Doddridge County Ambulance Authority Gives EMS 30-Day Notice

Sep 30, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WBOY-TV

Doddridge County's current emergency services debate is so heated that neither side will go on camera.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of23
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Wolfpack

Pennsboro, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2010

Judged:

How can this be? It's got to be free because there is no budget and therefore free. Right?
Hey

Pennsboro, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2010

Did you expect anything else?
Local Yokel

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2010

Donnie Lindsey is a Brodgeport Professional Firefighters Local 3692
Union President
Residence; Bridgeport, West Virginia
Employers; Fire Fighter/Paramedic and the Union

I am not familiar with Union policy but can he come to work for Doddridge County and not be a Union Member? Has the Commission ever mentioned Union? Does that explain the wage plus benefits and perks(car, mileage)for him? Will the other hires be Union also? They sure won't be volunteer, just how much wage will they make? If they have to sit and wait for a call but they don't get one, we have to pay them anyway...won't take long to spend alot of money. Then when that substation closes, the Commission has the power to use the access money for any station they want. Read it, I hope I am wrong..It is the DCAA Official website.
Quiet Observer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2010

Local Yokel,

Interesting questions you raise about the union slant.

Now,regarding the DCAA hires... I believe that drivers get $9 an hr, emts $11, and medics $13. Plus benefits. It may be higher, but let's just assume these numbers for the pupose of estimating the labor costs....

3 vehicles will be staffed 12 hrs every day and each needs a driver and an emt or medic. That's 6 county ems employees to man 3 vehicles for 12 hours of the day. 4 employees to man 2 vehicles the other 12 hours of the day (overnight, I presume).

So...labor costs are $20 per hr per vehicle ...$9 driver and $11 if emt instead of paramedic) times 3 vehicles, for 12 hours of each and every day! The other 12 hrs in the day only two vehicles are manned.

Thus, we have $60 salary per hr for manning 3 vehicles 12 hours of the day and $40 salary per hr to man two vehicles for the other 12 hrs of the other 12 hrs in the day.($60 x 12 =$720) plus ($40 x 12 hr =$480)

That's $1200 dollars a day in salaries folks !$1200 a day salary expense times 365 days per year equals $438,000 per year of tax payer money to make payroll for these new dcaa county employees.

But let's not forget that as county employees, there is also the expense of social security taxes that need to be paid out for them, workman's comp insurance premiums, employee benefits such as medical insurance, etc. These expenses usually represent at least another 30% of the actual hourly pay.(low estimate) So $438,000 salary expense plus the 30 percent additional costs of employees adds at least $131,400 to the salary cost!

Oh, and lets not forget Donnie's salary $42,000 and the 30% for his bennies, soc. sec. workman comp insurance, etc... So he costs us $42,000 plus the additional 30%(12,600)

Add it up folks ... and this is a conservative estimate ...$438,000 +$131,400 +$42,000 +$12,600 equals a whopping $624,000 PER YEAR in DCAA salaries and benefits alone !!!! AT LEAST !!!!!

And all that money just to handle between 30-40 actual 911 calls a month.

Plus let's not forget the cost of equipment maintenace, fuel, medical supplies, building, taxes, etc. Whatever costs they may be... who the hell knows? A budget forecast was never done ahead of time. lol The county commissioners ushered this fiasco in without even doing a preliminary analysis of the costs and feasability of having a government squad.(Though I did hear that they were advised that the county couldn't afford it, but they did it anyway!)

SO... HOW DO YOU LIKE THE DCAA now? Well, we know Hate Monger, Miss A, Jack Adams, Lewis Swann, and certain other folks thought it was a great thing to do to us !
TELL IT LIKE IT IS

Birchleaf, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

They are going to say that the runs will pay for this --- The cost of the runs have already been covered by my tax dollars -- why should I or my insurance be billed????

Further --- HAS THE RUNS BEEN PAYING FOR THE COST AT THE DCEMS IN FULL???? Remember they ONLY kept ONE crew 24/7 ---

I believe they will find that 30 to 40 runs will cover the cost one crew 18 hrs per day and we will foot the rest of the bill.
GROW UP

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

No matter how you people look at it, you are all putting a price on lives. DCAA from what I understand will be staffing with a Medic 24-7 which I constantly hear DCEMS having to call for ALS. And I am sure the agencies that asst. them charge DCEMS. So then wouldn't that mean taking money away from the county. I don't know how often I see DCEMS with units with lights not working, and trucks not to mention other mechanical issues. I live right down the street from there station and they are always carrying on like a bunch of imature kids. If they sit outside of the building and act like they do I wouldn't want to see them working on my family. I friend of mines mother the other day was sick and they needed a medic and they called for one out of Clarksburg instead of calling for one that was alot closer. And from what I heard there was another ambulace from DCAA nearby and they didn't even call for them. This putting pride above Pt. care is going to cost lives. It's time they put patients lives as a priorty instead of their pride. And understand they made their bed and now they need to deal with it. They had a chance to better themselves but chose to be stubborn and pigheaded and not to place nice. Get with the times. DCEMS could of had the world but decided to choose a slice of Shoe Fly Pie. And lets get real about that Flyer they sent out. I got mine and right into the GARBAGE it went. Maturity levels people. I for 1 wish it could have all worked out for them since they have been here for so long but because they don't want to play well with others they lost.
Wolfpack

