Fluvanna Parents Sound Off on School ...

Fluvanna Parents Sound Off on School Board's Domino Plan - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, S...

There are 61 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Nov 28, 2011, titled Fluvanna Parents Sound Off on School Board's Domino Plan - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, S.... In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Fluvanna County schools will soon be shuffling all of its students, but first the system wanted parents' and teachers' input on the move.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Concern Parent

United States

#1 Nov 28, 2011
I Do not think that they need to put 8th graders with high school students.. And why is it that the county can build a new high school and not know what to do with the extra buildings..Fluvanna county has wasted so much money! And with that new high school I hope they get rid of the three secretaries that are there now because they are a waste of tax money too! So I hope they are thinking about what they are going to do with the empty wasted space they will be losing in Cunningham and Columbia..Children do better in smaller settings. keep the small schools!
luv va

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Nov 28, 2011
I can not wonder why all the fuss about this meeting and why it made the news,,,no matter what the public says the Bd of Supers is going to have it their way anyway,,the public voice doesnot matter.Wake up people to the fact that your BD of Supers want power and will do what they have to get their way;
charlotte staton

United States

#3 Nov 29, 2011
why do they have to move children around. I still don't understand all of this
Concerned taxpayer

Palmyra, VA

#4 Nov 29, 2011
I thought the whole reason of building a new high school was because the old one was getting overcrowded and the projected increases in students were continuing to grow. So they build a new, larger high school and now they are proposing ADDING the 8th grade to the high school. Doesn't that idea kinda defeat the purpose of the new high school?? What happens when IT becomes overcrowded?
bababooey

Palmyra, VA

#5 Nov 29, 2011
What a waste of money...the should pay their teachers what they took from them
Broke

United States

#6 Nov 29, 2011
What ever happened to K-4 kindergarten, 5-8 middle school, and 9-12 high school? The current middle school/central can be one kindergarten (why would you need to spend over $1 million to retrofit?), the old HS could be the middle school and the Death Star could be HS. Maybe sell off some of the 40 unneeded fleet cars the schools own, and trim the admin fat. Kids don't need the fancy uber-sophisticated junk that the schools want to boost their base line budgeting, they need good teachers and less propaganda in the classroom.
FlucoMom

Barboursville, VA

#7 Nov 29, 2011
I think lumping 8th graders in with high schoolers is a horrible idea. What happened to the idea of putting the 6th, 7th and 8th graders in the old high school and using the middle school as an upper elementary school?!
S-ville resident

Palmyra, VA

#8 Nov 29, 2011
luv va wrote:
I can not wonder why all the fuss about this meeting and why it made the news,,,no matter what the public says the Bd of Supers is going to have it their way anyway,,the public voice doesnot matter.Wake up people to the fact that your BD of Supers want power and will do what they have to get their way;
You're absolutely right. The Board doesn't care. All you have to do is watch their faces when the public is making comments at the meetings. The people are pouring their hearts out & the board members sit there making faces at them like they're wasting their time.
local resident

United States

#9 Nov 29, 2011
charlotte staton wrote:
why do they have to move children around. I still don't understand all of this
There are many reasons why they need to be moved around, and here are 2.
1. All of the available space should be used. The new high school opening means that the current high school will be empty. Someone has to move.
2. There are 34 mobile units in the division that need to be removed, bringing all students inside a school building. If you don't agree, perhaps you can explain to the students in mobiles who are trekking in and out of the building on a rainy day why they have to have a classroom disconnected from the building while their friends are on the inside.

What irks me is that this "plan" has been a decade in the making. They already accepted the Domino plan in 2005 that outlined what should happen.(keep primaries open, Central becomes K-3, Old middle school becomes upper elem. grades 4-5, and the middle school moves to the current high school when the hs moves to it's new facility)

Why we go round and round in this county instead of looking forward never ceases to amaze me.
criminally stupid

Greenbackville, VA

#10 Nov 29, 2011
This moronic plan puts 12 and 13 year old girls with 18 and 19 year old boys, some of which have criminal records for drinking or drugs. How much money is the county going to save when we start suing the county for neglect, criminal endangerment, and expenses when our little girls are molested?
Fluvanna Mom of 2

Rustburg, VA

#11 Nov 29, 2011
Why even ask for parents to come out and give their input on this issue when they only have two options but it still remains that 8th graders are going to HS is included in both options. WOW really! Who told you that 8th graders has the mind set or know with all to handle HS life sometimes they are not even ready to enter 9th. Ok so when Fluvanna out grows again in the next couple of years, are they going to build another building. Look at the projected years to come and not just now! They have plenty of book knowledge on the board but no common sense.

Cunningham and Columbia should be kept open. I would rather see these two school stay open and they hire teachers instead of the student/teacher ratio go out the window. I would hate to see another child go lacking because of it. Oh I forgot, there is a money issue! Well, allow businesses to come to Fluvanna, to increase revenue so....they can hire new teachers.

Fluvanna residents should elect board members according to what they stand for and not for who they know! When those are up for re-election, rethink your choices. Fluvanna lacks in many areas and its sad to say, this is one of them!!!!
Fluvanna Mom

Rustburg, VA

#12 Nov 29, 2011
Stop electing these people because of who you know! Elect them because of their vision, morals and COMMON SENSE not lack thereof. They are not there for our children because of they were, both options WOULD NOT include sending the 8th graders to HS.
Fluvanna Mom

Rustburg, VA

#13 Nov 29, 2011
S-ville resident wrote:
<quoted text>
You're absolutely right. The Board doesn't care. All you have to do is watch their faces when the public is making comments at the meetings. The people are pouring their hearts out & the board members sit there making faces at them like they're wasting their time.
QUESTION of the DAY?????????

