What would happen if Rand Paul, allie...

What would happen if Rand Paul, allies kill Education Department?

There are 12 comments on the McClatchy DC story from Sep 18, 2010, titled What would happen if Rand Paul, allies kill Education Department?. In it, McClatchy DC reports that:

If calls by Kentucky Republican Senate candidate Rand Paul and fellow tea party conservatives to abolish the U.S. Department of Education are successful, the move could adversely impact the nation's economically disadvantaged students - including thousands of schoolchildren in rural Appalachian Kentucky districts.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at McClatchy DC.

Steve

Morehead, KY

#1 Sep 18, 2010
That's right lets keep pouring billions of dollars into a program that doesn't work!
RKM

Springfield, OH

#2 Sep 18, 2010
Steve wrote:
That's right lets keep pouring billions of dollars into a program that doesn't work!
I am all for getting rid of the US DOE. It should have never even been created. IF and I say IF, the states themselves could get back to the old school(no pun intended) way of doing things and properly managing tax dollars the way they should be then the states could be self supportive and would not need government funding.

As it stands, the feds put these rules and restrictions on state level education systems that forces all schools to operate the same way. The problem with this is that these rules do not take into account the diversity of the individual states and geographical differences that would force education to be a little different in certain areas. It cant work that way, each state has different needs which only they are aware of, or should be. The feds do not exactly know what these needs are, but yet forces the schools to abide by their rules regardless of those needs. Perfect example, these standardized tests. I would love to see just one state stand up and tell the US DOE to stick it, we do not want your money and we will not be following your rules any more, we are doing it our way.

Now, for the colleges. An even bigger joke. Lets face it, everyone cannot go to college, and in my experience there are a lot of people in school that should not be there anyways. Then, coupled with the fact that society says go to college to get a job, well, there are no jobs right now. Then society says it is too hard to get into colleges. So the feds, in their infinite wisdom says "no problem, we will help". So they start picking up the tab for people to go to school that may not even want to be there, but pressure from society forces them to. But the kicker is really what has happened since the feds starting picking up the tab for practically every single person out there. Once the colleges realized that the government would pay the tuition costs, they started raising their tuition rates knowing the feds would still pay it regardless to justify money for other means. But then for those that could afford it before the feds got involved are forced to get money from the feds themselves because the tuition hikes have put them into a position to not be able afford it either. So, then they become part of the system as well. It is a chain reaction that has gotten entirely out of hand. I guarantee that if the US DOE went away, you would see the colleges dropping their tuition rates when there was no more federal money padding their coffers. Then the education system would start showing some practical benefit, and you would start to see colleges full of people that actually want to be there.

Then as far as the elementary, middle and high schools go, you would start to see the school systems take control again and start doing what is right, and forget about what is politically correct and what is "easy". Society has really screwed this up with the attitude of 'lets make everything easy", people need challenges and making things easy, does not prepare people for real life scenarios.

As far as I am concerned, if the US DOE went away; good bye and good riddance.
racefanrob

Danville, KY

#3 Sep 18, 2010
The American Way is threatened by Un-American intities. Mostly Industries that take our jobs overseas for cheap labor, then bring the products back here top the U.S. and sell it to us for premium prices. Our Family buy used clothing at Goodwill, Salvation Army and yard sales. I say make them think about what happens when you bite the hand that feeds you. Unless it say American Made or Made in U.S.A. I don't buy it anymore. Even if these Giants get their Taxcuts for the Rich , they still won't create us any jobs. I say contact your congress men and inform them that the Taxcuts for the Rich need to expire. And pass those Small Business Bill immediately. As of meaning this coming week !

Buy used, or Made in the U.S.A.!
Vote against the Nutty Professor for U.S. Senate in November. He does not know what is and is not good for Kentuckians. He overcharged Medicare for Ganny's glasses too !
racefanrob

Danville, KY

#4 Sep 18, 2010
Let's ask this, as did the Kentucky Republican Party, If Rand Paul became a U.S. Senator for Kentucky, what good would he be for Kentucky ?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/5/19/86808...

NONE !

And this is straight from the mouths of the representitives for the GOP in Kentucky. Who does this Tea Party want us to believe ? Them ... or our trust fellow Kentuckians ? I say vote for a Kentuckian to represent Kentuckians.
New York ? Texas ?
Where does Kentucky fit in his agenda ?
Nowhere !

“Jody”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#5 Sep 18, 2010
I grow weary of Rand Paul's "Do it on the local level" songs. He knows damn well the local levels are unlevel. Kentucky is especially diverse when it comes to community capability to raise funds. Equal education opportunity would take a nose dive. Future economy would follow suit.

Education is an investment in America's future. America, not just Kentucky. The US expects a future return for educating our children. Therefore, America has a responsibility to standardize and aid education. Education must remain globally competitive or America will lose her grip on the global reins.

Rand Paul is dangerous. He's reminds of the adage "one step forward and two back". If we elect this ego, who says one thing and has a history of doing the other,..??.. who are we to blame when the obvious happens? Oh, I know,.. our local officals!

What ever happened to America's motto, "United We Stand, Divided We Fall"?
Joe

Harrodsburg, KY

#6 Sep 18, 2010
Maybe our children might get a proper education for a change.
racefanrob

Danville, KY

#7 Sep 18, 2010
Joe wrote:
Maybe our children might get a proper education for a change.
And maybe not ?

