Jamestown seeks yard sale regulations

Jamestown seeks yard sale regulations

There are 32 comments on the WBIR-TV Knoxville story from Nov 10, 2009, titled Jamestown seeks yard sale regulations. In it, WBIR-TV Knoxville reports that:

The city of Jamestown is home to the Fentress County Chamber of Commerce, the official headquarters for the annual "World's Longest Yard Sale" on Highway 127.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBIR-TV Knoxville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
I read it

Cosby, TN

#1 Nov 11, 2009
Read some of the comments about this article. Very interesting.

BTW..they are at the bottom

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#2 Nov 11, 2009
Yard Sales in Jamestown "Thread"

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/jamestown-tn/...
article

Cosby, TN

#3 Nov 11, 2009

“Obama said the USA is "one ”

Since: Mar 08

nation under Allah"? PROVE IT!

#4 Nov 11, 2009
its pretty sad that all the jamestown politicians have to do is worry about Granny making a dolalr selling some pot holders she knitted.

Who the hell's business is it if a citizen wants to have a yardsale every freaking day?

Vote these politicians out and elect some that will tackle the REAL problems that a sh!thole like Jamestown faces.

“www.tntaxrevolt. org”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#5 Nov 11, 2009
mr mojo risin wrote:
Who the hell's business is it if a citizen wants to have a yardsale every freaking day?
Mojo, That isnt the issue. These are people who buy and RESALE. No different than any other legit business except they get by with no license,sales tax number, etc, etc.

Joe Schmoe cleaning out his garage or Susie Q selling clothes her kids outgrown or no longer wear isn't the issue. Nice try at spinning the facts though.
FYI

Crossville, TN

#6 Nov 11, 2009
mr mojo risin wrote:
Vote these politicians out and elect some that will tackle the REAL problems that a sh!thole like Jamestown faces.
What are the REAL problems you're referring to?
what

Jamestown, TN

#7 Nov 11, 2009
I think they will have to have some regulations now or I will do the same. Wal-mart may even claim to be a yard sale. Then they can drop prices and put the rest of you out of buisness.
sassy byrdstown tenn

Rowesville, SC

#8 Nov 12, 2009
that is about the stupids thing i have ever heard of, these people that try to make a little money to help with food or bills, they work hard at this, it ain,t no fun job, trust me i know,i have a yard sale up at the truetest flea market i don,t make a lot of money, but it does help, all you big shot smartasses up in town that talk about our little jamestown being such a wonderfull place to live. you know it realy would be if it was managed by people with a heart and feeling for the under priveledged. but in the BIBLE, GOD said the rich will get richer and the poor gets poorer.so i will go to my church and you go to your,s. God have mercy on us all!!!!!!!!

“www.tntaxrevolt. org”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#9 Nov 12, 2009
Sassy, should we do away with business license's, tax numbers, etc for legit businesses??

If you are the occasional yard seller cleaning out your closets and garage...That is fine. But if you are buying and reselling merchandise,you are a BUSINESS, and should have to jump thru the same red tape everyone else has to.
clean it up

Jamestown, TN

#10 Nov 12, 2009
mr mojo risin wrote:
its pretty sad that all the jamestown politicians have to do is worry about Granny making a dolalr selling some pot holders she knitted.
Funny you called jamestown a shithole because that is exactly what all these so called yard sales make it look like. You are lucky they don't make you get a permit to have one and take your signs down everyday or be fined. You complain about the politicians whenever they do try to do something for the good of the community. Oh yeah I don't know if there is but there should be a law that their election signs have to be got up within one week after the vote. Or they to get fined for every sign left out. Time to clean this place up. Its one thing to be a poor community its another to have filth an trash all over. Reminds me of a certain neighorhood on the other side of town where I came from. Thinking about it there were lots of drugs being sold there to.
what

Jamestown, TN

#11 Nov 12, 2009
Little Crab Bound wrote:
Sassy, should we do away with business license's, tax numbers, etc for legit businesses??
If you are the occasional yard seller cleaning out your closets and garage...That is fine. But if you are buying and reselling merchandise,you are a BUSINESS, and should have to jump thru the same red tape everyone else has to.
I agree with LCB completely on this. I read the article and two a month is plenty. A free permit and no collecting of taxes I don't see where the problem is. My mother is limited to how many she can have where she lives and when she can have one people flock to it within a couple days she sells a lot then just puts whats left back up or throws it away if it is junk. I can't tell you how many I drive by because I see them everyday, let us see a new one or one that is set up once in a while and we almost always stop.
what

Jamestown, TN

#12 Nov 12, 2009
I hope they remember to exempt the 127 from permits and from time counted towards the monthly yard sales that people have.
Concerned

Buffalo Valley, TN

#13 Nov 12, 2009
what wrote:
I hope they remember to exempt the 127 from permits and from time counted towards the monthly yard sales that people have.
I thought you were not going to post on this subject any more. BTW, you didn't answer my question. Is your name Neely?
And about the Wal-Mart remark. Well I for one have tried to explain to you that Wal-Mart does not sell used goods. Does someone need to draw you a picture?

