Erie man killed after asking motorist...

Erie man killed after asking motorist to slow down

There are 472 comments on the Evening Sun story from Apr 27, 2009, titled Erie man killed after asking motorist to slow down. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

A 30-year-old Erie man is dead after being shot and killed for telling a motorist to slow down while driving through a residential neighborhood.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

Anonymous

Erie, PA

#467 Feb 1, 2012
You people are disgusting, I know Both the shooter and the victum. An u armed man was shot point blank in his front yard in front of his entire family by a kid with a violent criminal record, who was also in school for a criminal iustice degree. Ill admit BOTH we hot heads, but that doesnt mean you get gunned down. Joel not only flew by but backed up after he was told to slow down and wanted to act tough by pulling out someone elses gun and realized he was in over his head and panicked. I dont believe joel would intentially shoot someone for no reason but he definitely panicked after instigating the thing from the start. Joel grew up about a mile from that "not so good neoghborhood.". He knew what he was doing. He gunned down an unarmed man that served our country for a few years in front of kids. He even said himself he keeps the chamber empty so he had to pull the trigger a few times.
Anonymous

Erie, PA

#468 Feb 1, 2012
Yes he did not jump in front of the speeding car, joel came back to the house after being yelled at and got out of the car waving a gun. Yes jayson should have handled the situation differently. But that doesnt change the fact that joel shot someone half his size who was unarmed in front of a family gathering point blank with someone elses gun. Look at atkins past he was arrested the previous year for beating up an old man. Any 20 something year old man is a punk for beating an old man, especially when you consider he murdered an unarmed man in front of his kids cause he was speedig up a road about 100 yards long. There is still a cross in the yard to this day where it all happened
Anonymous

Erie, PA

#469 Feb 2, 2012
And on top of the fact the gun wasnt even his. Ill tell you now that it was t gonna fot in hos center console or glove box because he had audio video equipment in both those spots. I worked at the place he had it done. So basically hes carrying someone elses loaded dorty harry in his lap while he drives sounds real responsible. Dont worry he didnt have one in the chamber on purpose so he had to pull the trigger multiple times to shoot someone. Definitely someone who should be teaching gun safety courses hes so responsible.
Anonymous

Erie, PA

#470 Feb 2, 2012
Ill bet everyone would feel dofferently if you were held at gunpoint in front of your family in your front yard by someone twice your size. If you yourself were put in thay situation would it be self defense, highly unlikely. Someone died for no reason at all after serving our country, and tryingto protect kids from the guy who drives his car as fast as it will go down a 25 mph rd that is about 100 yards long, not to mention with someone elses loaded gun in his lap, you know the "responsible gun owner.". I see the cross almost everyday in the yard where jay was shot and it reminds me everyday of the punk joel was i hope he enjoys his 40 years in the showers
Anon

Davisburg, MI

#471 Feb 2, 2012
let me tell you guys something. joel is the lowest life form ive ever seen. not only has he killed an innocent man and destroyed that mans family, he destroyed my family. that old man he beat up, is my father. to make matters worse, that happened on my nieces first birthday. we were having a picnic, just as jaysons family, and joel ruined everything. i hope he stays in prison for as long as possible, because joels son is the most precious little boy and i would hate to see him turn out like his father.
JudgeNot

Waterford, PA

#472 Feb 7, 2012
Both families are grieving the loss of their children; one child is 6 ft under and the other is behind bars for life. How can we judge what transpired? Was it self-defense? God will make the final judgement. I can say that Joel's mother loves her son dearly (as any mother should) and has never lost sight of hope. A mother's love is unconditional. What transpired is truly sad and we should pray for both families of these two young men. I pray for strength, that forgiveness will find its way into the hearts of the grieving; ultimately, there are two families shedding tears for their loss.
Trapper

Erie, PA

#473 Apr 6, 2012
Joel Atkins.. Seriously, a new trial is nothing but a waste of tax payers money.. Now he is saying part of the 911 call was deleted... He killed him with a gun that was registered & he had a permit for, seriously what difference does that make..... The bottom line is all about choices.. Atkin had the choice to do the speed limit thru the neighborhood.. He had the choice to keep going and not stop to confront Sack.. He also had the choice to wait till the police showed up.. But what he did choose to do, is shoot a person and the sentence he received is an easy one, he is at least still alive!!
on my way

Wattsburg, PA

#474 Apr 6, 2012
The Real Truths wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a car I use every day for it's designed purpose. I drive it to work, to Church, to the store.....
I also have a gun.....if I used it every day for it's designed purpose I'd be on Death Row....
The old "ban cars" analogy is ridiculous.
Have a so-so day !
I use my gun every day and have yet to face any charges. 50 rds of 9mm and 20 rds of buckshot every evening after work. not much is more fun than shooting steel plates.
copy cat

Erie, PA

#475 Apr 6, 2012
on my way wrote:
<quoted text>
not much is more fun than shooting steel plates.
obviously you cant pull women
stacey

