York Institute High School to be demolished in Jamestown

Jun 25, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WATE-TV Knoxville

The original, dilapidated York Institute building in Jamestown will be demolished after Fentress County commissioners declined to take it over and restore it.

Comments
61 - 80 of 80 Comments Last updated Nov 23, 2008
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
oldtruck

Allons, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#61
Sep 30, 2008
 
Actully we need to focus on helping the lost pepole find jesus crist before it is to late.
frazzled

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#62
Sep 30, 2008
 
It seems that most people have forgot that thre old building was supposed to be torn down when the new school was built. They had to have the old bldg condeemed to get the new school even built. I have been told that Mrs, York was still alive then and that she talked them out of tearing it down. were was the patriotic foundation then, were they are today wanting the state to pay the way wanting something for nothing. They wernt jumping thru there butts for it then
Homeshopper2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, the building is locked and fenced in so since it hasn't been distrubed how is it affecting your health? Unless you stick your head thru a window after you cling the 8ft fence it shouldn't effect you. I also want to mention that the moran that built the new school so close is to blame for this problem. There is trees, dirt, and plaster on the bottom floor which came from the roof because they let the roof get in such bad shape before anyone tried to do something, there wasn't any dead bodies in the building so if you are going to comment make sure your are accurate. If it hadn't been for folks like Alvin York this young lady wouldn't have the ability to voice her opinion, I think the building should be saved if at all possible.It has steel I-beams between the first and second floor and the only thing I see happening is that the second floor might cave in on the first floor if something isn't done. I don't believe the building is in danger of collasping and it isn't leaning 25 degrees. If it hadn't been for Alvin York this girl might not even have a school to attend its like they say no good deed goes unpunished. Show some respect and honor for such a great mad. Bev
Lisa Copeland

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#63
Sep 30, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I have two children at YAI. I am also concerned about their safety and their health. I graduated from YAI and am glad for the opportunity to have an education but i also feel that my children's lives are in danger from the old building falling. If we as parents don't stand up for our children and other children who don't have parent's to stand up for them what is this world coming too. The building needs to be torn down. Mr. York would not want children and teachers lives to be in danger, he would want them to have a danger free education.
TrAcI CoOk At yAi

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#64
Oct 3, 2008
 
yeah what i think about that building is its glory dayes a long forrgotten and OVER!! it is endangering all faculty staff and students!!! a majority of students have classes very near that building if it falls i dont care what they got blocked off it can fall farther than that just get rid of it so we wont have to take all these stupid precautions !!!! we dont want to die beause sgt yorks sons dont want there daddys building tore down "this building is perfectly sturdy look at it" yeah okay look at the interview video mr york when u said that there was a giant tree hanging out the side of the building nice !!
infomercial

Bloomington Springs, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#65
Oct 8, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Stop scaring our children needlessly and allow the York people and the Historical Foundation to do what they say they will or else tear it down.But it's not costing anyone in the county 1 penny to leave them alone and give them their shot at doing what no one else seemed to be able or willing to do in the past.Why NOW ,after someone has come up with what looks to be a workable plan is everyone (THE CITY)trying so hard to stand in their way.It very well may be above my head as to what's happening in the background ,but make NO mistake ,SOMETHING IS !!
abc

Wichita Falls, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66
Oct 9, 2008
 

Judged:

1

whats so sad is that people like you guys spend your free time on blogs like this typing comments back and forth about some building when you can be spending your time more wisely and mow your grass or pick the garbage off the side of the road and try to make fentress co. look better and now i've stooped this low just to take my time to write this message 3 minutes of my life that i'll never get back
abc

Wichita Falls, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#67
Oct 9, 2008
 
p.s im from fentress co not wichita falls just here for the military

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#68
Oct 9, 2008
 

Judged:

1

abc wrote:
whats so sad is that people like you guys spend your free time on blogs like this typing comments back and forth about some building when you can be spending your time more wisely and mow your grass or pick the garbage off the side of the road and try to make fentress co. look better and now i've stooped this low just to take my time to write this message 3 minutes of my life that i'll never get back
Actually this forum can be a very healthy way to debate things,learn different info that you might not have come across,broaden your horizons some.But for some unfortunately,they come on here to hurt people and that is wrong.If someone comes on here to bash someone then I totally agree.
Philip

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#69
Oct 10, 2008
 
Just read a news clip that said York Inst Was built by Mr York. York institute was built by the state in honor of mr York. Then York was moved from the old building to a new building. York institute School will hopefully will be there a long time. But the old building needs to go. My coments is not to degrade Mr York. He was and is a great hero and person. Just my 2c
sgt york facts

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#70
Oct 10, 2008
 
Actually sgt. york put some of his own money to build the school (10,000 dollars to be exact) and he mortgaged his own home to pay the teaches salaries TWICE, and he paid out of his own pocket for the buses to run, and this is before the state took over in 1937. HE BUILT THAT SCHOOL!!! and no Im not a family member. Im not saying whether to tear it down or not. just stating facts!!!!
ashamed

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#71
Oct 10, 2008
 
sgt york facts wrote:
Actually sgt. york put some of his own money to build the school (10,000 dollars to be exact) and he mortgaged his own home to pay the teaches salaries TWICE, and he paid out of his own pocket for the buses to run, and this is before the state took over in 1937. HE BUILT THAT SCHOOL!!! and no Im not a family member. Im not saying whether to tear it down or not. just stating facts!!!!
Thank you for some truth--it is obvious many of our fellow citizens do not know the facts about a lot of aspects of this issue. If in fact we can honor him without a historic building that will bring tourist dollars and jobs to this area,(and let's face it ,we aren't getting any industry), then surely we should at least try to honor him by "educating" ourselves on the facts about his work and sacrifices and dedication to build his beloved schools( I include his Bible school here). Not a York either but would be proud to be one and to have a relative such as this.
sgt york facts

