New school boss busy

New school boss busy

There are 132 comments on the GoErie.com story from Jan 13, 2009, titled New school boss busy. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Millcreek schools Superintendent Michael T. Golde has a full schedule this week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Joe Too

Erie, PA

#3 Jan 16, 2009
Heard he is coming in like he's the "new sheriff" in town. Real top down administrative style.
Frankie

Erie, PA

#4 Jan 17, 2009
You got that wrong. She has been walking around MEC this week like she owns the place. He can't succeed unless he deals with that situation.
All that Glitters

Edinboro, PA

#6 Jan 18, 2009
From what I've heard, Golde has read the court filings and knows Anderson will be held accountable by the authorities. And I for one have not heard she's walking around like she owns anything. If I were in her position I wouldn't even be able to sleep at night; she knows its coming and there is nothing she can do to save herself now.
Frankie

Erie, PA

#7 Jan 18, 2009
But will he hold her accountable? As long as she is in that position, she has lots of power. Telling people that because Millcreek is hiring them, they must show loyality to her. "She got them their job" so every single hire since she was placed in that position means that they "owe" her? I know of an administrator hired within the last year who feels compelled to support her because she "made" their getting hired happen in an elaborate scheme to fool the board.
Joe

Erie, PA

#8 Jan 18, 2009
All that Glitters wrote:
From what I've heard, Golde has read the court filings and knows Anderson will be held accountable by the authorities. And I for one have not heard she's walking around like she owns anything. If I were in her position I wouldn't even be able to sleep at night; she knows its coming and there is nothing she can do to save herself now.
Which court filings? The Whistleblower? The Affairgate Suit? The Gift Card stuff? etc.
Chas

Erie, PA

#9 Jan 19, 2009
I ran into a lot of people from the district today. The news about Golde is not very favorable. I hope that he gets off to a better start as the weeks progress.
Frankie

Erie, PA

#10 Jan 20, 2009
All that Glitters wrote:
The new school board members thought that they could "stay above the fray" and made some very bad decisions by not becoming informed.(Life altering decisions for some of the people that were harmed by their personal hubris and confidence in Cobert). If Golde makes the same mistake as the board, he too, will make poor decisions for the district. If he comes in the district with a top down management style, he will fail. There are excellent people working in the district. They have as much to teach him as he has to teach them. He needs to remember that. His philosophical beliefs leave me wondering and frankly, worried.
KillerJoe

Erie, PA

#11 Jan 20, 2009
Frankie wrote:
You got that wrong. She has been walking around MEC this week like she owns the place. He can't succeed unless he deals with that situation.
From the legal angle he has little room with which to "deal with her". The is the plaintiff in a Whistleblower lawsuit and her job is thus protected...no termination, no demotions, no loss of money. That is reason number one why she filed the suit in the first place...protection. She could probably walk into mr. Golde's office, puch him in the face and she would still be protected.

She also has the unwavering support of several board members...perhaps as many as five, as hard as that might be to understand. The court case drags on and the state and federal investigations continue to proceed at a snail's pace...it's been almost two years now.
LegalHawk

Erie, PA

#12 Jan 20, 2009
Frankie wrote:
But will he hold her accountable? As long as she is in that position, she has lots of power. Telling people that because Millcreek is hiring them, they must show loyality to her. "She got them their job" so every single hire since she was placed in that position means that they "owe" her? I know of an administrator hired within the last year who feels compelled to support her because she "made" their getting hired happen in an elaborate scheme to fool the board.
If MAA is hiring people and is stupid enough to tell them that "they owe her", I believe that is grounds for insubodination. At the very least each and every position that she is involved with should be carefully reviewed (by Mr. Golde?)to assure that Millcreek is ALWAYS hiring the MOST QUALIFIED candidate for any job. If a 23 year old teaching grad is hired out of college, works for 40 years and averages (in today's dollars)$60,000 in salary and benefits...thats 40 x $60,000=$2,400,000 taxpayer dollars PER HIRE. There should NEVER be any question that only the best are hired...not the best CONNECTED.
she is not the only one

