Tough owl wrecks pickup truck, but su...

Tough owl wrecks pickup truck, but survives crash

There are 33 comments on the hosted.ap.org story from Oct 13, 2009, titled Tough owl wrecks pickup truck, but survives crash . In it, hosted.ap.org reports that:

Talk about one tough owl. Police in southern Indiana said a great horned owl flew through the pre-dawn darkness into the front of a moving Ford F-250 pickup truck - and survived even as the collision mangled the truck's radiator.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at hosted.ap.org.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Ante Omnia Armari”

Since: Nov 07

"You get back what you give"

#24 Oct 15, 2009
writewingproxycontin wrote:
<quoted text>
The article made it sound as though the owl, which was recovered from inside the radiator compartment, had only superficial injuries.
I hear ya, like that is suppose to make the humans feel better, less quilt that a magnificent creature was killed? Accidents happen and vehicles for the most part can be repaired. Not so for that owl.

Simon Templer

“Does avatar make me look gay?”

Since: Oct 09

Ravena, NY

#25 Oct 15, 2009
hillbilly wrote:
<quoted text>that owl may only weigh about a pound,but a razor blade don't weigh a oz..but will cut you to the bone,,chicken hawk only weighs about a pound,every try to get one off a chicken,you better have a ball bat,,matter of fact when hawk attacks,if chicken has tie cord around its leg,hawk will rip the leg off the chickens body, when it flys off carying the chicken..a owl will reach thru the wire a tear off a chickens head,,allways easy to tell if a owl got into the chicken pen because it tears the head off all the chickens..and leaves them laying..
Staighten the leg the claws open, just like a chicken.
hillbilly

Dunlap, TN

#26 Oct 16, 2009
BonJayne wrote:
<quoted text>
Why all the chickens??? Will the owl come back for the dead???
no a hawk kills to eat.a owl kills for fun,a owl in a chicken pen killing chickens will not even stop, when you enter a pen,a hawk will fly away when he spots you..dont think a owl will not attack you.because it will.
hillbilly

Dunlap, TN

#27 Oct 16, 2009
Simon Templer wrote:
<quoted text>Staighten the leg the claws open, just like a chicken.
hope that owl dont peck you while you staighten the legs,,because you will need stiches,,they will put a racoon down..and if its a screach owl,you may need a hearing aid after the fight.
hillbilly

Dunlap, TN

#28 Oct 16, 2009
Simply_Red wrote:
<quoted text>I hear ya, like that is suppose to make the humans feel better, less quilt that a magnificent creature was killed? Accidents happen and vehicles for the most part can be repaired. Not so for that owl.
i got about a hundred of them magnificent creatures around here.wish they were at your house..they will kill chickens as fast as they can get to them,i can eat chickens but not owls.at daylite today one was still trying to get into a chicken pen,,

“Ante Omnia Armari”

Since: Nov 07

"You get back what you give"

#29 Oct 16, 2009
hillbilly wrote:
<quoted text>i got about a hundred of them magnificent creatures around here.wish they were at your house..they will kill chickens as fast as they can get to them,i can eat chickens but not owls.at daylite today one was still trying to get into a chicken pen,,
I understand about the problems that arise trying to raise chickens. Coons, weasels, hawks, coyotes, all here in this area do damage to chickens also, but I'm not going to start killing every damned one of them. Sorry if it bugs you that I think owls are beautiful creatures, but no need to be hating on me, is there?

Simon Templer

Ravena, NY

#30 Oct 16, 2009
hillbilly wrote:
<quoted text>hope that owl dont peck you while you staighten the legs,,because you will need stiches,,they will put a racoon down..and if its a screach owl,you may need a hearing aid after the fight.
Wow. That moonshine must be good! I've worked with about two thousand birds of prey from dwarf owls and pigmy falcons to Andean condors and there isn't one word of truth in anything you say! Amazing. Must be just in your little tiny corner of the universe. And by the way..screech owls don't screech, they actually hoot. Most owl sounds you hear on tv are actually recorded screech owls regardless of the type of owl shown. A great horned owl on the other hand, during breeding season, sounds like a cross between a bobcat with a hot brand shoved in it's keister and a woman being torn apart with a blunt rock.

Simon Templer

Ravena, NY

#31 Oct 16, 2009
Simply_Red wrote:
<quoted text>I understand about the problems that arise trying to raise chickens. Coons, weasels, hawks, coyotes, all here in this area do damage to chickens also, but I'm not going to start killing every damned one of them. Sorry if it bugs you that I think owls are beautiful creatures, but no need to be hating on me, is there?
Never make eye contact with the insane...
hillbilly

Dunlap, TN

#33 Oct 17, 2009
Simon Templer wrote:
<quoted text>Wow. That moonshine must be good! I've worked with about two thousand birds of prey from dwarf owls and pigmy falcons to Andean condors and there isn't one word of truth in anything you say! Amazing. Must be just in your little tiny corner of the universe. And by the way..screech owls don't screech, they actually hoot. Most owl sounds you hear on tv are actually recorded screech owls regardless of the type of owl shown. A great horned owl on the other hand, during breeding season, sounds like a cross between a bobcat with a hot brand shoved in it's keister and a woman being torn apart with a blunt rock.
tell my wife that the owl that scared her half to deaf did not screech,matter of fact it is so loud it will hurt your ears..now a hoot owl hoots,from light sound up to a more noisy sound,,but it don't scream like a screech owl..i don't need to see them on TV.because there is a hoot owl in my back yard right now,,i guess what we call a screech owl must be a great horned owl.but they don't only scream during breeding season,just walk out thru the woods,get close to one,screech owl not bad to get into chickens,but a hoot owl is always trying..matter of fact there is a small chicken hawk,that is flying onto my back porch every day about daylight,,it is trying to get into a pen that has 7 small guineas inside,,i have run it off so many times,that its getting to be a routine..

Simon Templer

Ravena, NY

#34 Oct 17, 2009
hillbilly wrote:
<quoted text>tell my wife that the owl that scared her half to deaf did not screech,matter of fact it is so loud it will hurt your ears..now a hoot owl hoots,from light sound up to a more noisy sound,,but it don't scream like a screech owl..i don't need to see them on TV.because there is a hoot owl in my back yard right now,,i guess what we call a screech owl must be a great horned owl.but they don't only scream during breeding season,just walk out thru the woods,get close to one,screech owl not bad to get into chickens,but a hoot owl is always trying..matter of fact there is a small chicken hawk,that is flying onto my back porch every day about daylight,,it is trying to get into a pen that has 7 small guineas inside,,i have run it off so many times,that its getting to be a routine..
Now misidentifying species is another matter, but having kept many rehab owls in my own house, never had one hurt my ears. Must only do it outdoors. Sit out on the porch at night after 11 in Jan, early Feb. The sounds you hear that make your testicles creep right up into your abdomen are great horned owls in love...
hillbilly

Dunlap, TN

#35 Oct 18, 2009
yes the great horned owl we call screech owls,will sound off if you approch or scare them..people often mistake them for a cat screaming.they will also make a nest close to your home,and use the same nest for several years.i got a big i do mean big hoot owl that comes around about every night,hoots for a while ,you can walk out side,look at him he will just sit there,then you can yell at him,he will fly away untill about day light..i got several red headed wood peckers around here that was born 2 year ago,they have made the back yard home..the return about every day,,every spring they hatch off eggs in site of my back door,the old mother bird must of died off last year,because she is no longer around,but she was here for several years,i been fighting with this owl several years,at first i left radio playing in chicken pen,but it got used to that,so i used a light,now its no longer afraid of the light..i put hardware cloth over the wire,so all he can do is scare the chickens,,
hillbilly

Dunlap, TN

#36 Oct 18, 2009
i think its about time for thses red tailed hawks to leave for the winter,,they must leave because i dont have them all winter

Simon Templer

Ravena, NY

#37 Oct 18, 2009
hillbilly wrote:
i think its about time for thses red tailed hawks to leave for the winter,,they must leave because i dont have them all winter
Most migrate, but here they are replaced with tundra howks from Canada. They have small feet and may be a danger to voles and mice, but probably not the chickens.

Look for crows nests to find great horned owl nests in mid to late february. They use them during the winter. After a snow they are easy to spot during the day sitting on their eggs, as they will sit up if they hear a noise and are reluctant to move off them because of the cold. Not advocating shooting them, but..just a tip. It's not like they are in short supply.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dubois County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
No girls in huntingburg? Apr '17 Bigirl 1
looking for (Nov '16) Nov '16 i know 1
News 9 more Indiana turkey farms infected with bird flu (Jan '16) Jan '16 Theocraencyclical 10
News Huntingburg woman sentenced in connection with ... (Sep '15) Sep '15 poopy pants mcgee 1
News Armadillos may be invading Indiana (Jun '09) Oct '13 tom 5
News Ferdinand Town Council asks for Police Chief's ... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Alan Reece 1
News Frisbee golf could be coming to Dubois Co. (Feb '12) Feb '12 Nate 1
More from around the web