County looks to trade skills for tax bills with seniors

Feb 18, 2008 Full story: Post and Courier

Charleston County might start letting seniors work off their local tax bills. The county plans to test a pilot program modeled after an undertaking in Aiken County. via Post and Courier

Full Story
TCB

United States

#1 Feb 18, 2008
How magnanamus of Charleston county to "let" their seniors pay off their tax bill by paying slave-wages to dignified people who worked hard all their lives only to be burdened by more taxes. Something really stinks with our system. It's bad enough getting older with its reduction in health and abilities, but to be taxed at all after a lifetime of contributions to the 'system' is a disgrace.
Instead of creating a bureaucratic boondoggle which actually has (hidden?) costs to implement, why not just give all seniors a damn tax break! No wasted manpower teaching old folks how to use the electric stapler or copy machine etc. If you want to give seniors who CHOOSE to work a leg-up, hire them as equals and pay them a good wage. If this wasn't so pitiful an attempt at creating a feel-good perception that the the county is doing something good for seniors, it would be laughable. I'd love to be the bean-counter on this one and see how much this is going to COST all the other taxpayers. I say fagetaboutit, same for Aiken. Its a dumb and insulting idea.
SkOkEn

United States

#2 Mar 27, 2008
Yet another milestone for our backward S.C. government, Seniors should not be paying taxes unless business related.
Speaking of which, property taxes should go anyway...why
should I pay a tax on something that is supposed to be
mine in the first place. Add a penny to sales tax so
that everyone shares in the burden...not just those of
us that own property.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dorchester County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Aiken company submits low bid to build Dorchest... Jul '14 Malik 1
Legal volley in Episcopal lawsuit continues wit... Jun '14 RevKen 3
Library makes case for more funds Jun '14 Taxpayer 1
SC inmates complain about food (Oct '11) Nov '13 retarded in there 9
Dorchester County has plan for Ashley River par... (Jul '13) Jul '13 docjon 1
Tased 80-year-old normally a 'sweet' woman: nei... (Jun '12) Jun '13 Maxine stokes 3
Hayes receives Chairman's Award (May '13) May '13 Richard Hayes 1
•••

Dorchester County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••