More dam releases sought for Fayette whitewater

Oct 1, 2012 Full story: Charleston Gazette 33

A coalition of outfitters and other groups says increasing water releases from Hawks Nest Dam would create more than 5 miles of new whitewater in Fayette County.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Drugsarebad

Danielson, CT

#22 Oct 26, 2012
Share the power wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should a private company get a lower rate for power and not the citizens of WV? River should run at normal levels that benefit everyone and the river. Put that power on the grid for all citizens of WV to help lower their rates as well, it will create more jobs for all of us jutt not a few hundred at Alloy.
. Because alloy has a contract with the state when they built the dam the state said if the dam didnt run power to the plant the dam would have to be removed a lower rate huh how much you think their power bill is cause I know
Spice

Oak Hill, WV

#23 Oct 26, 2012
Sure thing and at th free boat famp for fishermen, the NPS will be giving away free night crawlers and a peanut butter and jelly sandwidge!yippie lets do it!!!!
Pepper

United States

#24 Oct 27, 2012
Drugsarebad wrote:
<quoted text>. Because alloy has a contract with the state when they built the dam the state said if the dam didnt run power to the plant the dam would have to be removed a lower rate huh how much you think their power bill is cause I know
We all know that WV has the best politicans money can buy. At the time hawks nest tunnel and dam were built there was a feud between who controlled water ways, states or feds... WV slipped in with deal which resulted in the deaths of thousands building tunnel.

If WV state gov was still in charge FERC would not be involved in the relicence of this dam . Its already been ruled removal of dam is not a option. How much is their power bill since you know? And why should citizens of WV not share in power reduction as well when its in their back yard? Why should folks fishing not have a better quality of water more CFS in the dries?
Spice

Oak Hill, WV

#25 Oct 27, 2012
By the time we find out the real reason these Fat Cats want this done it will be too late to complain about it,we are all being playeed like a fiddle,the NPS and Becktel,and Boy Scouts are blowing major smoke folks!
JJR

Bellevue, WA

#26 Nov 4, 2012
"The Dries" should be left as it is now. The argument that increasing flows from Hawks Nest would create greater recreational opportunity just doesn't (pardon the pun) hold water. Rarely is an opportunity created without another being closed. "The Dries" provides recreational opportunities to many as it is.
As a fly-fisherman who prefers to wade in my pursuit of smallmouth bass, I, and many others like me, would lose the only local spot to pursue our passion. Gone would be the generations-old tradition of camping with one's family and friends to enjoy a night of catfishing. Gone would be a place where children learned to hear the voice of the river as their parents and grandparents did.
Do not misunderstand. I believe in business. I believe that the rafting companies have been an economic boon to Fayette County. I also believe that enough is enough. Perhaps opening "The Dries" would allow a few more rafting trips per day for these companies. Perhaps they see only a way to make a little more money. I understand the desire for business expansion. I also understand the need for tradition.
I thank the rafting companies for the benefit they have provided the area. I would like to see the rafting companies thank the local populace by, occasionally, leaving things as they are and letting us enjoy the river on our terms, not theirs.
sugar

Oak Hill, WV

#27 Nov 4, 2012
i would like to ride these trails that are gated off! the park service doesnt allow us to ride..im too old now to walk or ride a damm bicycle. i do have a 4 wheeler to ride,an would really enjoy this! why cant we locals ride the gorge? 4 wheelers dont hurt nothin when rode responsibly! i bet if these rafting companys wanted to start a 4 wheeler trail in the gorge it would be just fine
Vegitarian

Beckley, WV

#28 Nov 8, 2012
I think the releases would be schedualed and not too many of them because the lake is pretty small to give up water when it isnt raining, but I still hope they dont bother. I agree with JRR the economic impact will be soo minimal as to be considered a joke. But from what I have seen over the past 30 years as a kayaker, FERC will issue some form of release program, because they have been giving releases since the 80's when boating interests started demanding they up in the great state of New York, the home of grassroots whitewater litlgation.

Since: Nov 12

Summersville, WV

#29 Nov 9, 2012
Good policy decisions are based on logic, not visceral reactions to inaccurate information. If you're interested in WVPRO's actual stance, rather than the rumors and innuendo surrounding it, here you go:

http://www.americasbestwhitewater.com/wet-the...
JJR

Bellevue, WA

#30 Nov 13, 2012
Mr. Young, I posted to this thread only after reading the information to which (not "witch" as the writer of the aforementioned information used incorrectly) you refer. I had seen several signs in the Ansted area advertising "Wet the dries." These aroused my curiosity, so I visited the website. It was the information, or lack thereof, provided by the site, that prompted my post. The website refers to increased access for commercial use, but does not address non-commercial, individual access.
Make no mistake. I am not a "tree hugger." As I have stated, I am a believer in business and the use of natural resources. I am an outdoorsman. I fish, and occasionally hunt, the latter being hampered by severe back injuries suffered years ago. When the WV DNR restricted vehicular access to the Cotton Hill area, that greatly reduced my ability to enjoy my favorite fishing area. I have seen no indication in WVPRO's own words that such access would not be further restricted.
Again, I say that I applaud the rafting companies, and the economic benefits which they have provided the communities of Fayette County. There have been times when I have found myself at odds with their policies and/or practices. It appears that this is one of those times.
Vegitarian

Beckley, WV

#31 Nov 15, 2012
JJR, I have never understood why the access road upstream of Cotton Hill Bridge was closed years back. Just limkits access to all the fishing trails upstream for people with moibility issues, and makes that area all the more underutilized.
okay

Mount Hope, WV

#32 Nov 15, 2012
I have no problem with tourist coming to enjoy the rivers. I do have problems with some of the rafting companies who think they own every thing. Not only do they fight each other but locals as well. I was walking the trail from thurmond to cunard one time when people from ACE tried to chace me off saying they owned the land. I laughed at them and ignored them. Next thing I know park ranger and a deputy appeared and I was being accused of shooting at the horses they were supposedly riding.

I didnt have a gun and mother nature was on my side. It had been raining and there was plenty of mud puddles all over the trail. Yet the ace people couldnt show us even one horse track of where their horses had been on the trail like they claimed.

The ranger just shook his head and the deputy gave the ace workers a warning about harrassing people on park property.

I have had no bad experiences with any of the other companies but I sure would love to see Ace go bankrupt.
JJR

Bellevue, WA

#33 Nov 15, 2012
The Cotton Hill area was restricted to vehicles after the DNR agent who oversaw it retired. I was told (of course, this is hearsay) that those who took over those duties got access restricted and camping banned there to make their jobs easier. The same gentleman who oversaw Cotton Hill oversaw Kanawha Falls, as well. After his retirement, I was driving past Kanawha Falls one day. The shoreline was overgrown with brush and weeds. This, to me, lends some validity to the story of the agent's replacements.
cuz

United States

#34 Nov 16, 2012
Well the way things are goin if ya wana stay in fayette county ya better break out yer river gear. And hippies are people to. Just stay upwind.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fayette County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Double Murder In Raleigh County (Nov '11) Aug '14 meme 86
Fayette Schools Gain Partial Control Of School ... Aug '14 JerryD 1
Body Believed To Be Missing Fayette County Man ... Aug '14 Oak Hill 3
Fayette County man charged with Oak Hill rail t... Jul '14 DIRTY OLD MAN 40
Two Women Critically Injured In House Fire (Mar '14) Jul '14 concerned 13
Fayette Deputies Searching For Missing Man Jul '14 You know nothing 10
Problem doctor to be sentenced Thursday in Faye... Jul '14 Instigator 1

Fayette County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE