Evansdale City Council investigates police chief

Full story: Waterloo Courier

Police Chief Mike Burke may have been cleared of any wrongdoing concerning the possession of city property by prosecutors, but not necessarily by the city.
Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Sep 3, 2007
PATRICIA BURKE PARNELL

Mankato, MN

#1 Nov 13, 2006
I WOULD LIKE TO ADD MY COMMENT ON MY BROTHER BEING FIRED,,, ITS WRONG,, I HAVE KNOWN MY BROTHER TO BE AN UPSTANDING LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER,, I HAVE SEEN HIM GROW UP WITH LAW ENFORCEMENT... I THINK THE COUCIL WAS ALL WRONG IN FIREING HIM.. DO YOU REALIZE THAT NOW MIKE CANNOT FIND A JOB IN LAW,, THIS HAS BEEN HIS LIFE,,, YOU JUST KILLED IT......JUST THEIR WAY OF GETTING RID OF HIM BEFORE RETIREMENT,, ITS ALL WRONG... I STAND BY MY BROTHER... WHILE HE WAS OVER IN WESTFIELD, IOWA TENDING TO OUR TERMINAL MOTHER YOU ALL WENT BEHIND HIS BACK AND DID THIS TO HIM... HE WAS TORE UP WITH HIS MOTHER AND NOW THIS,, OUR MOTHER IS DIEING,, THIS I DON'T LIKE AT ALL....YOU HAVE TO HAVE MORE REASON TO DO THIS..... IF MY MOTHER EVER HEARS THIS SHE WILL DIE SOONER FROM HEARTBREAK,, HE HAS ENOUGH ON HIS PLATE WITHOUT BEING KICKED IN THE TEETH BY HIS FELLOW OFFICERS AND THE COUNCIL.. I HOPE THE COUNCIL SEES THIS,, I AM BOILING MAD ABOUT THIS,,, I HAVE KNOWN MY BROTHER FOR MORE LONGER THAN THEM,, YOUR WRONG FOR THIS.. HOPE YOU CAN SLEEP AT NIGHT FOR WHAT YOU DID TO HIS CAREER.. PATRICIA BURKE PARNELL (I HAVE BEEN HERE IN IOWA CARING FOR DIEING MOTHER AND WHEN MIKE CAME OVER TO PLACE HER IN NURSING HOME,, COUNCIL STABBED HIM IN BACK)
Albert H Sadow

Merritt Island, FL

#2 May 21, 2007
As a a former (now retired) 34 year law enforcement officer, fifteen as police chief, my observations are that the former chief was a victim of internal politics. Since when does the tail wag the dog? The chief may have used poor judgment in using the city's equipment, but unless there was intent to convert the piece of equipment to his personal ownership, a written reprimand or at best, a suspension would have sufficed. The prosecutor apparently agreed those lines by finding no intent and no crime. You may have ruined the career of a fine law enforcement officer. I do not personally know the former chief, but unless his disciplinary record is poor, there was little need to heed the voice of several malcontents. You've opened the door for this group to call the shots on subsequent chiefs who do not meet the criteria set down by the "union." You may as well give them a seat at your table. While the former chief's actions may be certainly regarded as temporary stupidity, they certainly did not warrant a dismissal. The punishment did not fit the "crime." The Mayor and Council's waffle job was a poor example of city governance and even worse, poor leadership. Thank you for the opportunity to express my opinion. I also speak as a former city manager.
June L Waterloo IA

Cedar Falls, IA

#3 Jun 15, 2007
Obviously people are unclear on the real story. Former chief Burke was not fired over the whole power washer incident. He was fired for sexual harassment, something he gotten away with for year. Now someone finally had the strength to come forward. You would think that already being in the lime light w/ this whole power washer incident would cause the former chief to mind his p's and q's, instead he did it anyway because he had the attitude that he was untouchable, which is another reason why he should not be in a position of power....ever!!!
June L Waterloo IA

Cedar Falls, IA

#4 Jun 15, 2007
Obviously people are unclear on the real story. Former chief Burke was not fired over the whole power washer incident. He was fired for sexual harassment, something he has gotten away with for years. Now someone finally had the strength to come forward. You would think that already being in the lime light w/ this whole power washer incident would cause the former chief to mind his p's and q's, instead he did it anyway because he had the attitude that he was untouchable, another good reason why he should never be in a position of power....ever!!!
WATCHING

AOL

#5 Sep 3, 2007
June L: You sure seem to know a lot. Another E'Dale insider spouting off lies. But, what else is new. Get a life. I've known the Chief for years. What you describe IS NOT him.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dubuque County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
More (Feb '14) Feb '14 Former employee 1
Dubuque County Begins Smart 911 (Dec '13) Dec '13 Tom 1
Eastern Iowa city faces losing half of its popu... (Oct '11) Oct '11 carl 1
Livestock Producers Urge President Obama To Sto... (Aug '11) Aug '11 Tom 1
Burglars hit storage units, take items worth $8... (May '11) May '11 Jameson 1
Rumble Strips Set For Certain Iowa Rural Roads (Jun '10) Jun '10 Anonymous 3
Shooting of Dyersville man found "legally justi... (Dec '09) Dec '09 yep 2
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••