Death of a 2-year-old prompts further...

Death of a 2-year-old prompts further investigation

There are 33 comments on the WTHI Terre Haute story from Aug 6, 2008, titled Death of a 2-year-old prompts further investigation. In it, WTHI Terre Haute reports that:

The death of a 2-year-old in southern Indiana has prompted an internal investigation by the Indiana Department of Child Services.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTHI Terre Haute.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
vrcarlson

Clayton, IN

#1 Aug 6, 2008
this is the welfare system for you, i had a welfare women tell me that just because parents are on drugs that doesnt make them bad parents that is the vermillion co. welfare office.
my answer

Pimento, IN

#2 Aug 6, 2008
vrcarlson wrote:
this is the welfare system for you, i had a welfare women tell me that just because parents are on drugs that doesnt make them bad parents that is the vermillion co. welfare office.
I think that department, in general, has more respect for you if you are a lowlife scum. Try being a decent person and have to deal with them. It's a nightmare. They attack you like rabid wolves.
wondering

Naperville, IL

#3 Aug 6, 2008
this could have been avoided....if there were drugs found in the infant than why wasnt the child taken from the home...im sure the dcs people feel good about this...
Sister Margo

Delaware, OH

#4 Aug 6, 2008
This is absolutely unacceptable. If CPS was called on me for not having my house clean enough, I would spend days making sure that it was spotless and then still worry that my baby is going to be taken away. But if a child shows up with drugs in their system, CPS does nothing?! The lack of action by the CPS agent needs to be considered a contributing factor in this child's death. Both that person and the child's parents should spend their lives in prison.
John Williams

Fort Wayne, IN

#5 Aug 7, 2008
You know, if this were an animal that had been foud with drugs in it's system, there would have been instant removal from the home, probably instant jail for the owner and major outcry. WTF is wrong with people today. How do you give your 2 yr old access to meth? How does a state worker NOT remove the child from the home? That worker should be fired and forced to look at pictures of that poor child for a month. Man I am sick of kids dying and then all we have to do is have an excuse to justify what we do not do that is right. Animals have better protection than kids. Just sickening.
Kat

United States

#6 Aug 7, 2008
I just do not understand why the CPS person incharge of that child's care could let him stay with a mother that let her child get into meth. I believe that person should be held liable for the death of the child as well. The mother is very young and should of been helped and not just let go to live her life as a drug addict. Someone could of helped her, now it's to late.
Bee

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Aug 7, 2008
Makes ya wonder "who is really protecting these children"? It gets worse and worse everytime you turn on the news.......heartbreaking.
mistyann

Rossiter, PA

#8 Aug 7, 2008
and why was he not taken fron the house the first time. and people say there is justice please show me were. i dont see how the people from DCS can sleep at nights or look at themselves in the mirror
carrie

United States

#9 Aug 7, 2008
mistyann wrote:
and why was he not taken fron the house the first time. and people say there is justice please show me were. i dont see how the people from DCS can sleep at nights or look at themselves in the mirror
hey mistyann,we sleep just fine,cause at least we are trying to help. what have you been doing lately?
ohh that's right---NOTHING....
John Williams

United States

#10 Aug 7, 2008
Carrie, would you care to add to that? Can you tell us why the child was left in the home? Would it not be child endangerment when a child gets a hold of meth? Not sure of the rules but I do understand common sense and it doesn't appear that it was exercised in this case. What is needed here to assure that cases like this quit occurring inside the state? I would think this kind of thing would weigh heavy on any case worker if it occurred under their watch whether they are trying to do something or not. It would most likely alter my career path after that.
blue

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Aug 7, 2008
carrie wrote:
<quoted text>
hey mistyann,we sleep just fine,cause at least we are trying to help. what have you been doing lately?
ohh that's right---NOTHING....
How can you possibly say that when so many children are dying and being neglected. I know of several young parents that are drug users and neglect their children and have been called about....and nothing gets done. I seriously don't think you people give a damn......except getting paid for a check you don't earn.
carrie

United States

#12 Aug 7, 2008
John Williams wrote:
Carrie, would you care to add to that? Can you tell us why the child was left in the home? Would it not be child endangerment when a child gets a hold of meth? Not sure of the rules but I do understand common sense and it doesn't appear that it was exercised in this case. What is needed here to assure that cases like this quit occurring inside the state? I would think this kind of thing would weigh heavy on any case worker if it occurred under their watch whether they are trying to do something or not. It would most likely alter my career path after that.
I can't say, but I do know that the legal system has alot to do with it. Our hands are tied so tight that we can get caught in that nasty thing called red tape. If you want to help, start writing our legislators,they should have a very heavy burden to carry home to their family's at night too. I won't stop working for our kids as long as I am breathing.
carrie