Union City, PA

#13 Jan 20, 2009
strange hiring practices plague the district...period. there was a recent interview where department heads in other parts of mec down from maa, hired internally despite a better qualified outside candidate being interviewed. that is wrong too. that position was for someone who will work with federal funds.....something sounds wrong to me.
Joe Too

Erie, PA

#14 Jan 23, 2009
The numbers don't always add up do they?
Grace

Erie, PA

#15 Jan 23, 2009
I've heard that Golde has made some very offensive remarks in meetings. That's not a good start.
Mark Twain

Cleveland, OH

#16 Jan 26, 2009
He is an uncouth oaf. He has reserved his offensive comments for his administrators up to this point. It will only be a matter of time until he shows his true colors publically. Good old boys hiring another gold old boy. The only thing this board cares about is reserved seats at athletic events.
Realist

Pittsburgh, PA

#17 Jan 26, 2009
KillerJoe wrote:
<quoted text>
From the legal angle he has little room with which to "deal with her". The is the plaintiff in a Whistleblower lawsuit and her job is thus protected...no termination, no demotions, no loss of money. That is reason number one why she filed the suit in the first place...protection. She could probably walk into mr. Golde's office, puch him in the face and she would still be protected.
She also has the unwavering support of several board members...perhaps as many as five, as hard as that might be to understand. The court case drags on and the state and federal investigations continue to proceed at a snail's pace...it's been almost two years now.
They should still document job deficiencies, because the burden on them, should they terminate her employment, is to show that it had to do with issues completely separate from the whistleblower allegations, and that in and of themselves justify termination.
Hopeful

Erie, PA

#18 Jan 28, 2009
I have heard from many that Golde is just like Towsey. I hope that isn't true because the district cannot grow with that kind of leadership or lack of it.
hmmmm

Union City, PA

#19 Jan 28, 2009
http://www.bradfordera.com/articles/2009/01/2...

By FRAN De LANCEY
Era Correspondent
delancey401@yahoo.com

More News
Few complaints after garbage billing overhaul

Ridgway Borough approves Phase I of riverfront development project

Obama’s inauguration draws millions

Port Allegany psychologist enters consent agreement with state on allegations of fraud

Smethport Area School Board deadlocked on naming new superintendent

Details on new teacher contract unveiled by Bradford school district, union officials

Dog days of winter

Commissioners looking to replace heating and air conditioning in courthouse

SMETHPORT — The Smethport Area School Board held a special meeting at noon Monday, but was deadlocked on naming a new superintendent.

With all nine members present for the meeting, neither one of the two candidates whose names were submitted for consideration, Dr. Maryann Anderson and Robert Miller, was able to gain more than four votes. Five favorable votes are needed.

Last week, the directors voted to table any action on selecting a new superintendent to replace George Romanowski, who announced in September that he plans to retire at the close of this school year.

During Monday’s special meeting, the directors approved a motion to remove that action from the table.

After this, the board met in an executive session for more than 75 minutes.

When the directors returned to the public session, John Kriner moved that the board approve the hiring of Dr. Maryann Anderson.

“She has all the qualifications, educational background and experience,” he said.

The vote was 4-4 with one abstention. Voting in favor were Kriner, Carol Duffy, Stephen Ness and David Stratton.

Voting “No” were Larry Dennis, Larry Hagg, Anita Johnson and John Verolini.

Dennis said that he could not support an outside candidate when there are qualified candidates in the district.

Bishop abstained because she noted that she had not sat in on the interviews.

Johnson then moved that the board consider Miller, and Hagg seconded the motion. Again, the vote was 4-4 with Bishop again abstaining. Dennis, Hagg, Johnson and Verolini were in favor.

Kriner then re-entered Anderson’s name for another vote, asking his colleagues to “sincerely look at the overall qualifications. We need to change and move forward in our district,” he said.

But, again, the vote reflected the original tally, 4-4 with one abstention.

In yet another identical vote, Johnson’s motion to re-open the recruiting process was defeated.

Ness asked,“If we re-open the process, are all the current candidates out?”

“That’s typically the case, but it’s up to the board,” Romanowski replied.

