O&G News: Rembering the Fallen

O&G News: Rembering the Fallen

Posted in the Doddridge County Forum

plaguey

Hyattsville, MD

#1 Jun 7, 2012
We are repeatedly told by O&G industry officials that, we don't have to worry about our water. We are told that, steps are taken to make sure nothing will ever happen to allow any contamination of our wells or of the water table.

The facts and history seem to disagree. Given yesterday's Antero "incident", I feel this is the proper time to remember someone who was a past victim (IMO) of what the industry insists "can never happen".

Mr. Stiles you are gone, but not forgotten.

Source: http://www.frackcheckwv.net/2012/01/30/death-...

Death of a Fractivist
by Dee Fulton on January 30, 2012

I read about the death of Carl Stiles yesterday. Thank you, Dory Hippauf, for sharing that very sad link on the FrackCheckWV Facebook wall. Hereís the link. Iíve added this tragic tale to The Human Story page (under the Impacts tab) on this website along with the other stories that are coming out in a steady stream from all the states where fracking occurs. How many stories are we not hearing about because gas companies are paying for the silence of their victims with cash settlements including confidentiality agreements?

In a nutshell, fracking occurred near the home of Carl and his wife, Judy, of Bradford County, PA. The household water supply in the Stiles home was contaminated with heavy metals and radioactive elements. Carl and Judy drank and showered in the toxic water and were exposed to high levels of radioactivity in their home before testing related to their illnesses (severe abdominal pain, muscle tremors, dizziness, racing heart)led to of the finding of contaminated water. Both were told by a physician that they would likely die within 2 years due to leukemia related to their exposure to toxic compounds. The radioactivity level in their home was almost 7 times the EPA standard limit. The Stiles were forced to abandon their home and all the possessions in it. Carl died of intestinal cancer on January 26, 2012.

Please go read the rest of this post @:
http://www.frackcheckwv.net/2012/01/30/death-...
plaguey

Hyattsville, MD

#2 Jun 7, 2012
Make that "remembering" the fallen.

Stupid typo....Grrr!
COB

Ardsley, NY

#3 Jun 7, 2012
lol on the typo, I absolutly hate it when I do stuff like that, especially when it's really important like this is.

God bless and keep this poor man's family.

Plaguey, I've heard you say it many times, and I agree. The people running this industry are completely evil. The don't seem to care about anything but money. It truly is a sin.
Amy

Ardsley, NY

#4 Jun 7, 2012
The things that are happening with all this drilling are really scary.

Was anyone ever arrested and charged in this guys death?
Marcellus Researcher

United States

#5 Jun 7, 2012
I had seen that article above around the time it was first released.

No one was charged with anything, because the usual response from the industry is "prove it was us." So no doubt involved in lengthy, lengthy, complicated lititgation. And these companies have a war chest of funds and lawyer on staff to fight this stuff far longer and greater than an individual's resources.

And when there are bonafide cases of harm to people and their land,water, etc... the companies settle out of court with gag orders. Just the cost of doing business for them. So the info never gets truly out there in the public arena.

On a side note, I was recently told that there is a clinic somewhere in WV ... kept very secret. It is a place that the drilling companies use to treat their workers who have exposure illnesses. And in order for them to be treated, they have to sign a disclosure statement that they will not go to any other facility nor tell about their health issues.

Also, there are some concerned doctors around who are working with the newly formed clinic in southwestern PA that was set up to treat people living in that heavily fracked area who are now showing up with unexplained illnesses and symptoms...strange rashes and skin lesions, respiratory, intestinal, neurological, etc.

Check out these links:

http://www.environmentalhealthproject.org

/http://www.loe.org/shows/segm ents.html?programID=12-P13-000 12&segmentID=3

This is an unregulated industry out of control who are slowly poisoning us. They know it and don't care.
Watching

United States

#6 Jun 7, 2012
Not a well, but these people keep trying to cross your property and not get caught. Two tried again this morning and I turned them around.
If that isn't disrespect and cheating, I don't know what is. We haven't signed with the pipeline company yet.
plaguey

Hyattsville, MD

#7 Jun 8, 2012
Watching wrote:
Not a well, but these people keep trying to cross your property and not get caught. Two tried again this morning and I turned them around.
If that isn't disrespect and cheating, I don't know what is. We haven't signed with the pipeline company yet.
In my mind, they're all part of the same industry.

