is weakness and the are like lions the weekest is always the target.
abraxas 11 i was there in03 they need to treAt all inmates the same they hate philly dudes but the local hillbillys get special treatmeant thats y the young bucks snap
EJD

York, PA

#38 Oct 8, 2012
i was a client at A1 from october 2010 to april 2011 and it was the worst place i was ever at in the 6 months i was there i was restrained oer 50 times and it wasnt because i would get out of control it was because i would piss off the staff and they would make me stand there for hours while they screamed at me and than i would get sick of it and start snapping. i got restrained once because i was in an "intervention" and i had to use the bathroom really bad and a staff named ken sisson would not let me use the bathroom so i decided that i was just going to go whether i was allowed or not needless to say i got tackled for trying to go and was restrained for it. the staff always try to make you upset so they can restrain you. i have been at 12 diffrent placements in my life and none of them were as ridiculous as this placce. i hope the place burns to the ground with all the staff to.
OrtizF

Philadelphia, PA

#39 Feb 25, 2013
I was a fomer client at a Abraxas and my stay there lasted 13 months I was there for what some may consider petty crimes, no felonys, I was actualy put there as a dependent and not a deliquent, but it still doesn't justify my actions . I was there that not night the riot broke out. I believe I had been there 4 months when it happend . I remember in detail everything that happen that night, they definitely did try to down play the situation a little to the media, but the staff there made it perfectly clear to us in the following weeks that everyone would pay for what happend , even those who weren't involved in the riot. I believe dakota and seneca (the drug abuse dorms ) weren't involved at all and were actually very piss at their fellow peer of behavior dorm (the rest of the campus) for exciting the riot, even before they knew there would be hell to pay. I remeber when I first got there how unstructure the enviroment was there, but after the riot Wow was I surprised how it turned around, in Abraxas defense the whole place wasn't totally out of control just some dorms ( particulary two major dorms mohican and evergreen) I spend my whole stay there in evergreen dorm, boy was I unfortunate and fortunate to have been in that dorm...I laugh about it now and yes, that statement is contradictory, but there were some very good lifelessons that were instilled in me during my time there. I owe all my great communication skills to abraxas, I was able to use what I earned at Abrabxas because I ddn't fake it to make it (a term very polpular there) and took treatment seriously.
Justin

Whitehall, PA

#40 Feb 25, 2013
I was in Evergreen Dorm for 7 1/2 months in 2006, before being transferred to the transitional living dorm for an additional 3 months. I thought the whole experience was not that bad, and at that time everything was under control. There were a few incidents with clients assaulting staff, but they were immediately sent to Warren County Jail. There was also another incident in my dorm where a client stole the razors and slit his wrists, and he was immediately sent to the Psych Hospital. I was sent there through CYS, from a small town, and to be honest I was in a dorm with a handful of kids that I would not want to fuck with. There were two people in there for attempted murder, and a few for aggravated assault. I would say the majority of kids in there are from Pittsburgh or Philly and are not drug abusers, but corner boys. Obviously clients were fighting and shit in the bathrooms and in the bedrooms when staff weren't around, but nothing major. Overall I did not fear my safety and I don't think the counselors did either. At that time there were two younger women counselors in our dorm Lindsay and Emily and her clients were almost protective of her. The asshole tech's are the one's that will be targeted first when something goes down. So if you want to be a tech there just be respectful of the clients and don't try to be a tough guy like Paul Craig. I hate Kurt Nesbitt!! Deb Pinchot and Don Custer are the best teachers at the HS.
OrtizF

Philadelphia, PA

#41 Feb 26, 2013
skylor wrote:
damn thats crazy. i rememmber looking out pioneer's window watching all the staff run up for the all staff call... and then they brought up a couple ambulance's up to take away clients and staff. Explorer and similcare were out of control that day... glad im out of there now cause all it did was get worse..
Hey skylor do you remember me? I was one of the few philly kids who wasn't a complete idot
ex resident

Darby, PA

#42 Apr 22, 2013
I was dare in 1997 and s#%t wasnt like this at all. Abraxas need to go back to the old way of running things. I was in mt. Top For a year and wow was things different. Anyways. Good luck out there. Holla. (Gwap)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Forest County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
eneavor sewage treatment plant. (Sep '12) Sep '12 Fed up on 666 2
News Forest County crude oil spills, starts fire (Jun '10) Jun '10 Concerned Citizen 1
Timothy Patrick Finucan (Aug '08) Feb '10 Happy 7
News Arrested Pa. county official still on the job (Oct '09) Oct '09 maindawg 1
News Census shows steady growth (Mar '09) Mar '09 Phil 1
News Officials probe riot at Forest County juvenile ... (Jul '08) Jul '08 sara 2
News Buffalo Township man dies in camp fire (Feb '08) Feb '08 Pat Pivni 1
More from around the web