BUYERS BEWARE - Junk John Deere Lawn ...

BUYERS BEWARE - Junk John Deere Lawn tractors at Lowes

Posted in the Fairfax County Forum

Mad Ashell

Morristown, TN

#1 Sep 27, 2011
Buyers Beware !!!! Some of the John Deere lawn tractors sold at the Lowes stores are NOT what you think they are. I moved to Tennessee 10 years back (June of 2002) with what was then a 20 year old little 10HP Simplicity with a gear box. It was wore out but lasted 5 more years here before it finally died a slow death. In June of 2007, I purchased a 21 HP John Deere tractor with hydrostatic drive. I thought and was told I was buying a terrific machine that would last for many years if not be the last lawn tractor Iíd ever own. My thinking was that a 21HP tractor was ridiculous overkill to mow the grass but surely it would outlast the little Simplicity I had and spread out over 20 plus years wasnít going to be all that bad. What a joke!

IN JUST OVER 100 HOURS OF USE IN 4 YEARS the Deereís transmission is going bad and hereís the deal.... the transmissions in these tractors are sealed units (meaning theyíre not serviceable)- made in Morristown, TN. by a company called Tough Torque. The only thing you can do if they go bad (according to the factory) is replace the entire transmission at an authorized dealership *** WHICH IS GOING TO BE $1,000. I called the John Deere factory to see if I could get any help in the matter and they kindly offered me $250.00 toward the bill. Further, it wasnít good enough that I already knew the transmission was going out... in order to see if help from the factory was possible, I had to take my tractor to a dealer and get charged $100.00 just for the confirming diagnosis. What a ridiculous way to treat a customer. I will never buy another John Deere product and plan to warn as many people as I can that these tractors are just expensive junk.

For what itís worth, Iíve spoken to the Cub Cadet people as well as the Simplicity folks in my area about their new tractors and believe it or not they admit their tractors arenít worth a crap either until you get up into the 4 to 5 thousand dollar range. At least they were honest about it upfront.

For more information or specifics, email Iíll be only too glad to tell you all I can.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fairfax County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
McLean Bible Church - Concealed agenda (Mar '10) Mar 4 Rick 26
News That Bloodbath in the Old Dominion Nov '17 sesostrus 1
News Strong turnout as Virginians pick next governor... Nov '17 sesostrus 1
News ms-13 Oct '17 C Kersey 1
News Number of fully accredited Virginia schools grows (Sep '17) Sep '17 sesostrus 1
News Donna Murphy, of Fairfax County, Virginia, part... (Jul '17) Jul '17 Don Perlis 1
Fairfax County Criminal Mugshots and Arrests Re... (Sep '16) May '17 William j parks 3