Children's Christmas Shopping Spree

Posted in the Fentress County Forum

Jackie Wilson

Jamestown, TN

#1 Jan 2, 2011
To, Editor in Chief - Fentress Courier
To, Faye Stevens - Reg. Of Deeds

I would like to comment on the article ran Wednesday December 22nd 2010 "Shopping Spree said One of The best Ever". My experience and story is much different. My son goes to S.F.E.S. and is in Mrs. Penny's class. Mrs. Penny went out of her way, cause of school being closed for snow, to make sure my son got to participate in this event. I met Mrs. Penny at the school on Wednesday December 15th at 11:30am so that I could sign the permission form. Mrs. Penny drove from Jamestown to the school just for us.
On Friday December 17th, we received a call from Ms Judy Dixon King letting us know the event was changed from the York Institute at 7-10 and moved to Good Shepard Church at 12-3. This upset me right away due to the great lenght's his teacher and I went to so that he could participate, and a concelation gift was to be given.
We did as instructed and did not go to the York Institute, but did go to the G.S.C. at noon. My son received one wrapped gift with three used presents inside. Just happy he participated in something that day, we went on home.
I called the Wal-Mart manager, and spoke to Shawn, after seeing the event was held in the Wednesday paper. Shawn told me he didn't have any information, just that he knew some of the children were missing.
I then called the local Radio Station WDEB and the DJ told me that the children got to spend $60.00 and was given breakfast. He also said that if we missed the event to call Mrs. Faye Stevens at the Reg. of Deeds, she was the one in charge. I tried calling for the rest of the week and got no answer. On December 27th Mrs. Stevens finally answered her phone and told me I was too late, she helped all she could the previous Monday and Tuesday, and there was nothing more she could do. Mrs. Stevens did not know why we got that call on Friday night, but that we should of drove the hour and fifteen minutes anyways Saturday morning. Mrs. Stevens told me that she may call me back, but more than likely, she would not.
My son missed out on something special that I tried to prepare him for ahead of time. Then I had to explain to him that it was not going to happen. I wanted to share my story with all who was involved in this event and this mishap, in hopes that another 5 year old boy or girl wont be misled and disappointed next year.
I would like to know what steps can be taken to inform the parents on the events happening better. Also, what other way can announcements be made other than on the radio? I personally do not listen to the radio. Also, if your job is to call and inform parents of events, try to make sure they have a full understanding of what you are trying to convey.
At this point all I could do was write our story down for others to learn from. As well as explain to my son that his first event of this kind was not going to happen, at least not this year. Thank you for your time and listening to our story. Happy New Year.
-Jackie Wilson
Parent

Jamestown, TN

#2 Jan 3, 2011
If you ever notice anything they have is the best they ever have.I am sorry your son had to miss out. After all it is for the little children.I bet if this was held before election Ms. Stephens would have had time to help you.
Jackie Wilson

Jamestown, TN

#3 Jan 3, 2011
Yes I have noticed things are run a lot differently here than in Florida where I am from. I just hope this raises awareness.
Concerned

Jamestown, TN

#4 Jan 3, 2011
Yes it is different than most places. It is who you know and it shouldn't be this way. It should only be about the children. I wish the people of this County would be more aware of what goes on around them.
Concerned Parent

Jamestown, TN

#5 Jan 20, 2011
I think she is another one in the court house that needs to go. She has been in there way too long.She is old enough to draw her social security.
A Mother

Jamestown, TN

#6 Feb 9, 2011
You got that right. She has been in there way too long.Step over Ms. Stephens and let someone else have it for a while.
Carl

Jamestown, TN

#7 Jul 6, 2011
WE need to vote her out people.She is an LPN and needs to go back to nursing, Let someone else have a chance,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fentress County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
beware of dale fulks presure pro painting May 12 payee 1
jason smith Apr '15 friend 1
Justin and Joel Smith Apr '15 Baby Momma 1
Who is being chased on foot in banner area Apr '15 curious 1
Conatser family of Fentress Co., TN (Mar '08) Apr '15 A Mom 53
gordon cravens (Mar '12) Mar '15 Bridgette cravens 5
News Fentress Co. economy may depend on empty busine... (Apr '09) Feb '15 just saying 9
More from around the web