Our view: Master plan for Erie needs strong push

May 26, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Erie Times News

The title "Destination Erie" could be a roadblock. That's the name of a three-year project to develop a master plan for the Erie region.

Comments
1 - 2 of 2 Comments Last updated May 27, 2012
TaxNoMore

West Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2012

Bosworth's research for the company he founded, Seattle-based FutureWorks, also cited years of poor civic and government management, specifically the lack of a unified game plan, as a catalyst for the region's economic decline.

"Over the next 10 years, the region is headed for serious economic problems," Bosworth said of Erie at the time.

"Unless the leaders and residents of Erie take dramatic steps to counter current trends, we believe the regional economy will continue to shrink relative to the rest of the nation; income and opportunity will erode and people, especially young adults, will leave the region at an accelerating pace."

Following the report's release, change and turnaround were promised.

But many local officials admit today that though some improvements have materialized, Erie has yet to embrace the kind of broad transformation Bosworth's report pushed for.

"I would say in general, since the Bosworth report came out, we've played it pretty safe," said Jake Rouch, vice president of the Erie Regional Chamber and Growth Partnership's Economic Development Division.

Rouch, and others, say a number of factors contributed to the lack of progress on those recommendations. Those include a stagnant economy; inaction; poor local leadership; and political infighting.

"We haven't been nearly as bold as Bosworth wanted us to be,'' Rouch said.

In an interview last week, Bosworth said he was disappointed -- but not surprised -- to hear Erie's progress has not been striking.

"What I remember is, I saw a little too much complacency in Erie.

A lot of fragmentation of energy and effort," Bosworth said.

"I saw too great an acceptance of economic hard times, and not enough willingness to push out and reinvent the region."
snag

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2012

Bozy, it's easy to collect cash for words!
Look, it takes cash, money not b.s.!
There is not enough tax base to start, CONTINUE and MAINTAIN the growth, in the last 40 years till now and in the future!
Taxpayers have had it, no new taxes, so we raise the estimated wealth of residents property in Erie County.
Projects like "runway expansion" in a dwindling airfreight/ passenger service. Convention Center, make public the profit - loss figures,3 year growth plan? Tullio Center,(can a taxpayer get a Erie Insurance seat)make public p/l figures that is understandable to all the taxpayers.
Inland Port, sounds good, what is the tax load to West County, taxpayers do not have the money, hope it get's grants for 20-30 years to pay for the impact and "maintenance", you will not generate the type of cash flow from 2 small companies coming in or from a broke federal and state government.
Humm, wonder why taxpayers are somewhat skeptical!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••