Floyd County considers settlement after animal seizure

Oct 23, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: KCBD-TV Lubbock

Did Floyd County do something wrong by seizing up to 300 dogs from the Alpha Tex Kennels near Lockney last month? Floyd County Commissioner Nathan Johnson is quoted by the Plainview Daily Herald as saying the County Attorney and the County Judge want to settle out-of-court with Alpha Tex for $200,000. KCBD NewsChannel 11 video from the day of the ... (more)

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 7 of7
chihua

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2011

Judged:

These poor dogs are just more examples of PRISONERS OF GREED !!!!!!!
The owners are just another bunch of selfish, inhumane , low lifes that have no respect for the feelings of animals...... NO LOVE, NO COMPASSION, nothing but cheap trash that want to make money and could care less about the suffering of the poor dogs that they use, abuse and then , probably, discard, like trash, when they are used up and no longer able to make them money.
I wish they and the hundreds of thousands of scum, just like them, that are doing the same thing.. all over the country and world..... were sentenced to live and suffer and die in the very places they kept
these dogs, after the dogs are rescued.
These poor dogs will never know a loving home And, they are better off, with humane euthanization and the Rainbow Bridge than the life they have.
God did not give us these animals to mistreat and I believe, that He too, cries in outrage, as I do.
Blankenship

Georgetown, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2011

Judged:

Yes, its easy to say all these horrible things after all they have been tried in the press. But remember if you allow any government entity to trample the civil and property rights of one person then you give away a piece of your rights. If they made this seizure without due cause then it will cost the taxpayers more than the settlement.

Dirty conditions are not necessarily abuse. If they got behind due to illness or lack of help that is one thing versus real abuse which is disease and illness. We have all lost sight of the fact that these are dogs not children

I watched the video and although the pens and grass were over grown I did not see starving dogs. If the dogs have already been placed in homes then they cannot have been in bad shape.

Note that these tactics are now being applied to rescue groups. Helping the owners get things back into condition was the way Americans use to help each other out. But now it seems we are only into condemning others instead of helping others out of their particular situation. One car accident or an illness can really make a small business suffer. You call these people greedy but that can't be true if they can barely get buy. But no starving dogs means they put their animals above their own needs.

I know you will come back with a lot mean statements, but you don't have proof other than the newspapers trying this family in the public news just to sell newspapers.

The animal rights people don't want anyone to have a pet, that is why they condemn everyone who breeds even responsible breeders. Its shame Americans have started down the road of publicly condemning instead of helping one another.
maggie b

Byhalia, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2011

Judged:

Those poor dogs were traumatized by being seized by those without any understanding of animal husbandry without any regard for the animals. They didn't care how the animals felt about leaving the only home they've ever known. They harmed the animals and the owners for their personal anti-animal agenda which includes rescue greed. First they could sell valuable animals as "rescues" for a neat profit, then they could try the owners in the press and gather more donations. The way both the humans and the animals were treated was a miscarriage of justice. I hope those involved have to pay big.
Max

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2011

Judged:

Yes, Floyd County was wrong for their actions toward Alpha Tex. A person recently said that she never thought in her lifetime she would see government trying to make criminals out of people who raise animals. I never thought I would see it either but that is what animal rights is all about.
Katie C

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2011

Judged:

Few things are as anti-American as illegal search and seizure. I hope the owners will get their dogs back, but in cases like this the dogs are long gone by the time the seizure is declared illegal.
I just read another article today with the headline blaring that "Rescue is front for puppy mill" with no evidence presented that the person ever bred even one dog! These were rescued animals she was selling. Seems like the fashionable thing to do these days is to scream "ABUSER" and "PUPPY MILL" at everyone.
The biggest problem is that the folks who most abuse animals are the national groups like PETA and HSUS....they fraudulently fundraise using pictures of neglected and ill dogs and cats....yet the money doesn't go to help the animals. Instead, it goes to conducting illegal raids like this one and pushing for more laws to separate people from their animals. What a scam!! That's what I call ANIMAL ABUSE and GREED!!!
Katie C

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2011

Judged:

Chihua, are you serious? The dogs are better off dead? You sound mentally unbalanced. You'd make a fine employee of the HSUS or PETA, though. Same mentality.
Terry M

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2011

Judged:

Those of you crying out for the rights of the Smith's have not seen one dog taken from there. As a rescurer with 2 of these dogs I can adamantly say there was rampant abuse and neglect. How many of you screaming for the rights of the Smith's have seen an 18 pound 1 year old Golden Retriever? None of you, it's unheard of, and yet I have one living in my home right now. She is scared of everything but me and my dogs she has now bonded with. She had no clue what a toy or a treat was. She doesn't know how to play or how to be a puppy.
How many of you will fight for her rights? She will never get bigger than a 4 month old Golden. She will never be a mental giant and she will never be bred. The Smith's were trying to sell her as a 4 month old when it is obvious she is an adult dog. How scrupulous of them.
My advice to all of you coming to the rescue of the Puppy Mill owners is to educate yourselves. Look at the videos, read the articles, talk to the people fostering these dogs. The fight for the side you feel is right.
Don't be so quick to jump on the bandwagon of the big bad government violated the rights of these poor people just trying to make a living. They knew the mill had gotten away from them, but these are not temporary conditions. Dogs do not get mange overnight.
Dead dogs and bones from dead dogs in the kennels, no clean food or water. Conditions you would not tolerate in your home but are okay in the kennel? Think about what you would be willing to put up with and then speak your mind.
I'm not persecuting the Smith's, I'm trying to give you another side of the story to make you think about knee jerk reactions without doing due diligence and research.
Look at the pregnant Collie's that had litters and only 3 puppies survived because of parvo and distemper.
So many of the younger dogs have died due to Parvo. Preventable and yet not prevented.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 7 of7
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Floyd County Discussions

Search the Floyd County Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Alpha Tex gets trial date for seized dogs near ... (Oct '11) Oct '11 K Ellis 2
Possible Arson Fire Destroys Lockney High School (Jan '09) Oct '10 well 5
We're the Only Ones Romeo, Romeo! Wherefore art... (Apr '07) Apr '07 someone 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••