Right now, the board has some options. The directors can reinterview the candidates, revote on them, or re-open the entire recruiting process.
Good news

Erie, PA

#20 Jan 28, 2009
I hope that they hire her. This certainly would be a very good thing for Millcreek. Finally, the district could move forward.Can't they give one of the board members not in favor or the abstention lady a gift card?
Jeff

Erie, PA

#21 Jan 29, 2009
This just proves that her reputation couldn't have been too ruined. Obviously she is still a very viable candidate for school districts. She is a finalist and at least one board member is touting her credentials.
mr anderson

Erie, PA

#22 Jan 29, 2009
hmmmm wrote:
http://www.bradfordera.com/art icles/2009/01/22/news/doc49754 9aad25ad312009239.txt
By FRAN De LANCEY
Era Correspondent
delancey401@yahoo.com
More News
Few complaints after garbage billing overhaul
Ridgway Borough approves Phase I of riverfront development project
Obama’s inauguration draws millions
Port Allegany psychologist enters consent agreement with state on allegations of fraud
Smethport Area School Board deadlocked on naming new superintendent
Details on new teacher contract unveiled by Bradford school district, union officials
Dog days of winter
Commissioners looking to replace heating and air conditioning in courthouse
SMETHPORT — The Smethport Area School Board held a special meeting at noon Monday, but was deadlocked on naming a new superintendent.
With all nine members present for the meeting, neither one of the two candidates whose names were submitted for consideration, Dr. Maryann Anderson and Robert Miller, was able to gain more than four votes. Five favorable votes are needed.
Last week, the directors voted to table any action on selecting a new superintendent to replace George Romanowski, who announced in September that he plans to retire at the close of this school year.
During Monday’s special meeting, the directors approved a motion to remove that action from the table.
After this, the board met in an executive session for more than 75 minutes.
When the directors returned to the public session, John Kriner moved that the board approve the hiring of Dr. Maryann Anderson.
“She has all the qualifications, educational background and experience,” he said.
The vote was 4-4 with one abstention. Voting in favor were Kriner, Carol Duffy, Stephen Ness and David Stratton.
Voting “No” were Larry Dennis, Larry Hagg, Anita Johnson and John Verolini.
Dennis said that he could not support an outside candidate when there are qualified candidates in the district.
Bishop abstained because she noted that she had not sat in on the interviews.
Johnson then moved that the board consider Miller, and Hagg seconded the motion. Again, the vote was 4-4 with Bishop again abstaining. Dennis, Hagg, Johnson and Verolini were in favor.
Kriner then re-entered Anderson’s name for another vote, asking his colleagues to “sincerely look at the overall qualifications. We need to change and move forward in our district,” he said.
But, again, the vote reflected the original tally, 4-4 with one abstention.
In yet another identical vote, Johnson’s motion to re-open the recruiting process was defeated.
Ness asked,“If we re-open the process, are all the current candidates out?”
“That’s typically the case, but it’s up to the board,” Romanowski replied.
Right now, the board has some options. The directors can reinterview the candidates, revote on them, or re-open the entire recruiting process.
this is hilarious! the bustling metropolis smethport, the home of the nation's first christmas store, won't even hire the embattled director. too bad for us though, let's hope they reconsider!
Joe Too

Erie, PA

#23 Jan 29, 2009
I heard that she has not been to work in quite some time. What's with that? I guess a whistleblower means you don't have to follow the rules.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erie County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Homes of Pigeon, Casey being searched Jun 2 LGBT in EA 2
News Angola Man Faces Felony Charges Connected to Hi... (Oct '07) Nov '14 Polski Jidek 12
News Teenager shot in Buffalo dies (Jun '09) Oct '14 lol 8
News Bennett Beach is off limits to swimmers (Jul '14) Aug '14 henu 3
News Attempted murder charge for Buffalo bar manager (Jul '14) Aug '14 straight_shooter 3
News Violent inmate injures 2 Buffalo deputies (Jul '14) Jul '14 Wheres Jimmy Z 3
News Troopers say man tried to ditch drug paraphernalia (May '14) Jun '14 The Wandering Jew 2
More from around the web