Valley Mother Lobbies for Childcare Change after Losing Infant

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

Elly Lafkin lost her 12-week-old daughter last May while the infant was in the hands of an unlicensed daycare provider.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 5 of5
Concerned Parent

Newington, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Very brave young couple fighting for what's important!
RandomThoughts

Waynesboro, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

It's unrealistic to believe the Mother and Father want MORE LAWS and cost because they made a STUPID decision to hand their child off to a stranger. Let me guess , they seen no other children dropping off a 12 week old ,or all of a sudden think one person cannot provide care for all those kids they seen …....... after they suffered a tragedy of this kind.

What was the COD for this baby ?

What would these laws change ?

This looks like parents trying to heal their pain with LAWS LAWS LAWS.
Anita

Staunton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

I was a childcare provider. I ran an unlicensed daycare home, I however registered with Social Service, and because of that was required to have a criminal background check, and a welfare background check done to ensure I was not a felon, or a child abuser, I was required to take and pass child and adult cpr as well as first aid classed offered by the red cross. I had to maintain at least 4 hours of training classes and was limited to how many children I could keep at a time. I would never allow my grandchild to be in an unregistered home, but I know there are lots and lots of them out there and parents are doing the best they can, paying for what they can afford, daycare is so expensive that some parents work to pay for daycare, and hopefully have enough left to pay some bills as for Random Thoughts, we more laws governing who can watch children, we need more accessible background checks, ones parents can afford to have run, It will not matter if there are a 1000 new laws written it will not heal these parent's pain, nothing is every going to heal that, they will live with it the rest of there lives. I am so very sorry for there loss and pray daily they will learn to live a new normal and praise them for taking time to try to save another family from losing a child.
Dude

Montpelier, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

RandomThoughts wrote:
It's unrealistic to believe the Mother and Father want MORE LAWS and cost because they made a STUPID decision to hand their child off to a stranger. Let me guess , they seen no other children dropping off a 12 week old ,or all of a sudden think one person cannot provide care for all those kids they seen …....... after they suffered a tragedy of this kind.
What was the COD for this baby ?
What would these laws change ?
This looks like parents trying to heal their pain with LAWS LAWS LAWS.
In today's world, where 90% of the population's average income adjusted for inflation is less than it was 30 years ago. It is because of that, often, if they can find work, both adults in families, do. Was it a "stupid decision" or was it an effort to increase their standard of living, something that hopefully everyone does? Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a single bread winner in today's economy.

I agree, that often when an instance occurs we simply clamor for more laws, not taking into account the repercussions. It is not necessarily more laws that are needed but laws that are more clearly defined, or make more sense. In most cases I will defend people’s right to individual actions, but when it comes to juveniles, it is just to make every effort to protect them. It is because of that there is gray in the law between state and parent.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Tough call but 3 mo? Kind of young to be handing off to someone elses care.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 5 of5
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Fluvanna County Discussions

Search the Fluvanna County Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Fluvanna Corrections Officer Arrested, Indicted... (Mar '12) Mar '14 LT BLAND MANIPULATED 77
Questions about ARC hall Jan '14 Carley Bantz 1
Route 53 Turn Lanes Up For Discussion - NBC29 W... (Apr '12) Nov '13 Christine 26
Fluvanna BOS Holds Public Hearing on Proposed D... Oct '13 Mason 1
Success Programs In Fluvanna County Schools (Jan '11) Oct '13 concerned father 21
Fluvanna High School News Show Broadcasts to Co... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Taxpayer 1
Former 5th District Candidate Charged with Elec... (Apr '12) Aug '13 Wondering 127
•••
•••
•••
•••