In my opinion, you simply must understand who and what it is you are dealing with. Knowing that you are dealing with a snake before interacting with them is key.

Again, in my opinion: 3 things to understand. Once you do, you can depend on and predict most every action and reaction they have in their bag of underhanded tricks.

(In my opinion) 1)Understand that, THEY LIE! In my opinion, every word out of their mouth is either a half truth or an out right bald faced lie.

(In my opinion) 2)No matter what they tell you (remember #1) They care about absolutely nothing but money. They've sold their souls for it. They don't care about your rights, your well being, your family, your property or anything else that is actually important to human beings still in possession of their immortal soul.

(In my opinion) 3) The only successful strategy we can have is eternal vigilance. Using all legal means available to keep them off our property, out of our lives and doing us no harm.

Hire an attorney!! Even if you aren't using that attorney right now. Have a relationship with one already set up. So, all you need to do is pick up the phone and set them to work on your behalf.

Also, call the police EACH AND EVERY TIME they trespass or do any of the hundreds of other things they do (In my opinion) that they should not.

Take pictures, record your contacts with them. DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT! Keep a journal with names, places, times, names of witnesses and anything else you can possibly document. Such as, license plate numbers, personal descriptions Etc. that can help identify individual offenders. Again, take pictures, record audio, take video, keep a journal!

Last, and above all, KEEP YOUR COOL, no matter how belligerent they become,(this, IMO, is another part of their game) stay on the correct side of the law. Let the laws they hide behind work against them for a change.

One last suggestion, NETWORK with other land owners. Here's a good place to start. http://www.wvhostfarms.org/
Old Guy

United States

#8 Jun 8, 2012
Good advice from plaguey. There are some people who are volunteering to get us some help here in WV in the form of journalists, researchers, public policy people, etc. coming from outside the state. Cause it's for damn sure that our DEP and legislature are not helping the citizens they are supposed to represent.
Need Info

United States

#9 Aug 4, 2012
I need info about the metering stations installed at the Marcellus well sites. Do they emit toxins and are they loud, do they produce a loud noise when working? Do they run constantly? Thanks for the info.
Seriously

Saint Albans, WV

#10 Aug 5, 2012
All meter stations do is measure the gas there are no toxins released and theyake no noice. You might hear the gas flow through them if you are within ten feet. Why do people get so excited about the gas industries. I know it is sad that some of the things happen there have been very few cases and even fewer actually related to the indusrtry but don't you like being able to get in your car and drive don't you like keep you house heated and don't you like to eat a hot meal bi-products are used in more than that every day things that people use and some can't live with out it isn't only here in doddridge cnty wv it is happening it is all over the us be thankful they are here so that people can get jobs and poor farmer John can buy some new farm equipment. I am a doddridge resident and was raised here all my life and yes I work in the oil and gas industries but stop an think I guarantee everybody knows someone that works in the industry. So why bash it so bad it is a big economy help in the cnty from permit fees to more people at the dinner to eat I mean stop and think before you deside you are dead set against it and another thing stop and think if you where offerd a big lease agreement woudnt you take it I would say over half of the people complaining about the oil and gas industry would sign an agreement.
Marcellus Researcher

United States

#11 Aug 5, 2012
Dear Seriously,

It is without question that many people in Doddridge work for the o&g industry and always have. But the current Marcellus drilling frenzy brings with it MANY adverse side effects that did NOT exist with conventional drilling. Do your homework. This type of fracking -- slick water, high volume, horizontal drilling into the shale 7000 ft below and then horizontally for thousands more feet is no longer something that affects only the landowner who has the well on his property.

This sh*t affects a whole community!!!! And to say that this is going to make everything wonderful ...with all of us gettng cheaper gas is b*llsh*t. The gas is being sold to China, and plenty of research articles are published by economists who study energy policies and economics and they say it is only of benefit to the giant multi-national companies.

