Analysis: Kansas coal debate looks stuck but differences give Sunflower's allies hope

There are 2 comments on the Canadian Business Magazine story from Apr 11, 2009, titled Analysis: Kansas coal debate looks stuck but differences give Sunflower's allies hope. In it, Canadian Business Magazine reports that:

A contentious political debate over two proposed coal-fired power plants in southwest Kansas appears to have been stuck in the same place for more than a year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Canadian Business Magazine.

NobodyYouKnow

Hamilton, Canada

#1 Apr 13, 2009
http://www.kwch.com/Global/story.asp...

In 2006, a new application was filed for a far larger project. Sunflower proposed to build three new coal plants, far exceeding the needs of Kansas customers. During the process, Sunflower withdrew the application for one of the plants. Still only 15 percent of the energy produced in the remaining two plants would be used in Kansas; the remaining 85 percent would be sold to Colorado and Texas."

So, it is a case of moving the pollution and health costs to Kansas (which already has 75% power from coal) from the major fossil fuel producing states. Looks like they're looking for some spin fodder. See? Texas, which produced beaucoup de fossil fuels, has really clean air quality..
MoreFactLessHype

Etobicoke, Canada

#2 Apr 13, 2009
Actual facts are that Kansas already has 75% of it's energy from high pollution coal and has no need for ANY of the plants being proposed. The power is to be sent to richer states to clean up their air pollution, effectively 'exporting' the health effects to Kansas which has little say.

And the boom in low technology, high emission coal power is also a consequence of the Bush Administration removal of emissions regulation from new coal plants. The high tech gassification solutions with much lower ozone, NOx, SOx, etc require cleaner, more expensive coal and higher initial costs.

The subsidies and removal of regulation to coal mining and transport under GWB mean that the industry is pushing costly (including all costs) coal over cleaner fuels in order to fuel coal power profits to Texans at the expense of Kansans who end up picking up the majority of the tab.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Finney County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 29 Arrested In Garden City Gang Crackdown, 4 Ot... (Jun '13) Feb '15 Chungus 4
News Fair gearing up to deliver some fun (Aug '11) Aug '11 had fun 1
News Ulysses man bound over for trial (Jul '10) Nov '10 What is going on 13
News Former newspaper publisher arrested in Finney C... (Jan '10) Nov '10 What is going on 35
News Kan. gov, utility CEO announce deal on coal pla... (May '09) Oct '10 Brain_G 64
News Coal plant permit on track (Sep '10) Sep '10 GEEWIZ 5
News County now majority-minority population (May '09) Feb '10 Mr Wizard 3
More from around the web