You have the audacity to call everyone else stupid. Maybe you should look in the mirror when you call someone stupid again.
what

Jamestown, TN

#14 Nov 12, 2009
Couldn't help myself. Ok forget Wal-Mart there are plenty of legit business that do sell used goods. No my name is not Neely. I did not call everyone stupid. Not everyone wants to see this trash everyday. Im sorry if you fell into that category. I understand there are two sides too this that is why we have elected officials. The majority do not hold these so called yard sales everyday. I would be all for a vote on this matter on a regular election day.

“'ello”

Since: Nov 09

burkettsville

#15 Nov 12, 2009
i'm torn on this issue.

on the one hand, i agree that someone who sets up and operates a sale every day, selling out of the same area, buying and reselling packaged goods, should qualify as a legitimate business and should have to go through the channels that all small businesses have to.

on the other hand, when you regulate those people, the people who have the occasional yard sale are going to suffer more than them. two a month is pretty good, but forcing someone to get a permit to have a yard sale, especially on their own property, is an infringement on personal rights.

so i don't know. maybe if they could limit the regulations to sales held out of rental places, and not to sales held on people's own personal property, i might get more behind it.

also, if it's true that r.c. neely is behind this push for yard sale regulations because he's opening a flea market and renting out spaces...well, that's just sleazy.
agree

Cosby, TN

#16 Nov 12, 2009
poetaster wrote:
i'm torn on this issue.
on the one hand, i agree that someone who sets up and operates a sale every day, selling out of the same area, buying and reselling packaged goods, should qualify as a legitimate business and should have to go through the channels that all small businesses have to.
on the other hand, when you regulate those people, the people who have the occasional yard sale are going to suffer more than them. two a month is pretty good, but forcing someone to get a permit to have a yard sale, especially on their own property, is an infringement on personal rights.
so i don't know. maybe if they could limit the regulations to sales held out of rental places, and not to sales held on people's own personal property, i might get more behind it.
also, if it's true that r.c. neely is behind this push for yard sale regulations because he's opening a flea market and renting out spaces...well, that's just sleazy.
Very good post. I agree!
Mean momma

Ford City, PA

#17 Nov 16, 2009
what wrote:
<quoted text> I agree with LCB completely on this. I read the article and two a month is plenty. A free permit and no collecting of taxes I don't see where the problem is. My mother is limited to how many she can have where she lives and when she can have one people flock to it within a couple days she sells a lot then just puts whats left back up or throws it away if it is junk. I can't tell you how many I drive by because I see them everyday, let us see a new one or one that is set up once in a while and we almost always stop.
The only problem with the two a month deal is that they will start it there but before the stop there will be no more yard sales the high & mighty politicans are so greedy they want their cut,I never thought I would ever agree with Mojo but for once I do,Why can't these people in charge see that people are hurting and need to make money to stay afloat ,No jobs higer tax'es,higher energy rates,cost of living completly out of hand,I can't understand LCB for siding with this I'm dissapointed with him..
what

Jamestown, TN

#18 Nov 17, 2009
I can't see them ever doing away with yard sales completely. Most places have been limiting the number you can have for years and do not collect taxes on them, some do charge for permits. One of the articles I read said the permits would be free. I don't get how this equates to them lining there pockets with more cash. The permits would be used simply to help enforce the law. I really think it would be a step in the right direction. Sometimes I look at these places and feel like I am in a third world country. They take so much away from the beauty of this place. You have lived this way so long you just don't see how bad it looks. In order for this place to ever become something there has got to be some change. On one hand you cry its a poor community and on the other you refuse change. How can the leaders here ever make the changes needed in order for Jamestown to prosper if you always give them flack. You all want the results without the effort. You will never please everybody all the time. You have Dale Hollow, Big South Fork and Sgt. Yorks birthplace all right here and lets not forget the 127 once a year. If you go on vacation where do you go? Is it to the dump or somewhere that looks nice? You have a lot here I think its time to do something with it. The tourist thing could be played so well here. Some of you could be making money doing the things you love most playing, singing and dancing. Clogging would even be an attraction its all in how you present this place. There are so many ideas in my head I can't list them all. I have been many a place that did not have near as much to offer and the tourist were walking up and down the streets buying all kinds of stuff even from licensed street vendors lots of snacks being sold during the day and dinner shows at night. Sorry for getting carried away its just I see a lot of talent here going to waste. Don't get me wrong it would not happen overnight but there is a lot here to offer.
toast

Saluda, SC

#20 Nov 19, 2009
A great example of whats good for Jamestown, Huh? They dont want you to complain. They dont give a hoot, whats good for YOU...
howdumb

Strunk, KY

#21 Nov 19, 2009
what

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fentress County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who will be appointed to sheriff now Apr 21 Ms Kitty 2
Conatser family of Fentress Co., TN (Mar '08) Apr 12 Tammyr 61
News FBI, TBI investigate Fentress County Sheriffa s... Apr 11 looook out 1
beware of dale fulks presure pro painting (May '15) Jan '17 Catdod 3
Pine Haven School told by Mike Jones to take do... (Mar '12) Jan '17 Respect all relig... 12
Johnny and Jeff Brannon (Jul '13) Jan '17 Duck head 81 3
Beware!!! (Jan '16) Jan '17 Shut the fk up 4
More from around the web