West Virginia has what they want.... trillions of cubic ft of natural gas underneath that marcellus shale that they want to extract and ship to China. They will come, tear up our farms, pay us peanuts for the devastation and be long gone before the toxic chemicals start to leach out from compromised well casings and mishaps, pipeline explosions, etc. And we will be left with an uninhabitable county, declining property values and more than likely, water contamination and health issues.

If your DEP and legislature placed stricter regulations on the industry and higher fees for them to get to our gas, then we'd have money for better schools, SUSTAINABLE jobs, and a better quality of life.

WV is the second richest state in the U.S. when it comes to being rich in coal, lumber, oil, and gas. And yet we are just about at the bottom of the list for health and prosperity. Why is that?
When they've gotten all their gas and left us with the aftermath.... we'll still be a welfare state. And it's because the dumb hicks running it are too stupid, and /or corrupt to see what they have within their reach to do better for us.

Go ahead and praise all the TEMPORARY well worker jobs. But when cousin Jethro develops silicosis from working on fracking jobs, or someone gets injured or killed on a rig accident, just remember...in the industry's eyes they are simply "collateral damage" resulting from their corporate greed.

This industry is out of control and unregulated. And they are preying on the good people of Doddridge county...whom they believe are just a bunch of dumb hicks who don't know anything about marcellus drilling. and the controversy that is associated with it. This isn't just another typical boom or bust scenario. THIS is different. And folks in this county haven't a clue what's in store for us!
Farmer John

United States

#12 Aug 6, 2012
Amen Marcellus Researcher!!! Amen...

The amount of self serving rhetoric such as this B.S. from "Seriously" is absolutely astounding!

This person is in essence telling us that it's okay that we're being hurt. It's okay that our land and water are being trashed, it's okay that our property's value is being ruined. Why? Because he's got a TEMPORARY low paying job.

Gosh, using that logic I guess WWII concentration camps were okay with him/her also? Because, they created jobs for guards and people to work the ovens! A shocking statement I realize, but this is how stupid this argument is!

It absolutely is NOT okay to destroy peoples property, health and lives to make money!†Period.

Moron!!!!
plaguey

Hyattsville, MD

#13 Aug 6, 2012
Seriously wrote:
All meter stations do is measure the gas there are no toxins released and theyake no noice. You might hear the gas flow through them if you are within ten feet. Why do people get so excited about the gas industries. I know it is sad that some of the things happen there have been very few cases and even fewer actually related to the indusrtry but don't you like being able to get in your car and drive don't you like keep you house heated and don't you like to eat a hot meal bi-products are used in more than that every day things that people use and some can't live with out it isn't only here in doddridge cnty wv it is happening it is all over the us be thankful they are here so that people can get jobs and poor farmer John can buy some new farm equipment. I am a doddridge resident and was raised here all my life and yes I work in the oil and gas industries but stop an think I guarantee everybody knows someone that works in the industry. So why bash it so bad it is a big economy help in the cnty from permit fees to more people at the dinner to eat I mean stop and think before you deside you are dead set against it and another thing stop and think if you where offerd a big lease agreement woudnt you take it I would say over half of the people complaining about the oil and gas industry would sign an agreement.
Seeing that you posted this in a thread remembering someone who was allegedly killed by this industry, I take it you are saying what happened is OK with you, because you have a job?

Thank you so much for helping us make our point.
I beg to differ

United States

#14 Aug 6, 2012
One poster said that a meter station can only be heard 10 feet away. That is not true. There is one in our area that we can hear it acres away and it is very loud. The noise goes on for hours and then there is a release that is also very loud and lasts for a long time. It hurts our ears if we are within 1000 feet of it. Please give the poster asking questions the correct info. regarding meter stations. The ten feet answer is not correct at all!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Doddridge County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Narcissistic Commissioner Out of Control (Mar '15) May 9 Stompweed 39
Question about topix? May 9 Brenda 1
old wives tales (Mar '10) May 3 JJS101021 15
Mitch Lucas contractor Apr '17 Cray Porter 1
choc labs in doddridge county (Oct '09) Apr '17 Susan Rich 15
News Doddridge man arrested for Calhoun Double Murder (Jul '09) Mar '17 Rest_peacefully_M... 13
Special Levy March 4th Mar '17 Stompweed 3
More from around the web