Tough owl wrecks pickup truck, but su...

Tough owl wrecks pickup truck, but survives crash

There are 33 comments on the hosted.ap.org story from Oct 13, 2009, titled Tough owl wrecks pickup truck, but survives crash . In it, hosted.ap.org reports that:

Talk about one tough owl. Police in southern Indiana said a great horned owl flew through the pre-dawn darkness into the front of a moving Ford F-250 pickup truck - and survived even as the collision mangled the truck's radiator.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at hosted.ap.org.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Proff Louie alternator

Bethlehem, PA

#1 Oct 13, 2009
For a minute there,I thought they where talking about my Mother-in-law....( owl be seeing ya'll in court)
DILF

Huntington, NY

#2 Oct 13, 2009
They sure don't make pick-up trucks like they used to......

“Yo ho and a bottle of rum...”

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#3 Oct 13, 2009
The Ford F-250, built Ford tough?

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Oct 13, 2009
You're In Good Hands With Owlstate.

“Ante Omnia Armari”

Since: Nov 07

"You get back what you give"

#5 Oct 13, 2009
Poor bird. Okay, open hunting season on Fords, ANY Fords. "A hunting we will go, a hunting we will go..."

Hope the owl does survive but chances are it will die.

Since: Jul 09

wicklow co wicklow county wick

#6 Oct 13, 2009
yes poor bird they think its some kind of god and is a sign to worship it= and these people are grown men thats what makes it so funny all hail the owl lol

Since: Jul 09

wicklow co wicklow county wick

#7 Oct 13, 2009
(:)(;) hoot hoot

“Crude, Rude, and Lewd!”

Sayonara Falls.

#8 Oct 13, 2009
AnnABananAngel wrote:
(:)(;) hoot hoot
And I was just going to say no one gives a hoot.

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Oct 13, 2009
Simply_Red wrote:
Hope the owl does survive but chances are it will die.
The article made it sound as though the owl, which was recovered from inside the radiator compartment, had only superficial injuries.

carlyg

“Is this a vork?”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#10 Oct 13, 2009
Wonder if it's the same owl that ate my wabbit!

Simon Templer

“Does avatar make me look gay?”

Since: Oct 09

Ravena, NY

#11 Oct 13, 2009
Mechanic lifts hood: "I think it's time for and owl change..."
Proff Louie alternator

Bethlehem, PA

#12 Oct 14, 2009
Simon Templer wrote:
Mechanic lifts hood: "I think it's time for and owl change..."
Louie sips: Spits out coffee,,,,lol

“Yo ho and a bottle of rum...”

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#16 Oct 14, 2009
Well O'wl be dam.

Simon Templer

Ravena, NY

#17 Oct 14, 2009
writewingproxycontin wrote:
<quoted text>
The article made it sound as though the owl, which was recovered from inside the radiator compartment, had only superficial injuries.
A great horned owl weighs about a pound and a half. The bones in their heads are as thin as cigarette papers, legs, wings, ribs are hollow. Even most small birds that fly into windows full tilt may look fine and fly off, dying later from cerebral hemorrhage.

“cougar w/sharp claws”

Since: Mar 08

The kitten, NOT ME!!!!

#18 Oct 14, 2009
Simon Templer wrote:
<quoted text>A great horned owl weighs about a pound and a half. The bones in their heads are as thin as cigarette papers, legs, wings, ribs are hollow. Even most small birds that fly into windows full tilt may look fine and fly off, dying later from cerebral hemorrhage.
People wonder why there are so many mice and critters in the corn fields. One reason is that birds can break their bones on the stalks.

“Ante Omnia Armari”

#19 Oct 14, 2009
Simon Templer wrote:
<quoted text>A great horned owl weighs about a pound and a half. The bones in their heads are as thin as cigarette papers, legs, wings, ribs are hollow. Even most small birds that fly into windows full tilt may look fine and fly off, dying later from cerebral hemorrhage.
Stop being so technical dammit.;^P
Birds are more fragile than they appear, especially the larger ones.
I know, I know, the birds are taking up too much highway so no great loss, huh? There's way too many humans along my streets, I will be buying a CHEVY..get the job done right.

Simon Templer

Ravena, NY

#20 Oct 14, 2009
Simply_Red wrote:
<quoted text>Stop being so technical dammit.;^P
Birds are more fragile than they appear, especially the larger ones.
I know, I know, the birds are taking up too much highway so no great loss, huh? There's way too many humans along my streets, I will be buying a CHEVY..get the job done right.
Nope, you know I like birds in general, esp the birds of prey. I'm not sayin we had one of these two weeks ago that was found thin and dehydrated a couple weeks ago on a Sunday when no rehabbers or wildlife officers were around, because THAT would be illegal. Get it. Ill egal- a sick bird...I know I made you smile.(but we did)

“Ante Omnia Armari”

#21 Oct 14, 2009
Simon Templer wrote:
<quoted text>Nope, you know I like birds in general, esp the birds of prey. I'm not sayin we had one of these two weeks ago that was found thin and dehydrated a couple weeks ago on a Sunday when no rehabbers or wildlife officers were around, because THAT would be illegal. Get it. Ill egal- a sick bird...I know I made you smile.(but we did)
Around here the A-holes just let them die, so I would never call them anyways. I know you like most all animals, but I was teasing you about being knowledgeable, lol. I find many people don't care to be educated about birds, just my experience.
hillbilly

Dunlap, TN

#22 Oct 15, 2009
Simon Templer wrote:
that owl may only weigh about a pound,but a razor blade don't weigh a oz..but will cut you to the bone,,chicken hawk only weighs about a pound,every try to get one off a chicken,you better have a ball bat,,matter of fact when hawk attacks,if chicken has tie cord around its leg,hawk will rip the leg off the chickens body, when it flys off carying the chicken..a owl will reach thru the wire a tear off a chickens head,,allways easy to tell if a owl got into the chicken pen because it tears the head off all the chickens..and leaves them laying..

“cougar w/sharp claws”

Since: Mar 08

The kitten, NOT ME!!!!

#23 Oct 15, 2009
hillbilly wrote:
<quoted text>that owl may only weigh about a pound,but a razor blade don't weigh a oz..but will cut you to the bone,,chicken hawk only weighs about a pound,every try to get one off a chicken,you better have a ball bat,,matter of fact when hawk attacks,if chicken has tie cord around its leg,hawk will rip the leg off the chickens body, when it flys off carying the chicken..a owl will reach thru the wire a tear off a chickens head,,allways easy to tell if a owl got into the chicken pen because it tears the head off all the chickens..and leaves them laying..
Why all the chickens??? Will the owl come back for the dead???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dubois County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
No girls in huntingburg? Apr '17 Bigirl 1
looking for (Nov '16) Nov '16 i know 1
News 9 more Indiana turkey farms infected with bird flu (Jan '16) Jan '16 Theocraencyclical 10
News Huntingburg woman sentenced in connection with ... (Sep '15) Sep '15 poopy pants mcgee 1
News Armadillos may be invading Indiana (Jun '09) Oct '13 tom 5
News Ferdinand Town Council asks for Police Chief's ... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Alan Reece 1
News Frisbee golf could be coming to Dubois Co. (Feb '12) Feb '12 Nate 1
More from around the web