Did officials do enough for mom? | Th...

Did officials do enough for mom? | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 84 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jul 9, 2011, titled Did officials do enough for mom? | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Jennifer Blake, 28, is shown with her children, 11 and 9 years old and 15 months, in a family portrait.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
SSDD

Columbus, OH

#1 Jul 9, 2011
Another "OH SORRY"
Just Another Mistake ???

When THEY Think They Are Right What Happens To You ???
But When They Are Wrong And Someone Pays With THEIR Life ???

Sorry About Your Luck ???

Since: Sep 09

Springfield, OH

#2 Jul 9, 2011
It would sometimes seem that the trick to making it to old age is to be able to successfully encounter the right people at the right time -- who actually give a damn when you need them too.

In the inner-cities "Don't snitch" is code for... "If you talk to the police, your life might be in greater danger than if you don't."

Law enforcement authorities are often times only as effective as their over-allocated workload and enthusiasm for getting that workload accomplished happen to be on that given day. Police sometimes fall victim to the notion that "there are so many problems out there, and so many problem people, that it really isn't going to matter anyway if we go out of our way to arrest this nutcase or that nutcase."

Like I said, you have to find the right people to give a damn at the right time. Otherwise you're just a poor sap that had the misfortune of marrying a whacko.

It shouldn't have to work that way.
Voter

Grove City, OH

#3 Jul 9, 2011
Sadly, tragedies like this are not uncommon in Franklin County. It would be interesting if The Dispatch would write a history of every death or serious injury over the last 30 years from the breakdown in communication between law enforcement and the courts in Franklin county. Off the top, I can think of several. With multiple DV groups, there should be some office that can coordinate these orders and warrants to make sure they are served timely.
Retired Deputy

Chillicothe, OH

#4 Jul 9, 2011
There is no excuse for this "error" because it all boils down to Deputies being lazy and just wanting to put in their shift and go home at end of the day. Used to be that when given a serious felony warrant they would take as much time as needed and make as many contacts as possible to find wanted person. In this case they needed to make every effort to let victim know they could not find him, so she could not only take steps to be safer but maybe point them in right direction as to where he might stay or hang out.
It will only get worse with new Hollywood style Sheriff in office.
Spooey

Cleveland, OH

#5 Jul 9, 2011
Sounds like the "donut shop willies aka police" and the entire legal system is at fault and should be held accountable for aiding and abetting a crime. The entire legal system is corrupt, inefficient and needs retooled without union involvement.
FBO

Fremont, CA

#7 Jul 9, 2011
Columbus Ohio's police department is a bad joke.

Move out of Ohio while you still can. The place is toxic.
you and you alone

Mount Gilead, OH

#8 Jul 9, 2011
Your safety is,unfortunately,your own responsibility. I was a victim of a violent ex. I went thru all the hoops and finally chased him out of my home with a butcher knife. Oh, I am ready for all the bleeding heart replys to that one. Bring it on ! In the end I tried all the right things like this poor girl and when I realized I had to take matters into my own hands, then and only then did the SOB stop bothering me. LOL,afterwards he called my sister and told her I had "lost my mind." LOL LOL LOL
LavendarBlue

AOL

#9 Jul 9, 2011
This pointing of fingers needs to stop. No one can predict the mind of the abuser, there is no 24-hour guard stationed to protect against the potential for escalated violence. If so, perhaps a closer look at his family and what they did or didn't do to stop their violent son. It appears that he was a walking time bomb. Yet his family did nothing, nothing to even protect their son from his violent rages.
The Observer

Columbus, OH

#10 Jul 9, 2011
Retired Deputy wrote:
There is no excuse for this "error" because it all boils down to Deputies being lazy and just wanting to put in their shift and go home at end of the day. Used to be that when given a serious felony warrant they would take as much time as needed and make as many contacts as possible to find wanted person. In this case they needed to make every effort to let victim know they could not find him, so she could not only take steps to be safer but maybe point them in right direction as to where he might stay or hang out.
It will only get worse with new Hollywood style Sheriff in office.
But Republican Phalen belongs to the party of family values.
burn in hell jack blake

New Lexington, OH

#11 Jul 9, 2011
I have worked with jack for 7 years now and he always was a little wacko , but I never saw this coming until 4 weeks ago when he kidnapped her. Jennifer used to come in and help jack on some nights when he needed the help and she was not only pretty but such a sweetheart. when she talked about her kids , she just beemed with pride. Rest in peace with the lord Jenny, we all will miss you. My prayers go out to the whole family, mostly to her three beautiful children.
The Observer

