Erie ranks 4th among most depressed U...

Erie ranks 4th among most depressed U.S. regions

There are 64 comments on the Erie Times News story from Aug 6, 2011, titled Erie ranks 4th among most depressed U.S. regions. In it, Erie Times News reports that:

A recent Gallup Poll ranked Erie fourth on a list of U.S. Metropolitan Statistical Areas with the highest percentage of people diagnosed with depression.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Erie Times News.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
RightWingRoy

United States

#1 Aug 6, 2011
look around and you'll understand why. You see rich people not wanting to spend their money. Its ridiculous. Spend money to make money.Its obvious, Whether its for yourself or many people.
opie

Erie, PA

#2 Aug 6, 2011
your not the sharpest knife in the drawer eh
RightWingRoy wrote:
look around and you'll understand why. You see rich people not wanting to spend their money. Its ridiculous. Spend money to make money.Its obvious, Whether its for yourself or many people.
TaxNoMore

United States

#3 Aug 6, 2011
no it ain't..........

Meadville,PA...?
RightWingRoy

United States

#4 Aug 6, 2011
opie wrote:
your not the sharpest knife in the drawer eh
<quoted text>
eh? what are you a canuck? Wheel is spinnin but the hampsters dead huh?
opie

Erie, PA

#5 Aug 6, 2011
RightWingRoy wrote:
<quoted text>
eh? what are you a canuck? Wheel is spinnin but the hampsters dead huh?
rich people pay taxes to support you once, now you want them to buy to support you again
As I See It

Erie, PA

#6 Aug 6, 2011
That article in today's Times News ranks up there as one of my all time favorites concerning Erie. No surprise of course. It was me who pointed out right here not that long ago about the Director of Women's Health at the Cleveland Clinic who said that the area surrounding the Great Lakes is well noted by the medical community as a huge region for depressed people. This highly respected physician, Dr. Holly Thacker, recommends most of her patients to take high doses of vitamin D3 to help combat this affliction.
The lack of sunlight and the prolonged periods of gray and indoor lifestyles are recipes for disaster as the statistics have shown. Oh well, you're Erie and you're tough ! You can take it as you proudly claim. In fact just to show how tough you are let's hope you get more gray days, more indoor time, and more depression. After all the "greatest place on the planet to raise a family" can take whatever gets dished out 'cuz you're tough Erie. And you'll never learn. Now entertain me. Bring on what you do best. Bring on the hate. It's your strongest attribute.
Stu Pedaso

Ravenna, OH

#7 Aug 7, 2011
42 degrees of Latitude has long been part of the MS band around the world and folks who live here can decrease their risk for MS by taking vitamin D supplements.

Probably the stress induced by the depression you've mentioned makes Erie sicker than it should be. Topix, Democrats, AM radio, and a worthless rag of a newspaper don't help our irritability index either.
As I See It wrote:
That article in today's Times News ranks up there as one of my all time favorites concerning Erie. No surprise of course. It was me who pointed out right here not that long ago about the Director of Women's Health at the Cleveland Clinic who said that the area surrounding the Great Lakes is well noted by the medical community as a huge region for depressed people. This highly respected physician, Dr. Holly Thacker, recommends most of her patients to take high doses of vitamin D3 to help combat this affliction.
The lack of sunlight and the prolonged periods of gray and indoor lifestyles are recipes for disaster as the statistics have shown. Oh well, you're Erie and you're tough ! You can take it as you proudly claim. In fact just to show how tough you are let's hope you get more gray days, more indoor time, and more depression. After all the "greatest place on the planet to raise a family" can take whatever gets dished out 'cuz you're tough Erie. And you'll never learn. Now entertain me. Bring on what you do best. Bring on the hate. It's your strongest attribute.
As I See It

Erie, PA

#8 Aug 7, 2011
Stu Pedaso wrote:
42 degrees of Latitude has long been part of the MS band around the world and folks who live here can decrease their risk for MS by taking vitamin D supplements.
Probably the stress induced by the depression you've mentioned makes Erie sicker than it should be. Topix, Democrats, AM radio, and a worthless rag of a newspaper don't help our irritability index either.
<quoted text>
Good points Stu. I was hoping you'd include me as being part of that "irritability index" too. I'll admit it is fun to watch the Erie circus, post strategic comments, and wait for the angry and entertaining replies. By the way, can we include that MS inducing 42 degree latitude running through our area as another contributing factor toward Erie being "The greatest place on earth to raise a family" ? There I go again ! I just can't help it.
Stu Pedaso

Ravenna, OH

#9 Aug 7, 2011
I'd read that 42 biz long ago and rechecked before my post to find it's not as pronounced as it once was due to other parts of the globe catching up to us a bit.

