Study: Graduates Face Bleak Job Marke...

Study: Graduates Face Bleak Job Market Despite Improvement

There are 25 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from May 9, 2013, titled Study: Graduates Face Bleak Job Market Despite Improvement. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Graduation at the University of Virginia is this weekend. Although the job market seems to be improving, that may not translate into employment for recent graduates.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
zeek

Charlottesville, VA

#1 May 13, 2013
One of the latest hoaxs, college equalls , WELCOME TO WAL MART JOBS
zeek

Charlottesville, VA

#2 May 13, 2013
more hope n change for liberal idiots
Lynchburger

Hamilton, VA

#3 May 14, 2013
That's interesting -- the mentioned roommate is the second engineering student I've heard of in the last two weeks who do not have jobs lined up. I can understand all the worthless "fill-in-the-blank (women's, African American, Interdisciplinary) studies", communications, sociology, navel gazing etc graduates but I thought engineering degrees were in demand. Oh, well, at least they'll all go home strutting with high self-esteem to a childhood bedroom packed with participant trophies.
RandomThoughts

Atlanta, GA

#4 May 14, 2013
Lynchburger wrote:
That's interesting -- the mentioned roommate is the second engineering student I've heard of in the last two weeks who do not have jobs lined up. I can understand all the worthless "fill-in-the-blank (women's, African American, Interdisciplinary) studies", communications, sociology, navel gazing etc graduates but I thought engineering degrees were in demand. Oh, well, at least they'll all go home strutting with high self-esteem to a childhood bedroom packed with participant trophies.
Childhood bedroom LMAO

Brilliant
WelcomeToTheReal World

Charlottesville, VA

#5 May 14, 2013
Is this REALLY a surprise to anyone? It shouldn't be.
CvilleMechEngr

Charlottesville, VA

#6 May 14, 2013
Lynchburger wrote:
You have to be willing to travel sometimes to go where the jobs are - even with an engineering degree. That has been true for as long as I can remember.
Dude

Spotsylvania, VA

#7 May 14, 2013
zeek wrote:
http://taxfoundation.org/blog/chart-day-incom...
Not a Lib

United States

#8 May 14, 2013
I feel for all those graduates receiving liberal arts degree from UVA with few job prospects and college loans to be repaid.
Dude

Spotsylvania, VA

#9 May 14, 2013
CvilleMechEngr wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to be willing to travel sometimes to go where the jobs are - even with an engineering degree. That has been true for as long as I can remember.
I know a couple of guys that went to Iraq and came back with big bank accounts, tax free. I thought about doing that, but the thought of going back to the sandbox wasn't appealing.
WVU

Purcellville, VA

#10 May 14, 2013
If you think the job market is bad now, just wait for the effects of obamacare (tax). Ask all the PT Community College professors that just had their hours cut due to the requirements of this bill.
Numerous private sector workers are also having this done to them.
But, we had to pass it to see what was in it.

hondacivic

Charlottesville, VA

#11 May 14, 2013
zeek wrote:
You mean government jobs?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/econom...
NVRMND

Charlottesville, VA

#12 May 14, 2013
WVU wrote:
If you think the job market is bad now, just wait for the effects of obamacare (tax). Ask all the PT Community College professors that just had their hours cut due to the requirements of this bill.
Numerous private sector workers are also having this done to them.
But, we had to pass it to see what was in it.
It seems that a majority of young voters want their lives controlled by the far-left so they voted for Obama/Biden, and Tim Kaine for Obamacare. Mark Warner will win re-election for almost everybody loves free healthcare.
WVU

Purcellville, VA

#13 May 14, 2013
NVRMND wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems that a majority of young voters want their lives controlled by the far-left so they voted for Obama/Biden, and Tim Kaine for Obamacare. Mark Warner will win re-election for almost everybody loves free healthcare.
It will be interesting when these folks how expensive free really is
WVU

Purcellville, VA

#14 May 14, 2013
WVU wrote:
<quoted text>
It will be interesting when these folks learn how expensive free really is
inserted "learn" between folks and how
NVRMND

Charlottesville, VA

#15 May 14, 2013
WVU wrote:
<quoted text>
It will be interesting when these folks how expensive free really is

It is funny how the far-left quadruples the cost of something and then they say that it is now affordable. Mark Warner and Tim Kaine do not want Obamacare to be applied to themselves, their households, and their staffs yet they voted to ensure that it is applied to the rest of us who will never receive a voucher . The college crowd swarms to vote for the far-left for they want Obamacare regardless of anything and everything.
zeek

Charlottesville, VA

#16 May 14, 2013
hondacivic wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean government jobs?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/econom...
Were so screwwed
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#17 May 14, 2013
The fact that only one out of three grads finds a relevant career is old news. Idiots can blame Obama, its not a political issue. One good thing though, kids are getting an education for its own sake instead of some capitalist notion that tells us to get an education for a good job.
Not a Lib

United States

#18 May 16, 2013
sez you wrote:
The fact that only one out of three grads finds a relevant career is old news. Idiots can blame Obama, its not a political issue. One good thing though, kids are getting an education for its own sake instead of some capitalist notion that tells us to get an education for a good job.
What's so good about that, getting an education for its own sake? If the goal is not to get a job after college related to your field, then why not head to the library and educate yourself for education's sake. Your comment is bizarre and imho, ridiculous.
zeek

Charlottesville, VA

#19 May 17, 2013
Food stamp stock your best investment
hondacivic

Gloucester, VA

#20 May 17, 2013
Not a Lib wrote:
<quoted text>
What's so good about that, getting an education for its own sake? If the goal is not to get a job after college related to your field, then why not head to the library and educate yourself for education's sake. Your comment is bizarre and imho, ridiculous.
The value if a college degree goes well beyond what a person has learned in their field. A number of college degrees will become obsolete over time as they become irrelevant. An employer looks beyond what an applicant has learned in their field. A college education gives people other skills such as critical thinking, etc.

The same can be said with someone from the military. Employers also have higher regards for someone with military experience. They probably aren't thinking that this applicant has experience shooting a gun so I'll hire them. They know that the military also gave them valuable skills such as being a team player, critical thinking, strategic planning, etc.

An education is one of the best investments you can make in yourself. Just because the job market is not the best right now is not a reason to get an education. Or you can always trying telling that employer that they should hire you because you went to the library.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fluvanna County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Success Programs In Fluvanna County Schools (Jan '11) Apr 28 Corrupt 22
News Administrators Dance on Top of School to Thank ... (May '13) Apr 28 Corrupt 5
Corrections Officer (Aug '16) Aug '16 Corrections Officer 1
News Police Find City Woman On I-64 (Jan '16) Jan '16 Debra 1
Anyone have details about car fire in Fork Unio... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Bird 1
What the hell is a fluco? (Sep '14) Sep '14 Hurrycane 1
News Scottsville Man Arrested for Homicide, Child Abuse (Aug '14) Aug '14 test 1
More from around the web