Venice Gelato to come to Wetumpka

Venice Gelato to come to Wetumpka

There are 3 comments on the Montgomery Advertiser story from Mar 4, 2009, titled Venice Gelato to come to Wetumpka. In it, Montgomery Advertiser reports that:

A gelato manufacturing and distribution facility is scheduled to open in Wetumpka, according to the Elmore County Economic Development Authority.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Montgomery Advertiser.

sabanfan

Springville, AL

#1 Mar 5, 2009
It has been great fun having a conversation about gelato coming to town. Ask someone if they are going to purchase some gelato. They don't know what it is.
steelers

Miami, FL

#2 May 10, 2009
i have tasted venice gelato...the taste is indescribably DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!
Definitely not gelato

Montgomery, AL

#3 Sep 12, 2009
We drove from Montgomery to Wetumpka expecting to find something at least a little like what we experienced in Italy. We were disappointed to say the least. First, the decor was just poorly done. Other than the sign out front, and the big picture of Venice when you come in the door, the place didn't even seem like an Italian ice cream shop. It had the feel of an office. When you walk into a gelato place, you expect to find gelato in big metal tubs behind a glass case, just like in Italy and, BTW, like Venice Gelato has in their advertisements and web site. Oddly, they have this big huge room and a cash register on one side of the room, with a sign listing the flovors on offer. No ice cream to be seen. So, the clerk takes your order and then goes into the back to get your ice cream. Very strange. Now the flavors they had were mostly American...stuff you'd never find in Italy: cookies and cream, chocolate chip cookie dough, etc. I think they had tiramisu and also lemon and a few other fruit flavors that were somewhat Italian. Well, after we ordered we had to wait ten minutes while the two clerks went in the back to get our little cups of "gelato"!!! Yes, 10 minutes to scoop up some ice cream and we paid $3 for each of them. I don't know what they were doing back there. Maybe making it from scratch? And then we had to go outside to eat them. Apparently it was because of some strange rule from the local health department. Anyway, we ordered chocolate, cookiedough, and lemon. None of it tasted even remotely like what you would get in Italy. It wasn't that soft and wasn't creamy at all. In fact, to me it tasted much like Publix brand ice cream, which isn't bad ice cream, but definitely not worth $3 for a little dixie cup. As you can tell I was very dissapointed by this place. They have a lot of work to do. Until they get their act together I suggest you try the Dairy Queen which is just down the road. The ice cream is better and cheaper.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elmore County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mother of 17-year-old Elmore County murder susp... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Family friend 1
News Draper Correctional Facility in Elmore (Jan '16) Mar '16 edward nard 3
Gays ran out of Millbrook, Alabama? (Mar '15) Jan '16 Misty 2
News Stephanie Nicole Jones (Apr '13) Aug '15 Don 12
News Elmore judge welcomes Alabama ruling halting 'b... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Christian Fumblem... 12
News 3 more home burglary arrests in Elmore County (Feb '15) Feb '15 madinelmore 1
News Felony rape suspect 'caught in the act' (Sep '10) May '13 Linda Coleman 6
More from around the web