Why we're irritable, imo, is our inability to change our situation. Erie is no worse than it could expect to be because we are in Pennsylvania, the GOP is out of business in our county, public employee unions control our elected officials, and our local rag refuses to see evil until the evil has done its dirty work. Then it churns out a Page 2 hatchet job on everyone else who sat as idly by as they did. Corbett could have changed the dynamic but rolled over for a four year contract with the bad guys.

There are parts of 'metro Erie' that are so unErie-like that residents of those parts can't be blamed for their perceptions. As for repeating them here they should just STFU.
As I See It wrote:
<quoted text>
Good points Stu. I was hoping you'd include me as being part of that "irritability index" too. I'll admit it is fun to watch the Erie circus, post strategic comments, and wait for the angry and entertaining replies. By the way, can we include that MS inducing 42 degree latitude running through our area as another contributing factor toward Erie being "The greatest place on earth to raise a family" ? There I go again ! I just can't help it.
yoo hoo

Erie, PA

#10 Aug 7, 2011
As I See It wrote:
<quoted text>
Gotta love people who revel in the misfortunes of others. I swear I think miserable people in Erie is the only bright spot in your day.
TaxNoMore

United States

#11 Aug 7, 2011
Most people would rather be certain they're miserable, than risk being happy.
- Dr. Robert Anthony -
Poshlusty

Titusville, PA

#12 Aug 7, 2011
I've lived in Erie my entire life and have never met anyone as miserable as"as I see it". Good luck buddy!
As I See It

Erie, PA

#13 Aug 7, 2011
yoo hoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Gotta love people who revel in the misfortunes of others. I swear I think miserable people in Erie is the only bright spot in your day.

Not the only bright spot of my day but one of them for sure. Especially when it comes to Erie, you know "the greatest place on earth to raise a family !".
Poshlusty

Titusville, PA

#14 Aug 7, 2011
As I See It wrote:
<quoted text>
Not the only bright spot of my day but one of them for sure. Especially when it comes to Erie, you know "the greatest place on earth to raise a family !".
It's obviously not, as far as your parents are concerned. Smile! Somebody loves you! Can't imagine who but I'm sure somebody does.
He See It Right

Erie, PA

#15 Aug 7, 2011
The greatest place on Earth to raise an SSI family.
Poshlusty

Titusville, PA

#16 Aug 7, 2011
He See It Right wrote:
The greatest place on Earth to raise an SSI family.
My lord - kill yourselves already! Get it over with!
TaxNoMore

United States

#17 Aug 7, 2011
Poshlusty wrote:
<quoted text>My lord - kill yourselves already! Get it over with!
By the end of 2011, the city will owe a total of nearly $65 million in principal payments alone on outstanding bonds.

Laura Schaaf, Sinnott's assistant, said the bond request is a testament to the city's financial health.
TaxNoMore

United States

#18 Aug 7, 2011
My lord - kill yourselves already! Get it over with!

The $8.5 million Erie City Council agreed to borrow adds to millions of dollars of debt the city still owes on older bonds used to buy capital equipment -- some of which is beyond its useful life.
TaxNoMore

United States

#19 Aug 7, 2011
Poshlusty wrote:
I've lived in Erie my entire life and have never met anyone as miserable as"as I see it". Good luck buddy!
You just cannot turn back the last ten seconds.

Oh - you can try - but recapturing that ignorant state in which you opened this page is just impossible!

Try to forget you ever saw this page, knowing your Happy Life will never be the same again.
Poshlusty

Titusville, PA

#20 Aug 7, 2011
TaxNoMore wrote:
<quoted text>
You just cannot turn back the last ten seconds.
Oh - you can try - but recapturing that ignorant state in which you opened this page is just impossible!
Try to forget you ever saw this page, knowing your Happy Life will never be the same again.
Huh?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erie County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GE workers in Erie more productive, not less, u... (Jun '13) Aug 14 exactly 91
News Erie councilman's EMTA proposal seeks $2 millio... (Jun '16) May '17 BpC 2
News Erie poverty initiative to set timetables for a... (Jan '11) May '17 The Doctor 3
News Erie 10 years after Bosworth Report: How much p... (Apr '11) May '17 Lou Sopperootski 19
Biodiesel Dumping in the US May '17 anonymous 1
Isn't Dawn already a District Justice in 6th Wa... Apr '17 Amy 1
News Corry brothers charged with break-ins, beatings (Jan '11) Apr '17 Anonymous 8
More from around the web