United States

#13 Aug 7, 2008
blue wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you possibly say that when so many children are dying and being neglected. I know of several young parents that are drug users and neglect their children and have been called about....and nothing gets done. I seriously don't think you people give a ****......except getting paid for a check you don't earn.
Blue,I can say that because I am only one of thousands who go to work every day and see this on a daily basis,if I start losing sleep, than I can't focus on what's at hand for that day for the week or even for the month.We give a **** and believe me we are not in it for the paycheck, it's not that much.
my opinion

Cookeville, TN

#14 Aug 7, 2008
carrie wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't say, but I do know that the legal system has alot to do with it. Our hands are tied so tight that we can get caught in that nasty thing called red tape. If you want to help, start writing our legislators,they should have a very heavy burden to carry home to their family's at night too. I won't stop working for our kids as long as I am breathing.
In South Dakota they have a law that makes meth use by any caregiver equal to child abuse and the child can be taken away. They also wrote the law so that it applies to that it will cover any "hard" drugs in the future. It needs to be in all states. I've written my state reps about it and guess I'll write again.

Carrie, can you tell me if someone wanted to work for CPS where should they start?
Bee

Indianapolis, IN

#15 Aug 7, 2008
carrie wrote:
<quoted text>
Blue,I can say that because I am only one of thousands who go to work every day and see this on a daily basis,if I start losing sleep, than I can't focus on what's at hand for that day for the week or even for the month.We give a **** and believe me we are not in it for the paycheck, it's not that much.
I'm sorry.....I am taking this out on the wrong people....your right, I am sure there is alot of red tape...what can we, the public do to help?????
mistyann

Rossiter, PA

#16 Aug 7, 2008
carrie wrote:
<quoted text>
hey mistyann,we sleep just fine,cause at least we are trying to help. what have you been doing lately?
ohh that's right---NOTHING....
working in the hospital er where i SAVE LIVES
mistyann

Rossiter, PA

#17 Aug 7, 2008
carrie wrote:
<quoted text>
hey mistyann,we sleep just fine,cause at least we are trying to help. what have you been doing lately?
ohh that's right---NOTHING....
dont get me wrong but the child had METH in his system i should be a no brainer
Native American

Bloomington, IN

#18 Aug 7, 2008
Blue,I can say that because I am only one of thousands who go to work every day and see this on a daily basis,if I start losing sleep, than I can't focus on what's at hand for that day for the week or even for the month.We give a **** and believe me we are not in it for the paycheck, it's not that much
If the cps cared so much there would not be as many injured children as there as been lately. Personally I think you all need to be fired and get someone in there who knows what the he-- they are doing and will do that. I am speaking from experience because if I had not been the B---- that I can be one of my grandchildren would have been one of these victims because cps couldn't get off their chairs. but due to our persistence she is alive and happy today.
CPS IN INIANA STINKS BIG TIME

Since: Aug 08

Montgomery, IN

#19 Aug 20, 2008
carrie wrote:
<quoted text>
hey mistyann,we sleep just fine,cause at least we are trying to help. what have you been doing lately?
ohh that's right---NOTHING....
Is that your defintion of trying to help.
If it is GO TO HELL!
YOU SAY U CAN SLEEP, DO YOU HAVE KIDS?
"Ohh that's right"--I HOPE NOT!

Since: Aug 08

Montgomery, IN

#20 Aug 20, 2008
can you tell us why you're defending criminals. I would think you'd be defending helpless children.
ISN'T THAT YOUR JOB?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dubois County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 9 more Indiana turkey farms infected with bird flu (Jan '16) Jan '16 Theocraencyclical 10
News Huntingburg woman sentenced in connection with ... (Sep '15) Sep '15 poopy pants mcgee 1
News Armadillos may be invading Indiana (Jun '09) Oct '13 tom 5
News Ferdinand Town Council asks for Police Chief's ... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Alan Reece 1
News Frisbee golf could be coming to Dubois Co. (Feb '12) Feb '12 Nate 1
News French Lick Teen Dies In Hunting Accident (Nov '11) Nov '11 A Mom 1
News Debating political debates (Sep '10) Sep '10 anomous 1
More from around the web