United States

#476 May 10, 2012
TWTL wrote:
The more I learn about this case and the closer I look at it, I'm convinced that Joel Atkin did indeed act in self defense.
I was originally under the impression that Atkin stopped his car after being yelled at and then backed up to confront his verbal assailant.
After reading more carefully the details of what happened, I can CLEARLY see why Atkin felt he was defending himself.
This was not a case of "road rage." Atkin was driving along when all of a sudden Jayson Sack ran into the road and stood there to force Atkin to stop his vehicle while he was yelling angrily.
Atkin, stunned and now possibly frightened by being forced to stop his vehicle in a "not so safe" neighborhood, may have thought it was a car-jacking or a robbery, etc. He "immediately" reached for his gun AND dialed 911. He now realizes that Sack is upset (to put it mildly) as he is being raged at for "speeding" down a residential street. It's easy to understand why Atkin would feel he was in danger.
I'm sure Sack's anger at speeders had been building for a long time and Atkin was the unfortunate person who was going to get the full brunt of it.(It's "possible" Sack was drinking at this party, and he was filled with 'liguid courage' when he stood in the street and forced Atkin's car to stop. I don't know. But it's sounds plausible considering the outrageously foolish and dangerous thing he did by jumping in the street to force the car to stop.)
So now here is Atkin...facing a very hostile guy in the middle of the street blocking his way so he reaches for his gun and dials 911. He tells the dispatcher that he has a gun pointed on the guy who he feels is literally holding him hostage.. When Sack moved toward him, Atkin, fearing for his life, pulled the trigger. I think I would, too.
He was probably so shook up that within less than a minute he was forced to stop his car for a what he feared might have been a robbery, mugging, carjacking, and with fear and adrenalin is pumping through his veins and when the guy lunged toward him he fired. It all happened so quickly.
It is a senseless tragedy that too place and it would have never happened if Jayson Sack would not have "forced" Joel Atkin to stop his car. Atkin had no idea what was going on. He could not possibly know that Sack was fed up with people who race over that short, one block long street. His anger over speeders had reached a boiling point by the time Joel Atkin came along. Sack just picked the wrong car to pull over.
I now firmly believe that Atkin did act in self defense.
His actions after the shooting clearly indicate that he felt horrible about what had just happened and he was probably in shock, all the while remaining on the line with the 911 dispatcher until the police arrived. Witnesses said he was sobbing.
This is a tragedy all the way around for everyone involved, but I firmly believe that Atkin did indeed act in self defense.
how many times did he speed over the road thou in order for jayson to no to jump in front of him to slow him down
stacey

United States

#477 May 10, 2012
How many times did jeol drive over that street at a. High speed while the kids where playing in order for jayson to no to jump in front of him to stop him the last time he drove over the street jeol was asking for a conflitation by going over that street over and over to get yelled at every time eol was in the wrong jayson was killed for no reason but for jeol to act and feel like a tough guy which made him look stupid and if he was by the book and wanted to be a police officer and do things by the book y shot a unarmed man in front of his family and friends with a gun not registered to u
Huh

York, PA

#478 May 11, 2012
stacey wrote:
How many times did jeol drive over that street at a. High speed while the kids where playing in order for jayson to no to jump in front of him to stop him the last time he drove over the street jeol was asking for a conflitation by going over that street over and over to get yelled at every time eol was in the wrong jayson was killed for no reason but for jeol to act and feel like a tough guy which made him look stupid and if he was by the book and wanted to be a police officer and do things by the book y shot a unarmed man in front of his family and friends with a gun not registered to u
Next time you want to babble, at least try English. I cannot decipher this mess.
No party

Erie, PA

#479 May 16, 2012
stacey wrote:
<quoted text>how many times did he speed over the road thou in order for jayson to no to jump in front of him to slow him down
Bottom line......he should have never gotten out of his car... could have called 911 from inside his car where he would have been "safer".
Tardy 4 D Party

Pittsburgh, PA

#480 May 16, 2012
Did they at least have cake and ice cream after all of this? City living at it's best right there.

Since: Aug 08

Savannah, TN

#481 Mar 9, 2013
What is happening in this case?
Greg WA

Seattle, WA

#482 Apr 18, 2013
Joel Atkin doesnt get it. When I heard the 911 call you can hear him say 2 key things: 1) I don't know where I'm at and 2) To the brother, I'll KILL you to Mother***. First off he was speeding, secondly he got Out of his vehicle and thirdly he brought a gun out with the attempt to show aggression. All acts of Instigation brought on by Atkin. He deserved a longer sentence for being a hothead and he deserves a medal of stupidity for instigating the situation then claiming " Self Defense"
Greg WA

Seattle, WA

#483 Apr 18, 2013
In response to TWTL. If you think committing a crime with Two deadly weapons is self defense, you need your head examined. First deadly weapon was his vehicle. A 1 ton piece of machinery vs an unarmed man. If he's in front of you, you back up and vice versa. You don't GET OUT of your vehicle and confront the person who's scaring you. Oh, and you forgot to mention that the victim with " liquid courage" was a father and a veteran. Joel was driving reckless and looking for a fight and when he got punched in the face, he needed a Gun to be the bigger man.
yourmomma

Philadelphia, PA

#484 Apr 18, 2013
Wait a second......Hold Up.......Your saying Jay did punch Joel? Where you there? Why did you tell the police this? If Jay punched Joel then Joel acted in self defense......
steve lind

Erie, PA

#486 Apr 18, 2013
Screw tubby hope his rear is the size of a grapefruit now
Mark

Montesano, WA

#488 Jan 10, 2014
I don't get it. Atkins was in a car. That's a steel box that is capable of going very fast. Sack was one guy on foot. If Atkins felt like he was being threatened, just roll up the window. Put the car in reverse, and drive away.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erie County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fairview woman held for trial in $100K theft (Jan '15) Dec 4 sheknows 18
News Erie man gets probation for his role in armed r... (Aug '12) Nov 16 Jersey Strong 6
News Erie councilman's EMTA proposal seeks $2 millio... (Jun '16) Oct '17 taxNOmore 3
Minority Business Opportunity Sep '17 Anti-Scam 1
Jessica Curry star 104 Sep '17 ERIE GUY 1
News GE workers in Erie more productive, not less, u... (Jun '13) Aug '17 exactly 91
News Erie poverty initiative to set timetables for a... (Jan '11) May '17 The Doctor 3
More from around the web