C.F. Phelps WMA shooting range being over run

Posted in the Fauquier County Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of29
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
resident

Mclean, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 25, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Been going for quite a few years now and have noticed a recent trend of high capacity non-hunting firearms at the range (some with 100 round drum magazines). I go to sight in my scope with a bot action rifle and a shotgun. What I get is some kid next to me with a ar-15 blasting off rounds for hours on end. Seen a few people with keltec sub 9mm compact. The range is for sight in and hunters not tactical weapons. I have also noticed groups of these "black rifles" showing up at the range a few dozen at a time. It is unfair that they take up all the positions and hunker down for hours on end. The rules need to be changed to the rules set forth by the state on hunting. No rifles with a mag capacity of 5 rounds or more. It is only a matter of time before the range is shut down due to rapid fire and the use of non hunting firearms. Go to clark brothers if that's what you are looking for. Everyone I have talked to seems to be from the fairfax area and disregard the local hunters trying to sight in their rifles. Yet another good thing in this county has turned south. I hope the game warden in the area shows up on a given weekend and decides to change the rules
Eric K

Maplewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Feb 15, 2012
 
resident wrote:
Been going for quite a few years now and have noticed a recent trend of high capacity non-hunting firearms at the range (some with 100 round drum magazines). I go to sight in my scope with a bot action rifle and a shotgun. What I get is some kid next to me with a ar-15 blasting off rounds for hours on end. Seen a few people with keltec sub 9mm compact. The range is for sight in and hunters not tactical weapons. I have also noticed groups of these "black rifles" showing up at the range a few dozen at a time. It is unfair that they take up all the positions and hunker down for hours on end. The rules need to be changed to the rules set forth by the state on hunting. No rifles with a mag capacity of 5 rounds or more. It is only a matter of time before the range is shut down due to rapid fire and the use of non hunting firearms. Go to clark brothers if that's what you are looking for. Everyone I have talked to seems to be from the fairfax area and disregard the local hunters trying to sight in their rifles. Yet another good thing in this county has turned south. I hope the game warden in the area shows up on a given weekend and decides to change the rules
Is the firing range still being used by shooters with non-regulation/non-hunting auto weapons?
Bealeton Joe

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Feb 18, 2012
 
Interesting side to to this opinion. While I agree that non hunting fire arms should not be used in this venue I find it curious the statement "everyone seems to be from the Fairfax area..." Yet he signs his name from Mclean.
John in Manassas

Manassas, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Feb 28, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

I have hunting and tactical gear - the sighting range is open to both. Snobs of either type are the problem. If someone is waiting; don't hog a lane for familiarization firing or for sharing your rigle/shotgun with your friends. Get sighted in; fire some rounds to recall the feel of the gun, then get out of the way.

Also, many tactical rifles are outstanding for hunting; from varmint to big game. Purists of either stripe are welcome in the shooting community - just don't look down at those who shoot differently than you.
John in Manassas

Manassas, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Feb 28, 2012
 
Eric K wrote:
<quoted text>Is the firing range still being used by shooters with non-regulation/non-hunting auto weapons?
I have never seen an illegal firearm there; but I have seen semi-auto tactical rifles. The rangers don't care what you shoot as long as it is legal in Virginia and not restricted by the range rules.

The only thing that ever bothers me is when people camp in a lane forever, despite people waiting.
resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Mar 7, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Bealeton Joe wrote:
Interesting side to to this opinion. While I agree that non hunting fire arms should not be used in this venue I find it curious the statement "everyone seems to be from the Fairfax area..." Yet he signs his name from Mclean.
You are just so smart..... Ever think for a second I work in Mclean? Point is people are out their with AR-15's and AK-47 with side folders and high cap mags with eo-tech sights ect. Not a firearm you use for hunting. 5 round mag should be the rule. Go on youtube and search phelps.
resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Mar 7, 2012
 
And now it says alexandria.... Ever wonder where the internet traffic is routed? John in Manassas must not live in manassas as well but rather mclean. lol
George

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Mar 8, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

Who pays for the range? Seems to me the funds come from hunting licenses.

If so, the only restrictions should be those with hunting licenses and legal firearms.
George

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Mar 9, 2012
 
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/detail.asp...

Here are the rules and restrictions of this range.

As of January of this year, an access permit, available from the VGIF dept can be purchased in lieu of a valid hunting of fishing license.
Sam

Englewood, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Mar 14, 2012
 
thanks
sam

Fairfax, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
May 20, 2012
 
Im one of "thos" guys. I bring my m4 frequently. along with my sniper rifle. considered "tactical" ofcourse. my m4 doubles as a predator gun. and can you think of a better low light site than an eotech? I live in fauquier yet work in ffx. I go check my dope and am normally done and gone in 30 min. I have seen the little punk kids there who are NOT there to dope in and just there to throw lead down range. so what? theyre not hurting anyone. it can be an incomvienence to wait but again so what. they got there before you. what makes you think they should hurry up and move because you the almighty has shown up? wait your f'n turn just like they prolly had too. hell last time i was there i helped a 60 year old man site in his new M4 because he couldnt figure out how to work his red dot site. you gonna piss n whine to him to i guess? he wanted it for home defense and well you cant shoot pistols there. stop whining and be happy we have such a nice FREE public range. go down to Clark brothers if you dont like it theyde be more than happy to bend you over and let you shoot on there horrible range.
Eric Manassas