HOW CAN WE GET THEM OFF OF THE BOARD TO BETTER REPRESENT OUR CHILDREN AND THEIR WELFARE?
Fluvanna Mom

Rustburg, VA

#14 Nov 29, 2011
local resident wrote:
<quoted text>
What irks me is that this "plan" has been a decade in the making. They already accepted the Domino plan in 2005 that outlined what should happen.(keep primaries open, Central becomes K-3, Old middle school becomes upper elem. grades 4-5, and the middle school moves to the current high school when the hs moves to it's new facility)
Why we go round and round in this county instead of looking forward never ceases to amaze me.
So...if the "Domino Plan" has been a decade in the making, why are they changing things now! I also thought the plan to keep primaries open, Central becomes K-3, middle school becomes upper elem. grades 4-5, and the middle school moves to the current high school which was laid out before the construction even started. Why change now? Money! I think they really need to reconsider some things. Its not just for our kids benefit but the teachers also.
FlucoMother

Rustburg, VA

#15 Nov 29, 2011
If they are willing to place 8th graders in HS which they have no business being there. Lets do changes to the dress codes and make every one wear uniforms.
Fluco Equals Moron

Scottsville, VA

#16 Nov 29, 2011
Just when you think Fluvanna cannot get any stupider or find new ways to waste money, along comes this new board. They want to close Cunningham, Columbia, and/or the middle school so they can rent even more trailers, open the new high school over capacity with trailers by adding another grade level and mix pre-teens with 18 year olds, and spend millions to move kids from building to building? Bernie Madoff was less of a criminal with other people's money!

If you want to save money, cut 10-20% of all the unneeded teachers, cut the over-generous salaries of the ones that remain by 10-20%, stop wasting money giving out ipads to every student, get rid of all the stupid costly trendy sports like lacrosse and fencing, and stop feeding the kids gourmet meals at lumch! I saw the menus! Steak sandwiches, Steak Nuggets and more! That's a lot of steak going down the throats of a bunch of freeloaders on free lunch programs! My taxes are going to give steaks to welfare kids! The rotton kids that infest these schools dont even deserve a peanut butter sandwich and pencil paper, let alone free steaks and ipads!

Every lousy freeloader, kids and teachers, that sets foot in a Fluvanna school should be ashamed for the tax scam they are committing on the decent taxpayers losing their homes for Fluvanna's spending excesses!
luv va

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Nov 30, 2011
If there was one thing I wisdh the Bd of Sups. would do if they really cared about the children and the peoples thoughs on this matter is to read some of these comments that are posted.Maybe if enough of us kept writing that when election time came they would be in trouble JUST MAYBE they would understand our feelings.
I personally think that 5 and 6 graders do not belong on a bus full of high school kids nor do 7 and 8 th graders belong in a high school like school either.
I agree with the people ( and forgive me if I do not remember all the names) what is wrong with K-6,7,8 and 9 which would be JR.High and then 10-12 as High School?????
I also agree with the way I see the older children both boys and girls are dressed going to school,the schools should have uniform rules,but then it should apply to teachers as well..Have any of you seen how some of the teachers dress? I watched one for 2 years come to school looking like she slept in her clothes.
This of course is just my feelings.
are you kidding

Palmyra, VA

#18 Nov 30, 2011
Fluvanna Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
So...if the "Domino Plan" has been a decade in the making, why are they changing things now! I also thought the plan to keep primaries open, Central becomes K-3, middle school becomes upper elem. grades 4-5, and the middle school moves to the current high school which was laid out before the construction even started. Why change now? Money! I think they really need to reconsider some things. Its not just for our kids benefit but the teachers also.
The answer to your question is very simple.

Just as the county knew more than a decade prior to the construction of a new high school that it was NECESSARY, they refused to approve and fund the project.

They will likely refuse to properly fund the Domino Plan as well.

If you want to know what will happen to our schools, the answer is exceedingly obvious: whatever costs the least amount of money.

As bad as the board has been, it will only get worse with the new installment in January from the Palmyra division.
Concerned Troy Residents

Scottsville, VA

#19 Nov 30, 2011
are you kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
The answer to your question is very simple.
Just as the county knew more than a decade prior to the construction of a new high school that it was NECESSARY, they refused to approve and fund the project.
They will likely refuse to properly fund the Domino Plan as well.
If you want to know what will happen to our schools, the answer is exceedingly obvious: whatever costs the least amount of money.
As bad as the board has been, it will only get worse with the new installment in January from the Palmyra division.
That monstrosity of a new high school was never neccesary and never needed. It is just a scam designed to bankrupt Fluvannna and justify the inflated salaries and egos of the so called teachers of Fluvanna. The simple fact that the new, slightly more responsible board is looking at leaving 3 schools vacant is proof that no new schools were ever needed.

Meanwhile, as the so called teachers rob the citizens blind, the rest of the county is ignored and the industrial blight continues to grow.
Bell Toll

Aylett, VA

#20 Nov 30, 2011
So Rob Bell has finally killed off his hated Fluvanna Middle School! It's good to know this overcrowded and underfunded school he has made a mission of bashing over the years will no longer be around to embarrass him with their high test scores and record of achievement.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fluvanna County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Corrections Officer (Aug '16) Aug '16 Corrections Officer 1
News Police Find City Woman On I-64 (Jan '16) Jan '16 Debra 1
Anyone have details about car fire in Fork Unio... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Bird 1
What the hell is a fluco? (Sep '14) Sep '14 Hurrycane 1
News Scottsville Man Arrested for Homicide, Child Abuse (Aug '14) Aug '14 test 1
News UPDATED: Sheriff's Office Investigating Disappe... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Robin Floyd 1
Poll Should FMS Principal Yardley Farquharson be fir... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Amazed 1
More from around the web