Columbus, OH

#12 Jul 9, 2011
you and you alone wrote:
Your safety is,unfortunately,your own responsibility. I was a victim of a violent ex. I went thru all the hoops and finally chased him out of my home with a butcher knife. Oh, I am ready for all the bleeding heart replys to that one. Bring it on ! In the end I tried all the right things like this poor girl and when I realized I had to take matters into my own hands, then and only then did the SOB stop bothering me. LOL,afterwards he called my sister and told her I had "lost my mind." LOL LOL LOL
And if you take matters into your own hands, the worthless law of course will not back you up, but will persecute you instead. Remember Granny, the grandmother who shot a couple of south-side dregs threatening her grandchildren. They put her in prison until the Dispatch shamed Franklin County Prosecutor Ron O'Brien and then-Governor Bob Taft into letter her out. Remember that, and don't forget that the law is just one more worhtless part of our worthless society.
Sgt Autopilot

Durham, NC

#14 Jul 9, 2011
The multiple judicial and law enforcement screwups here reads like a full monte nightmare this poor young battered mother, daughter, sister never should have been subjected to.
I call it institutionalized autopilot (and too often purposeful) cluelessness. And with the most tragic outcomes- for all that faux bureaucratic paper shuffling that they THINK keeps it looking like they're 'doing something'. What a waste of both of a life of a very loved and needed young mother, and of taxpayer dollars. Pathetic.
Wachu talkin bout Willis

Hilliard, OH

#15 Jul 9, 2011
The Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
And if you take matters into your own hands, the worthless law of course will not back you up, but will persecute you instead. Remember Granny, the grandmother who shot a couple of south-side dregs threatening her grandchildren. They put her in prison until the Dispatch shamed Franklin County Prosecutor Ron O'Brien and then-Governor Bob Taft into letter her out. Remember that, and don't forget that the law is just one more worhtless part of our worthless society.
What about the 12 year old currently being held for shooting his mom's fiance for threatening them and beating on them? Plus they want to try him as an adult.
you and you alone

Mount Gilead, OH

#16 Jul 9, 2011
When my ex was making my life a living H e l l
I had a judge tell me, "I think he still loves you." In my humble opinion I think half of them beat their wives/girlfriends and think its just the good ole boy network in action.
Topper

Columbus, OH

#18 Jul 9, 2011
The Courts and Police can NOT protect you from someone 100%...

That is why the Founding Fathers allowed us to have guns...

It's not a perfect world, and we are NOT the civilized people we think we are...

It's a shame....BUT...there comes a time you MUST arm yourself and protect yourself...
From the Powell Bubble

Portsmouth, OH

#19 Jul 9, 2011
SO hearbreaking!! I tell you if it were my beautiful daughter I would go after the idiots at Franklin County with both guns. If for nothing more than to protect the next little girl.(they are always little girls to momma's)
nana

Dublin, OH

#20 Jul 9, 2011
FBO wrote:
Columbus Ohio's police department is a bad joke.
Move out of Ohio while you still can. The place is toxic.
So how do you know this? When did you live in Columbus Ohio
nana

Dublin, OH

#21 Jul 9, 2011
The Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
But Republican Phalen belongs to the party of family values.
What and how does your reply matter. This woman is dead as well as her husband and 3 children no longer have their parents. Who really cares about Phalen
Joe

United States

#22 Jul 9, 2011
Cannot fathom the pain that this family is suffering -- and the heartache of those precious children --- May God surround you all in love comfort and peace as you grieve your Mother!!!
So sad

Columbus, OH

#23 Jul 9, 2011
you and you alone wrote:
I would have done the same thing. Rock on sister!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fairfield County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Republican David Scheffler wins Lancaster mayor... Nov '17 They cannot kill ... 1
News Cost of opioid epidemic soars, hitting taxpayer... Oct '17 They cannot kill ... 6
News Group seeks to create 7,500 jobs in Fairfield C... (Aug '17) Aug '17 They cannot kill ... 3
News Fairfield County considers plan to lease jail s... (Mar '17) Mar '17 They cannot kill ... 1
News Former Lancaster mayor back in office (Feb '17) Feb '17 They cannot kill ... 1
News Fairfield County GOP fretting over candidate ve... (Feb '17) Feb '17 They cannot kill ... 1
News New faces filling Licking County Prosecutor's O... (Jan '17) Jan '17 They cannot kill ... 1
More from around the web