eqt lawsuit against doddridge

Posted in the Doddridge County Forum

alexis drazen

Harrisville, WV

#1 Dec 15, 2012
Well who woulda thunkit. The surface owners won that lawsuit. Great news for all involved. Wouldn't worry about the county getting stuck with damages either. Most of the money eqt spent it had too regardless as part of the well site plannings and other permits Not like it spent money relying on the permit. Eqt spent the money prior to getting the permit that got taken away. Doddridge probably should refund the $25 permit fee though. Course eqt will appeal to the supreme court so its not all the way over yet. Cool to see a little David versus Goliath victory even if its only temporary
Marcellus Researcher

United States

#2 Dec 15, 2012
Yes, indeed..in my opinion also, they'd be hardpressed to be able to make a legitimate case for their so called "damages." LOL

For those who don't know it, EQT used the services of Navitus Engineering when they submitted their application for the permit back in Nov. 2011.

Navitus was NOT even certified to do engineering i WV until April 2012!!! LOL Then the EQT lawyers are also claiming loss of revenue because of the delays???!!!! Ha ! The infrastructure (i.e. pipeline) to move the gas hasn't even been done yet!! LOL

In my opinion, this is a corporate brute trying to bully by a "hick" county ...or so they thought. Citizens are willing to stand up to their tactics more and more. I foresee eventually some of these suits are going to make it to the supreme court (not WV ...the U.S. Supreme court over the constitutionality of mineral rights trumping surface rights when it comes to the "unconventional drilling" being done today.

EQT will never go away quietly, in my opinion. That would be a sign of weakness to them. So hold onto your hat...they won't let this go and it ain't over yet.

Which is why we must continue to get this crap out in the media (OUTSIDE THE STATE) for all to see.

And if I were Huff, I'd slap a counter suit on them to recover her legal fees and damages, as well as anxiety and duress they caused her. And have the attorney general investigate EQT's use of an engineering firm not certified by the state at the time to serve in WV when they issued that floodplain study for EQT. An investigation should be conducted to look closely at how EQT went about obtaining that permit and whether the info they resented to Jerry Evans was accurate. Two other engineering firms (independent ones, not one working for the industry) felt otherwise about their report submitted.

In light of that background info which will come out in the open, this should make any claim they have for damages a joke.

Doddridge and Harrison county is the "sweet spot" paydirt for the industry because we are in the wet shale zone in the Marcellus. So, they won't back down easily, but landowners like Huff can do a lot to get others on board about what's being done to us and the risk there is when drilling in flood plains and wetlands.

The Huff's never said they didn't have a right to drill on the 640 acres, but elsewhere on it wasn't good enough for EQT. They were set on her meadow at any costs. To back down would be a sign of weakness. Hope she'll counter sue them when stuff really gets out in the open about how things went down. Just my opinion.

Citizens need to be proactive and demand this stuff be scrutinized. You'd be surprised if you knew some of the places that have been drilled that never should have been!
headswillroll

Harrisville, WV

#3 Dec 15, 2012
Read me an article where eqt said they didn't think they needed a permit to drill in a flood plane. well boy if them suits in Pennsylvania think they don't need themselves a permit and they can do what they wany who sez landowners have to honor them leases our granpappys signed way back when. What'd be good for the goose be good for the gander
Marcellus Researcher

United States

#4 Dec 16, 2012
Inevitably, the legal firms for both sides will have a picnic battling this out. But something needs to be done to bring this to a head! Our legislature (most are big mineral holders) have failed us. The WV DEP get's it's marching orders from the governor. Well, what does THAT tell ya?

Bottom line is, WV has once again been classified as "collateral damage" in this latest round of drilling frenzy. But sadly, it ain't the same consequences as before (with only temporary jobs and short-lived economic boom)

This time it will leave us with contaminated aquifers, homes and farms that people can't sell. And worse yet, a bunch of local young men who are rig workers who suddenly develop respiratory issues and/or cancer. Already there are starting to surface some very unique health issues among young me. Skin rashes, groin pain, testicular issues including cancer.