I ain't got time for no tea party.
I've gotta work for a living !

wowwwwwwwwwwwww

Prestonsburg, KY

#8 Sep 18, 2010
RKM wrote:
<quoted text>
I am all for getting rid of the US DOE. It should have never even been created. IF and I say IF, the states themselves could get back to the old school(no pun intended) way of doing things and properly managing tax dollars the way they should be then the states could be self supportive and would not need government funding.
As it stands, the feds put these rules and restrictions on state level education systems that forces all schools to operate the same way. The problem with this is that these rules do not take into account the diversity of the individual states and geographical differences that would force education to be a little different in certain areas. It cant work that way, each state has different needs which only they are aware of, or should be. The feds do not exactly know what these needs are, but yet forces the schools to abide by their rules regardless of those needs. Perfect example, these standardized tests. I would love to see just one state stand up and tell the US DOE to stick it, we do not want your money and we will not be following your rules any more, we are doing it our way.
Now, for the colleges. An even bigger joke. Lets face it, everyone cannot go to college, and in my experience there are a lot of people in school that should not be there anyways. Then, coupled with the fact that society says go to college to get a job, well, there are no jobs right now. Then society says it is too hard to get into colleges. So the feds, in their infinite wisdom says "no problem, we will help". So they start picking up the tab for people to go to school that may not even want to be there, but pressure from society forces them to. But the kicker is really what has happened since the feds starting picking up the tab for practically every single person out there. Once the colleges realized that the government would pay the tuition costs, they started raising their tuition rates knowing the feds would still pay it regardless to justify money for other means. But then for those that could afford it before the feds got involved are forced to get money from the feds themselves because the tuition hikes have put them into a position to not be able afford it either. So, then they become part of the system as well. It is a chain reaction that has gotten entirely out of hand. I guarantee that if the US DOE went away, you would see the colleges dropping their tuition rates when there was no more federal money padding their coffers. Then the education system would start showing some practical benefit, and you would start to see colleges full of people that actually want to be there.
Then as far as the elementary, middle and high schools go, you would start to see the school systems take control again and start doing what is right, and forget about what is politically correct and what is "easy". Society has really screwed this up with the attitude of 'lets make everything easy", people need challenges and making things easy, does not prepare people for real life scenarios.
As far as I am concerned, if the US DOE went away; good bye and good riddance.
This NEA is just an arm "BIG UNION" of the Democrat party. They could care less about our children, they want big dues from we teachers and put more Liberals on the payroll. Yea, I hope someone abolishes the Education Department, this has been talked about for forty years - just a waste of tax money. Vote Paul for senator Obama needs no more left wing liberals to completely bankrupt USA
Mr Hanky

Glasgow, KY

#9 Sep 18, 2010
If Rand thinks the local level is such a good way to run government, why hasn't he even been elected dog catcher in Bowling Green yet?

“Jody”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#11 Sep 19, 2010
Mr Hanky wrote:
If Rand thinks the local level is such a good way to run government, why hasn't he even been elected dog catcher in Bowling Green yet?
I've got a good local level idea for Rand,... why not set an example and stick to funding from his own local community to back his running ticket. Why should the other communities foot the bill? He isn't a senator yet.

I think the silver spoon syndrome has tarnished his brain cells.
Mr Hanky

Glasgow, KY

#12 Sep 19, 2010
off the trail wrote:
<quoted text>
I've got a good local level idea for Rand,... why not set an example and stick to funding from his own local community to back his running ticket. Why should the other communities foot the bill? He isn't a senator yet.
I think the silver spoon syndrome has tarnished his brain cells.
I certainly agree!

Rand Paul's largest campaign contributors?? Alamo PAC - Austin, TX WTF??

Jack Conway's largest campaign contributors? Commonwealth of Kentucky

http://www.opensecrets.org/races/contrib.php...

Maybe Rand just hasn't realized he's running for Senator in KENTUCKY yet, you know, to represent KENTUCKY'S interests in D.C.
Think somebody ought to tell him??
racefanrob

Danville, KY

#13 Sep 19, 2010
Mr Hanky wrote:
<quoted text>
I certainly agree!
Rand Paul's largest campaign contributors?? Alamo PAC - Austin, TX WTF??
Jack Conway's largest campaign contributors? Commonwealth of Kentucky
http://www.opensecrets.org/races/contrib.php...
Maybe Rand just hasn't realized he's running for Senator in KENTUCKY yet, you know, to represent KENTUCKY'S interests in D.C.
Think somebody ought to tell him??
Like I've been saying,
I ain't got time for no tea party.
I've gotta work for a living !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fayette County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Clays Ferry Music Thread (Apr '16) Dec '16 Musikologist 3
Athens Music Thread (Nov '13) Dec '16 Musikologist 8
Joseph Nelle Dec '16 Heather 1
looking for dean a cooper Oct '16 HELP ME FIND HIM 1
Fayette County Mugshots and Criminal Arrest Rec... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Isabella 2
Juan Campbell (Apr '16) Apr '16 Curious 1
Looking to relocate immediately (Feb '16) Feb '16 Need to relocate 1
More from around the web