A laundry list of languages

A laundry list of languages

There are 5 comments on the Buffalo News story from Oct 16, 2011, titled A laundry list of languages. In it, Buffalo News reports that:

There was a time when schools, hospitals and government agencies could hire Spanish-speaking employees to take care of most of their language needs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Buffalo News.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#1 Oct 16, 2011
How about they learn ENGLISH when they come here or stay where they came from? For many the first thing is to get public benefits and ride the system...
bookthief

Jamestown, NY

#2 Oct 16, 2011
Too fscking late. The horse is not only out of the barn, he's riding off into the sunset. The next step is societal collapse and racial Balkanization. I just can't wait.
JW Dundee

Rochester, NY

#3 Oct 16, 2011
We have a hard enough time trying to get natural born Americans to speak, read and write proper English as it is.
Unless they were all from England, I bet YOUR ancestors couldn't speak English before they got here.

Since: Mar 08

Buffalo, NY

#4 Oct 16, 2011
My ancestors came here from different countries and all learned English before or shortly after arriving and becoming citizens. They didn't come here expecting someone to interpret everything or expecting welfare or expecting to have children who would be citizens by being born here. Let's vote English as the official language and make it illegal for our government to use any language other than English. Just remember that there are countries where the language you speak is the national language. Please feel free to go there. When your government uses both English and Spanish, you are being discriminated against if you speak one of the other 140 or so languages.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#5 Oct 16, 2011
Your Name Here wrote:
My ancestors came here from different countries and all learned English before or shortly after arriving and becoming citizens. They didn't come here expecting someone to interpret everything or expecting welfare or expecting to have children who would be citizens by being born here. Let's vote English as the official language and make it illegal for our government to use any language other than English. Just remember that there are countries where the language you speak is the national language. Please feel free to go there. When your government uses both English and Spanish, you are being discriminated against if you speak one of the other 140 or so languages.
Your ancestors and mine came here to make a better life by working for it. The difference now is they expect a handout instead of earning their way. I have many friends that are from other countries who are hard working and speak ENGLISH. They may speak other languages at home but they make sure their kids speak English from the start. America is a land of immigrants who came for a better life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erie County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Akron man accused of DWI after driving into house (Jan '12) Nov 18 blew point15 3
Adopted in 1967 - OLV Infant Home (Jun '17) Jun '17 Mary 1
News Donald Trump supporter defends hanging noose at... (Oct '16) Feb '17 Night Heat 22
News Time to get tough on animal abuse (Jun '11) Feb '17 lol 84
News Former prime minister, a U.S. citizen, wins Som... (Feb '17) Feb '17 lol 1
News New Charge for Man Accused of Shooting 11-Year-... (Dec '16) Dec '16 lol 1
Erie County Mugshots and Criminal Arrest Records (Sep '16) Sep '16 Stella 2
More from around the web