Merriwether man charged with sexual c...

Merriwether man charged with sexual conduct on a minor

There are 36 comments on the WAGT story from Jul 27, 2008, titled Merriwether man charged with sexual conduct on a minor. In it, WAGT reports that:

An Edgefield County man is facing a sex charge against a minor. Bobby Hickson of Merriwether turned himself in Friday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WAGT.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
John Doe

Augusta, GA

#1 Jul 31, 2008
Please refrain from passing judgement. This is an accusation. Mr. Hickson has not been found guilty of a crime. The news is sensationalizing an accusation which has not been proven. Mr. Hickson is an upstanding citizen and I feel confident this is not true.
edgefield citizen

United States

#2 Aug 4, 2008
he is a sick man. he turned himself in, how could he not be guilty?
james

Syracuse, NY

#3 Aug 13, 2008
i know bobby.he was in the army i know becuase i done a interview on him. i belive hes not guilty.he is a good guy and this is none sense.
sc citizen

Sheridan, AR

#4 Aug 17, 2008
What right do you people have to judge a man you do not know? You have no idea what circumstances lie underneath, but yet ready to convict a man. How do you know whether or not this female is telling the truth or being told what to say. How close minded can you be to go on hear say and not the entire story?
Anonnymous

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Aug 18, 2008
I do know this man and my gut tells me that he is guilty. I do not know this to be a fact, no one does but him and the victim. Everyone needs to just let this thing play out in court and stop bickering about it. On another note, this "female being told what to say" is the VICTIM, not Mr. Hickson. I know his friends and family are going through a lot right now, but so is the victim's friends and family. You say you shouldnt pass judgement on Mr. Hickson, then why are you passing judgement on the victim?
concerned parent

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#7 Aug 28, 2008
I also know Mr. Hickson, the victim, and her family. It does not matter how long a person has been in the Army or how long they have been an EMT with the family ambulance company, or how well known they are in the community... noone REALLY KNOWS anyone. The victim's family and Mr. Hickson's family have been friends for over ten years. The victim's family thought they KNEW Mr. Hickson as well. How many years of knowing someone is enough to REALLY KNOW them??? Otherwise, they would have NEVER let their daughter be around him.
Bottom line was that there WAS sufficient evidence for the ECSD and SLED to arrest Mr. Hickson on the charges. They do NOT arrest on "hearsay".
Also, if you know the victim and her family, you will know that because of Mr. Hickson's actions, their lives are forever changed. I applaud the minor victim. She was brave in telling under the circumstances she was faced with at such a young age.
If any of you, that are claiming Mr.Hickson's innocence, have teenage daughters, please think twice before you allow them around this man. I know the victim's parents wish they had.
As for "passing judgement"... it is not for us to do so. The minor victim and her family are confident that the evidence will speak for itself and through the court system justice will prevail.
A message to the "anonnymous" person above, if you have any information, I would advise you contact the necessary authorities. Sometimes our gut feelings are right.
Also, a message to "John Doe"... I do believe in innocent until proven guilty. If you could witness what the victim and her family are experiencing, there would be no doubt in your mind. However, evidence is usually a huge part of any charge against a person.
Again, the evidence is speaking for itself. The evidence does NOT lie and it is NOT being told what to say or do.
another concerned parent

United States

#8 Sep 13, 2008
Glad to see some one actually make some sense (Concerned parent). I worked with Hickson too and I don't like him at all.... that being said, I am in no possition to judge because I don't know the circumstances. However, I too am a parent and given the circumstances, I wouldn't let my children within 100 yards of this guy.
concerned parent

Columbia, SC

#9 Sep 14, 2008
How is he working as an emt?
Hmmm

Hilton Head Island, SC

#10 Dec 10, 2008
So did he fire any of you? I'd hate for any of you to be on my Jury since you already know all the facts.
NC parent

Hilton Head Island, SC

#11 Dec 10, 2008
To the concerned parent from "Lawerence MS" You seem to know alot about the situation. Just wondering if your related?
Also, a message to "John Doe"... I do believe in innocent until proven guilty. Ohh When? You convicted him in your message above.
And just because she's a young doesn't meen she's telling the truth. A month later people. What are you going to find in a house a month later. Why wait a month?
All Facts Should Be Known

Graniteville, SC

#12 Jan 4, 2009
It should known that the father of the girl accusing Bobby Hickson of molestation was employed by Hickson's family's ambulance service for several years and he,and his family including his parents, were treated with kindness and generosity by the Hickson family.

Earlier this year, the Hicksons were shocked and deeply hurt to learn that the girl's father had been secretly starting his own ambulance company while employed by them. He used their computers, employees and contacts to conduct his new business several months before leaving.

Wheb legal action was taken by the Hicksons, the former employer came up with this story about his daughter being molested by Bobby.