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#72
Oct 10, 2008
 
Ya alot of people do not know about his bible school. He built it in 1942 from the proceeds he received from the sgt york movie (1941). He did alot of good things with schools, roads, churches, and this isn't about whether or not to save an old school. Its about what he did for Fentress County.
momma

Paris, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#73
Nov 12, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

1

The building is a major eye sore!!! The city looks like trash because of buildings that have been unmaintained... It should have been gone a long time ago!
up the road

Albany, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#74
Nov 12, 2008
 

Judged:

2

2

2

why has it took so long for something to be done?
It looks like if people wanted the building to be saved they should have started years ago instead of waiting until now when its falling apart.Now it would be costly to repair.
my word

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#75
Nov 14, 2008
 
Take it down and build a new one just like the old one. It's a beautiful building...

Since: Sep 08

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#76
Nov 17, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I see that you all are concerned for the saftey of the children but nevertheless the building will not fall. There was an article in the paper that states the building is sound as ever. The building was built to honor Alvin C. York and not only that but he was there to help do it all, he put his time, his sweat and blood into this. Why can't be do that to keep it going? Old Truck, I am with you one hundred percent on this matter. If you parents and students are worried about the unsaved teachers and children then help by telling them about salvation through Jesus Christ. The building will not fall. I believe it will not and not just that but I know it won't. It states in the bible if you have the faith of a mustard seed (the smallest seed in the world ) then you can move a mountain then I know if I just keep my faith in God that building will not fall. I will remember all of you in my prayers and I just hope you see what I mean and take what I have said into consideration.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#77
Nov 17, 2008
 
Delana of YAI wrote:
I see that you all are concerned for the saftey of the children but nevertheless the building will not fall. There was an article in the paper that states the building is sound as ever. The building was built to honor Alvin C. York and not only that but he was there to help do it all, he put his time, his sweat and blood into this. Why can't be do that to keep it going? Old Truck, I am with you one hundred percent on this matter. If you parents and students are worried about the unsaved teachers and children then help by telling them about salvation through Jesus Christ. The building will not fall. I believe it will not and not just that but I know it won't. It states in the bible if you have the faith of a mustard seed (the smallest seed in the world ) then you can move a mountain then I know if I just keep my faith in God that building will not fall. I will remember all of you in my prayers and I just hope you see what I mean and take what I have said into consideration.
There are times that God says no.He did to Paul.But please continue with your prayers,we need them.

“I'm going apeshit...”

Since: Mar 08

Fentress

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#78
Nov 17, 2008
 
Delana of YAI wrote:
I see that you all are concerned for the saftey of the children but nevertheless the building will not fall. There was an article in the paper that states the building is sound as ever. The building was built to honor Alvin C. York and not only that but he was there to help do it all, he put his time, his sweat and blood into this. Why can't be do that to keep it going? Old Truck, I am with you one hundred percent on this matter. If you parents and students are worried about the unsaved teachers and children then help by telling them about salvation through Jesus Christ. The building will not fall. I believe it will not and not just that but I know it won't. It states in the bible if you have the faith of a mustard seed (the smallest seed in the world ) then you can move a mountain then I know if I just keep my faith in God that building will not fall. I will remember all of you in my prayers and I just hope you see what I mean and take what I have said into consideration.
NEWS FLASH! The article was written by the YORKS' publicist! Can you say bias???
Here and There

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#79
Nov 23, 2008
 
They can build a SAFE replica of the building. No it is not currently usable because IT IS FALLING DOWN ON IT"S OWN!!!! Hello! Notice that big fence around it!That's so the bricks don't fall on people! If it were safe to use, guess what? They would use it!
History

Allardt, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#80
Nov 23, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Here and There wrote:
They can build a SAFE replica of the building. No it is not currently usable because IT IS FALLING DOWN ON IT"S OWN!!!! Hello! Notice that big fence around it!That's so the bricks don't fall on people! If it were safe to use, guess what? They would use it!
REPLICA??!?! Are you kidding? What would that say about us, as Americans? Would you want a replica of the White House, of Mount Rushmore, of the Hermitage, of the State Capital, the Fentress County Courthouse, or any other place with history? I would not.

Visit here to see local historic places; http://www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.c... ; I bet that most of you didn't know these places were listed as a Historic Places.

C'mon people, the building is going to be saved and eventually used for our kids. Given it's not going to happen overnight and the school will have to deal with the inconveniences that comes with that. Once completed you all will sit back and say that you are glad that it wasn't torn down.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Fentress County Discussions

Search the Fentress County Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Morgan County mom says toddler son who died in ... Jul 11 justiceagaisntbabykillers 1
Fentress County Deputy terminated after a Jun '14 DeDominicis 1
Officals will try to arrest 50+ people in Fentr... Jun '14 SAD 4
Former Fentress fire captain arrested Apr '14 ELY 1
Pine Haven School told by Mike Jones to take do... (Mar '12) Apr '14 Naked_Boar_Hunter 11
baseball/tee ball tryouts Mar '14 Samantha Brown 1
Former Volunteer Firefighter Arrested In Fentre... Mar '14 Wayne Upchurch 14
•••
•••