Free speech prevails: A compromise in Esmeralda County ends an unconstitutional English-only policy

Feb 28, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Las Vegas Sun

A relatively minor conflict last year between an Esmeralda County School District bus driver and two Hispanic high school students led to a rule banning Spanish from being spoken either at school or on the ... via Las Vegas Sun

Comments
1 - 4 of 4 Comments Last updated Mar 4, 2008
cayla99

Evansville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

This country has been English speaking since its inception. We now, for the first time in our history, have a group of immigrants who are insisting we all learn their language to accommodate them. The school boards initial rule was completely to correct course of action.

What really gets me is that they caved into the ACLU.In their 78 year history, the ACLU has only WON 67.08% of their cases in the Supreme Court. If this was a test, it would be graded with an "F". This school district has made a major policy decision based on the opinion of a FAILING organization. What a disgrace. They have now given ample ammunition for the students to fight failing grades. If 67% is good enough for the board, it is good enough for the students. I say any help the school district gave these students in assimilating into the American culture should be commended not condemned. The economically challenged parents of these children should be grateful. Unless of course, they have no desire to assimilate and prefer the course of action of having the rest of the nation change for them. In that case, they can find a different country.
VegasLady

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

Let me see if I understand this .... a 45-minute ride with THIRTY (that's 30) students .... but he could only hear THESE TWO?

Uh OK, Sparky.

As for you, "cayla99", not quite sure just how you managed to "deduce" all of the drivel you wrote from the actual story, but you ought to be writing for Limbaugh.

Or maybe you already do.
cayla99

Evansville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

I got the info from the Supreme court website. You take the total number of cases since 1925, then you take the number the ACLU won and you do the math to figure out a percentage rate. Simple, maybe you should have stayed in school. I have children. If they would have come home with a 67% on a test, they would have failed the test. Simple. My deductions were based on math that any third grader could do. As far as this history of the English Language in the US, would you mind pointing out which of our legal documents are written in a language other than English?

As far as the driver hearing "just these two" They may have been sitting in front. I have driven a bus in the past, and you would be amazed at what you can hear.

As far as the Limbaugh comment is concerned, I know you meant it as a compliment, but if that mans brain was only half the size of his ego he would be a genius. However, he is too full of himself to see what is going on in the real world. He can't even manage to see what a totalitarian idiot Bush is. But I thank you for the attempt at complimenting me just the same.

“I am the great an powerful Ny!”

Since: Dec 06

Lebanon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2008

cayla99 wrote:
This country has been English speaking since its inception. We now, for the first time in our history, have a group of immigrants who are insisting we all learn their language to accommodate them. The school boards initial rule was completely to correct course of action.
Did you read the article? And no, this country has never been strictly English speaking. Our laws are written in English and it is our standard language but we have never been 100% English. What do you think immigrants from non-English speaking countries were speaking in?
cayla99 wrote:
What really gets me is that they caved into the ACLU.In their 78 year history, the ACLU has only WON 67.08% of their cases in the Supreme Court. If this was a test, it would be graded with an "F".
Your comparison has nothing to do with the validity of the cases. I'm guessing you ripped that percentage from here: http://www.acluprocon.org/LandmarkCases.html
You do realize that is landmark cases, right? But still, it doesn't matter. What matters is what the case is about. It doesn't matter if an organization is batting 0.00% or 100% as long as their fighting for the right thing. They won't always be correct but neither will anybody else.
cayla99 wrote:
This school district has made a major policy decision based on the opinion of a FAILING organization. What a disgrace. They have now given ample ammunition for the students to fight failing grades. If 67% is good enough for the board, it is good enough for the students. I say any help the school district gave these students in assimilating into the American culture should be commended not condemned. The economically challenged parents of these children should be grateful. Unless of course, they have no desire to assimilate and prefer the course of action of having the rest of the nation change for them. In that case, they can find a different country.
No, the school district changed a major policy decision they had no business making in the first place. People are allowed to speak any language they want and THAT is none of your business.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Esmeralda County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Budget plan includes layoffs, attrition (Jun '13) Jun '13 LOL 4
Angel's Ladies brothel goes out of business (Nov '07) Feb '12 Been there don... 47
$338M in Recovery Act Funding Energizes Geother... (Nov '09) Nov '09 Geothermal 4

Search the Esmeralda County Forum:
•••