Roseburg prepares for Blast anniversary

Roseburg prepares for Blast anniversary

There are 1 comment on the KMTR Eugene story from Jul 20, 2009, titled Roseburg prepares for Blast anniversary. In it, KMTR Eugene reports that:

The Douglas County Library and Douglas County Museum are planning 50-year anniversary events, commemorating the Roseburg "blast" that occurred August 7, 1959.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KMTR Eugene.

john cox

Denison, TX

#1 Jul 20, 2009
i was born in roseburg in 1946, and grew up there..we lived on w brown and when the blast went off, it knocked me out of bed..i ran to my parents bedroom and we saw the axle of the truck go above mt nebo.( we thought it was the axle, but i guess it could have been about anything)...my grandfather owned the rooming house next to penneys on jackson street..we went up there to see if they needed any help...jackson st looked like it was paved in glass..glen gosline, who had a jewelry store next to penneys, was shoveling glass and jewelry back into his store..we took my grandparents home with us..i was a student at central jr high, which was only two blocks away...we finished that year going half days sharing the other jr high school...i remember the story going nationwide, and a story in either life magazine, or the saturday evening post, i cant remember which...it really was a tragedy, and there were lots of heroes...i remember seeing firefighters shooting water on the big propane tanks that were acroos the street from the building...in fact when we first heard the explosion, my dad thought it was the propane tanks that blew.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Douglas County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Winston-Dillard Melon Festival "Melon Mania" pr... Sep '17 nolan 1
News Beware of Home Rule Charter Sep '17 nolan 1
News 'Extreme Environmentalists' sign outside commis... Sep '17 nolan 1
News Home Rule supporters clash with DA, sheriff (Jun '17) Jun '17 Boaty McBoatface 1
News Smart Energy: Stabilize energy costs with solar... (May '16) Aug '16 Catherine Green 2
News Alfa Leisure to Build Luxury Motorhomes & 5th W... (May '08) Apr '16 Steve Logan 84
News Roseburg man sentenced to 5 years for armed res... (Oct '13) Dec '15 zxlhippy 3
More from around the web