And...the one thing they all have in common is they work or worked on drill sites handling fracking fluid and frack sand. Public health offcials are already taking notice.
dave

San Jose, CA

#5 Dec 19, 2012
huffs attorney is doing this pro bono just for the record
LmaO

Weston, WV

#6 Dec 19, 2012
Huff's Attorney is a family member

and Marcellus --- Did you not sign a statement when you purchased your farm saying the attorney did not guarantee title ??? Were you NOT made aware by the realtor that minerals would not pass with your surface??? Why did you believe the price was so low????(because it was in backwoods WV????)

Turn off you lights Marcellus -- Disconnect from your FREE gas ---- QUIT driving your car and using ANY type od oil and gas products and MAYBE people will begin to take your delightful rants seriously!
Well well

Washington, DC

#7 Dec 19, 2012
LmaO wrote:
Huff's Attorney is a family member
and Marcellus --- Did you not sign a statement when you purchased your farm saying the attorney did not guarantee title ??? Were you NOT made aware by the realtor that minerals would not pass with your surface??? Why did you believe the price was so low????(because it was in backwoods WV????)
Turn off you lights Marcellus -- Disconnect from your FREE gas ---- QUIT driving your car and using ANY type od oil and gas products and MAYBE people will begin to take your delightful rants seriously!
A little review from ethics 101:
Profit is NOT an acceptable excuse for doing harm to others. Period end of story!

It is very possible to access this resource without doing harm. When you start doing that, then you can give the rest of us an ethics lecture.

BTW, your argument reminds me of something a grade school debate team would come up with. You are saying, that because the players in this run on the Marcellus shale have poor ethics and we've dared to take issue with that fact, we should all shut off our gas and drop out of society? Did I get that right?

That is plain'ol dumb!

Here's a better idea, clean up your act and be good corporate citizens. Then no one will have a problem with you.
Pearls before swine

United States

#8 Dec 19, 2012
LmaO wrote:
Huff's Attorney is a family member
and Marcellus --- Did you not sign a statement when you purchased your farm saying the attorney did not guarantee title ??? Were you NOT made aware by the realtor that minerals would not pass with your surface??? Why did you believe the price was so low????(because it was in backwoods WV????)
Turn off you lights Marcellus -- Disconnect from your FREE gas ---- QUIT driving your car and using ANY type od oil and gas products and MAYBE people will begin to take your delightful rants seriously!
One more time for the SLOW GROUP. No one knew or could have known how destructive Marcellus drilling is. Relax and get real nobody is going to strip you of your mineral rights.
I know this is hard for you but try to understand. This drilling does not just affect the individual land owner. It disrupts whole communities. Why are these things so hard for you to understand?
This might be pushing it, but I doubt that even you would want one of these pads next to your house. Once again, as I said, NO ONE outside the industry knew what Marcellus drilling entailed.
How much of their property should a surface owner have to give up to mineral rights 20%, 50%, 100%? If a new method is found to remove minerals should companies be able to destroy farms and properties in their entirety? When would you say enough is enough?
Lastly. From your post there seems to be a strange hostility towards people who have moved to Doddridge Co. Funny thing is they are the ones who love the Doddridge as the counry now is. If YOU don't like the "backwoods" maybe you are the one who should move to a more industrialized area. Then maybe, just maybe, you will discover what you are advocating throwing away.

land owner

United States

#9 Dec 19, 2012
Agree with you- well well. a real nut case. This person seems to think it's our fault that the idustry has changed methods to be something that was never before done like we should of known better or known it was coming. and then saying that wv land is so low because of not gettin mineral with the purchase is bullcrap. real estate here is lower than other states because of lack of opportunity jobs and up to date medical facilities and big city conveniences that drive land prices up because of demand for these things. Totally clueless person to sugest that we should have knew ahead of time that this oil and gas situation was going to turn out like it did. if it isn't someone from the business it sure sounds like a person profitting from it or just an idiot
Tammi

United States

#10 Dec 20, 2012
It is a well known fact the oil and gas industry monitors this forum! Sometimes they just can' take it and have to throw out really stupid crap. LOL
jagwire88

Pennsboro, WV

#11 Dec 20, 2012
Yes they do and then some,they have personal all over this town to see whats what and whos who !!
Quiet Observer

United States

#12 Dec 20, 2012
I've no doubt they have their private detectives on payroll to try to dig up dirt on known troublemakers for them. LOL Probably secretly doing background checks on known "fracktivists" who are really just concerned citizens trying to look out for themselves, their neighbors, and communities to make sure we don't get trashed by their drilling and end up with toxic land, streams and health issues.