Manassas, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jun 20, 2012
 
I bring my AR-10 .308 with a 20 round magazine. Why? Because its the only rifle I own that I can hunt with. There are no restrictions that I have found on magazine capacities in the DGIF rulebook. If I am mistaken I would love to know.
el chino

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jun 21, 2012
 
resident wrote:
<quoted text>
You are just so smart..... Ever think for a second I work in Mclean? Point is people are out their with AR-15's and AK-47 with side folders and high cap mags with eo-tech sights ect. Not a firearm you use for hunting. 5 round mag should be the rule. Go on youtube and search phelps.
put a 5 round mag in your ak and its the same. youre just buying in to the stupid media "assault weapon" it shoots a .30 cal bullet bigger than a lot of rifles Ive seen (.240s whatever) take down big game. and i willl take putting one dot on a deer rather than using iron sights any day
Nick

Warrenton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Sep 11, 2012
 
I have several bolt guns and black guns 223 and 308 last time I was there shooting my black guns as some would call it not only where my black guns 223 and 308 out shooting any bolt gun there I also had to explain to a bolt gun shooter why his 30-06 wouldn't eject steel rounds and then watch him try to shoot 50 yd with a 3-9 scope free hand..........

This isn't the first time
Jim

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Sep 29, 2012
 
Phelps is being over run by people that doesn't know what their stuff smells like. I appreciate the comments from the folks that make it clear that Phelps belongs to the shooters that get there first and wait until a lane is open and then sight in their rifles. I'm 62 and I have taken 12 and 20 gauge with scopes to sight in, 22 semi lr (I don't want to shoot squirrel with my 30-30...messes up the meat) and .223 AR which will be sighted in for boar and woodchuck or other nuisance critters. It may look like an "assault rifle" but if I use it for hunting the public can see that it is a "hunting rifle". Isn't that what we want?
David

Gainesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Oct 9, 2012
 
Thanks for posting this. I just heard about the place and have never been there. The rules are pretty clear that you have an hour. If someone goes over an hour and there are folks waiting then they should leave. I have .22, 30-05 and .223 (yes it happens to be in an AR platform, is the Mini 14 any different from the projectiles point of view?) that I'd like to sight in there. Red dot included. If someone is polite, willing to cease fire so that others can replace targets, don't take more than an hour, etc. I don't see any difference between a high-cap magazine and 5-rounds. Would you say the same to the guy with the 25 or 50-round 10/22 magazine? Maybe it just saves time reloading while he's sighting it in.

I'm anxious to visit the place, and I'll bet I'll meet some really nice fellow gun-owners there. I dunno what this thing will say about where I am, but I'm in PWC just across the Fauquier line. My understanding is that it's a state resource, not county. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.
David

Gainesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Oct 9, 2012
 
Couple typos - 30-06 obvious and some bad grammar, sorry.
dave

Warrenton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Oct 21, 2012
 
Nick wrote:
I have several bolt guns and black guns 223 and 308 last time I was there shooting my black guns as some would call it not only where my black guns 223 and 308 out shooting any bolt gun there I also had to explain to a bolt gun shooter why his 30-06 wouldn't eject steel rounds and then watch him try to shoot 50 yd with a 3-9 scope free hand..........
This isn't the first time
I could outshoot you with my 50 cal muzzeloader
Steve l

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Oct 23, 2012
 
I disagree with this statement. Even though you may see these as tactical weapons most ar15 are considered modern sportsman rifles or varmint rifles. Shot coyote with it and my brother hunts with a saiga12 which is a ak shotgun but totally legal to hunt with. As long as their not using fully auto or special ammunition I don't think it matters.
dkva

Springfield, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Nov 18, 2012
 

Judged:

1

The name of the range includes "sighting in." It is specifically there for hunters to sight in their rifles. I own a couple of black guns too and love to shoot them, but this is not the place to spend time. I work and can only get there on a weekend and here in NOVA land there arent many places to sight in. Take the black guns elsewhere or stick to the rules of a 1 our limit when others are waiting. I am as friendly as anyone else but I will phone the "authorities" if I have to stand around all day due to those abusing the rules if it displaces me or others.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of29
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Fauquier County Discussions

Search the Fauquier County Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Deputies investigate fraud at Goldvein Fire Dep... Jan '14 Stacy 1
help (Jun '13) Jun '13 look 1
VA Senate Passes Ultrasound Abortion Measure - ... (Feb '12) May '13 Hey You 50
Free Recipes and How To Videos (May '13) May '13 Larry W 1
Anyone know Larry Embery? (Apr '12) Apr '13 cant truss it 6
Farm bureau (Apr '13) Apr '13 cant truss it 1
Former Virginia state trooper to serve 30 days ... (Mar '13) Mar '13 WarbossPoncho 1
•••
•••
•••
•••