It sounds mighty convenient to me. The brazenness of this girl's family continues to amaze me.
BOBBYS FRIEND SIKE

Saint Louis, MO

#13 Apr 13, 2009
I know bobby hickson and his family. they are extremely croocked people. bobby is very aggressive and stalks young girls. did he rape his "ex-beast-friends" daughter. Yes. He is a sick angry man, he will continue to postpone his hearing to torment his victim. in the meantime, he creates more. CHANGE YOUR LIFE BOBBY!!!!
the army

United States

#14 May 26, 2010
I would like to know how this man as not went to court yet. Are the judges slow or is edgefield county a safe haven for preditors. He did turn is self in. And what about his sons? What kind of conversation could you have at diner.( well son lets talk about what i did last week ). he needs to go to court asap to put his family's mind at rest. How can i look at him in a miltary uniform, and let him tell me what to do
Blah

Waterloo, Canada

#15 Sep 3, 2010
the army wrote:
I would like to know how this man as not went to court yet. Are the judges slow or is edgefield county a safe haven for preditors. He did turn is self in. And what about his sons? What kind of conversation could you have at diner.( well son lets talk about what i did last week ). he needs to go to court asap to put his family's mind at rest. How can i look at him in a miltary uniform, and let him tell me what to do
The family is putting out big bucks top keep him outta court and convicted till he gets his retirement from the reserves!!! Gotta love the Justice system!
Concerned Parent

North Augusta, SC

#16 Feb 12, 2011
First of all, the father of the teenager that was kidnapped, held at knife point and sexually molested did NOT work for the ambulance company. I repeat, the father did NOT work for the ambulance company. Talk about getting the facts straight...
Second, I believe the family ambulance company has taken a dive and has closed its doors in Columbia due to all the expense of the attorney fees. After all, it does cost a great deal to try and get a guilty man off the hook. It is not going make a difference how much they pay to defend Bobby Hickson, because bottom line he is guilty.
Thirdly, Edgefield just might be a safe haven... Edgefield has court four times a year because the only DA is out of Lexington, SC and he covers many counties for court. The court system is extremely SLOW!
In the meantime, Bobby has been able to see his oldest son marry and continue to enjoy the freedom of being innocent until proven guilty. However, I am told he is NOT allowed to practice as an EMT anymore... instead he gets to now work in the garage shop... that is still freedom.
The teenager and her family are still trying to find some kind of normalcy in this unimaginable nightmare that totally disrupted their family and their world.
There are hundreds of cases in Edgefield waiting their fair trial. There is nothing fair about having to wait over two years for justice.
My heart goes out to the teenager and her family. By the time they can even start to put their family back together and move forward, court will be around the corner and it will all start over for that teenager.
Justice will be served.
Concerned Parent

North Augusta, SC

#17 Feb 12, 2011
John Doe wrote:
Please refrain from passing judgement. This is an accusation. Mr. Hickson has not been found guilty of a crime. The news is sensationalizing an accusation which has not been proven. Mr. Hickson is an upstanding citizen and I feel confident this is not true.
In the meantime of your confidence that he is not guily, if you have any daughters, you would be wise to keep an eyue on them or should I say keep an eye on him.
Concerned Parent

North Augusta, SC

#18 Feb 12, 2011
All Facts Should Be Known wrote:
It should known that the father of the girl accusing Bobby Hickson of molestation was employed by Hickson's family's ambulance service for several years and he,and his family including his parents, were treated with kindness and generosity by the Hickson family.
Earlier this year, the Hicksons were shocked and deeply hurt to learn that the girl's father had been secretly starting his own ambulance company while employed by them. He used their computers, employees and contacts to conduct his new business several months before leaving.
Wheb legal action was taken by the Hicksons, the former employer came up with this story about his daughter being molested by Bobby.
It sounds mighty convenient to me. The brazenness of this girl's family continues to amaze me.
wow... you really do NOT know the Hickson Family after all. The Victum's father has NEVER been employed by anyone in this family or the company. Get YOUR facts straight! And, as for this girl's family being brave, bravery has nothing to do with what Bobby did to that teenager. I pray you do NOT have a daughter that has been in Bobby's path.
family friend

Spring Hill, TN

#19 May 16, 2011
I happen to know the hicksons and can tell you that Bobby is a good man and I do not belive he would do this sort of thing. He has been around my girls and never once has he done anything to make me think he would do this. The hicksons are a good family and the Lord will see them through this. And the girls father did work for the Hicksons, so you have no clue what you are talking about. The fatherdid use thier computers and employee contacts to conduct his new business, to me thats the same as stealing, and because he got caught he has his child come up with this story. I feel for the girl.
Jane doe

El Paso, TX

#20 Aug 3, 2011
Concerned Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
wow... you really do NOT know the Hickson Family after all. The Victum's father has NEVER been employed by anyone in this family or the company. Get YOUR facts straight! And, as for this girl's family being brave, bravery has nothing to do with what Bobby did to that teenager. I pray you do NOT have a daughter that has been in Bobby's path.
You say get you facts straight but yet I can tell you do not know the Hickson family. I have known them for a very long time and I know plenty of girls that are gorgeous and he has never touched them or even made them feel uncomfortable. So before you get on website and post things like this maybe you should realize that what your saying is nothing but another lie and hurting the Hickson family more. I hope who ever you are that you realize the hurt you have caused and get your facts straight about the family and what Bobby did before you run your mouth anymore.
Jane doe

El Paso, TX

#21 Aug 3, 2011
Concerned Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
In the meantime of your confidence that he is not guily, if you have any daughters, you would be wise to keep an eyue on them or should I say keep an eye on him.
I hope who ever you are that you pay for the words that you say because Bobby did not do this. I have known the Hickson family is a great family and Bobby would never do anythinglike this. How could you point fingers when you have no clue who the family really is. And point fingers at a man that fights for your freedom.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Edgefield County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Graniteville Man Found Dead in County (Mar '14) Mar '14 Donna Johnson 2
News Man Burning Tires Flees from Deputies (Jan '13) Jan '13 Eyes Wide Open 1
News PASS tests show improvement (Jul '11) Jul '11 tammy 1
Bedenbaugh 's (May '11) May '11 dee 1
News Life & Faith: Exploring the roots of different ... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Wilberhum 1
Now that's what I call some good welfare! (Jan '10) Jan '10 Wild Bill 1
pure facts!!!!!! (Sep '09) Oct '09 haha 16
More from around the web