So who give's a crap if they check up on people who are just trying to get the real truth out about how different and potentially harmful Marcellus drilling is compared to conventional drilling.

And these companies' own careless drilling operations and their bully-boy tactics against landowners sure don't help them in the public opinion arena. LOL

Though gee, I still have that cool L.E.D. light-up yo-yo, with the EQT logo on it that I got from attending that "propaganda" community meeting at the park a while back. Maybe I should give it to Ms. Huff, so she'll feel better about them. LOL
hmmmmm

United States

#13 Dec 20, 2012
Tammi wrote:
It is a well known fact the oil and gas industry monitors this forum! Sometimes they just can' take it and have to throw out really stupid crap. LOL
Sure sounds like this post of yours is a way for you to backpeddle and give appearance that it was the industry people themselves who were posting as LmaO and not an industry sympathyzer. Agree with what the other posters shot back at ya.

"Pearls Before Swine" poses a very good question --- How much surface land is a mineral owner entitled to use of someones farm in to "reasonbly access" their right to their minerals before you'll stop being the industry's biggest supporter? 50% of your surface, 100%? After all the surface owner should have known it was coming before they bought, in your eyes.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
dave

United States

#14 Dec 20, 2012
I want an eqt LED yo-yo. Name your price.
Quiet Observer

United States

#15 Dec 21, 2012
dave wrote:
I want an eqt LED yo-yo. Name your price.
LOL .... hey, I also have an EQT sunscreen stick pen, an EQT tote bag, and some other goodies. Antero doesn't give out goodies, it seems, because they won't meet with landowners. LOL

Consider the EQT yo-yo yours. Will make a great paperweight on a busy desk and the owner can give it a few whirls now and then when giving their eyes a break from paperwork. Ha!
Quiet Observer

United States

#16 Dec 21, 2012
OH wow... and my other family members just told me they have other EQT trinkets they got that day at the communty P.R. meeting....including a bottle of hand sanitizer and another one was a cool L.E.D. blinking light thing from them-- This one's a clip-on L.E.D. flasher with the EQT logo on it.

Something you could clip on your bicycle at night or your belt loop to flash while jogging, so the fracking trucks don't accidently run over you down on the road. LOL

Or maybe this things some sort of blinking homing beacon to lead you to the well pads? ha!

Seriously though, these companies have a major PR problem if they think that bestowing us dumb hick landowners with trinkets (while they plow over our meadows and trees) will be sufficient consolation prizes to keep us happy and shut us up.

If only they spent some of their billions and billions in corporate profits and used some to treat surface owners with a little respect, dignity, and adequate compensation while they exercise their "reasonable access" to their minerals below us.'cause it ain't the reasonable access that was understood at the time, back when some of these old leases were negotiated!
lemon

Fairmont, WV

#17 Dec 21, 2012
think of it as the updated version of $24 worth beads the natives got for new york
dave

Coronado, CA

#18 Dec 21, 2012
Quiet Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL .... hey, I also have an EQT sunscreen stick pen, an EQT tote bag, and some other goodies. Antero doesn't give out goodies, it seems, because they won't meet with landowners. LOL
Consider the EQT yo-yo yours. Will make a great paperweight on a busy desk and the owner can give it a few whirls now and then when giving their eyes a break from paperwork. Ha!
Omg Christmas came early this year. Tytyty. Btw - I will try not to yo-yo an eye out (have to be careful as i only have one good eye left after that trial).
dave

Coronado, CA

#19 Dec 21, 2012
lemon wrote:
think of it as the updated version of $24 worth beads the natives got for new york
Lol
Jim

Newburg, PA

#20 Jan 25, 2013
Where is the pipeline going just south of Pennsbore at route 74?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Doddridge County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
DCEMS to the RESCUE 19 hr voter 4
Rt 23 Teacher under investigation? Mon voter 4
The Harold Rag (Jun '14) Sun DC Astute 81
Doddridge County Commission Feb 26 EYES wide OPEN 9
Doddridge County Commission Meeting 2 17 2015 Feb 24 lemon 12
The Doddridge Independent Feb 24 lemon 3
DCEMS wrecked another one Feb 22 DC Astute 52
More from around the web