Pennsboro, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

GROW UP wrote:
No matter how you people look at it, you are all putting a price on lives. DCAA from what I understand will be staffing with a Medic 24-7 which I constantly hear DCEMS having to call for ALS. And I am sure the agencies that asst. them charge DCEMS. So then wouldn't that mean taking money away from the county. I don't know how often I see DCEMS with units with lights not working, and trucks not to mention other mechanical issues. I live right down the street from there station and they are always carrying on like a bunch of imature kids. If they sit outside of the building and act like they do I wouldn't want to see them working on my family. I friend of mines mother the other day was sick and they needed a medic and they called for one out of Clarksburg instead of calling for one that was alot closer. And from what I heard there was another ambulace from DCAA nearby and they didn't even call for them. This putting pride above Pt. care is going to cost lives. It's time they put patients lives as a priorty instead of their pride. And understand they made their bed and now they need to deal with it. They had a chance to better themselves but chose to be stubborn and pigheaded and not to place nice. Get with the times. DCEMS could of had the world but decided to choose a slice of Shoe Fly Pie. And lets get real about that Flyer they sent out. I got mine and right into the GARBAGE it went. Maturity levels people. I for 1 wish it could have all worked out for them since they have been here for so long but because they don't want to play well with others they lost.
DCEMS could NEVER have had the world. They were headed for the shaft just as soon an Ms. A was elected - she chose them as her "subject" to go on to bigger and better political things, per conventional political wisdom. DCAA ambulances will be called starting on Oct 31, per their own request. I would be willing to bet you don't pay much in the way of taxes, but understand this - the taxes that are paid in are going the way of the wind, listen for the huge sucking sound as they go down the DCAA tube.
Local Yokel

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Anyway, you look at this there is a price put on lives. If you are lucky; you live down the street from the squad. You live in a populated area and you are going to have ambulance service. However, what about the people that live off the beaten path and pay taxes for this. If they do not use the service as much as the commission decides is necessary to keep it open, the commission has the authority to close any substation and put the money where the Commission wants. Now the people that are blessed with good health....they don't have Emergency service but they are still going to pay the taxes to keep the service in operation and if they need service, they are going to wait for it to get from wherever the Commission decided to put the money. I don't know about how the DCEMS plays but the Commission sure doesn't play fair.
county citizen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Grow Up you haven't a true clue of all that has transpired over the years and lately. The DCAA says the DCEMS is 2nd due, but they have never sent them a request. They are assumming this. And obviously you were in the vehicle called to assistance.
I have a scannner and heard them stand you down. Guess that's the term. You and central never acknowleged and kept on going.
Maybe yes DCEMS could have had more, but not the way in which the co. com. handled the situation. I attended some of those co.com . meetings and saw the hostility from Ms. Angie. Especially the night
she played the tape in an open meeting. NOW THAT WAS UNPROFESSIONAL if I ever saw it.
TELL IT LIKE IT IS

Birchleaf, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Hey Grow Up --- Have the family to file a complaint and the investigation will find that the AA didn't OFFER to assist until AFTER the DCEMS had bypassed them and would you have wanted the Squad to TURN AROUND and GO BACK to pick the medic up?
Hate Monger

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

How is it that most of the counties in this state run an AA and they don't seem to have all the problems you state there are going to be. Could be that they have citizens that care about ALL the people and are not just self serving as a few of you are. Those people are not worried about the loss of power, or everything being the way they want. I do not think that the commission had or has a vendeta against DCEMS. DCEMS has been negative and deceitful from the beginning. They are and were like spoiled kids that just want it their way. Ms Pratt is not the vile terrible person you make her out to be. I also was there along with many others the night the tape was played in the open meeting. It was NOT unprofessional, as the commissioner when you have a complaint and you are investigating that complaint, you ask questions....the simple question was were your people on duty that night and are you manned 24/7. DCEMS lied about that on SEVERAL occasions, saying they were, when the commission knew otherwise. They were given the chance to tell the truth MANY times. I remember when the tape was played the hush, then the commotion when the principals of DCEMS were cought....It has gone down hill from there. So get your history straight, remember the reasons. Some people have the intestinal fortitude to carry through. DCEMS had several years to make it right and work with the commission but has never done that. I applaud Ms Pratt and Shirley and Jerry for doing as they have and doing so at the risk of the fallout from you better than thou, selfish, noncareing soapbox speakers who don't have enough initiative to run for office and make a difference yourself. Or maybe you have and lost.
TELL IT LIKE IT IS

Birchleaf, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

You would applaud them ---- As you have been part of the problem ----
By the way --- more and more AA's are GOING UNDER due to LACK OF FUNDING --- 2 went down while the Commission was is discussions --- And MOST of them dis NOT set up a gov run service --- MOST of them are SUPERVISORY and have more then one EMS service in their county to watch over -----
As for the tape --- As I have said before --- That tape showed me that our right to privacy is void as far as the Commission is concerned and we never did hear WHY there wasn't 1st responders placed on the call and why 911 didn't have the radios on the right frequency.
By the way --- red lines mean misspelled words
County Citizen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Think of it this way; requesting tape copies is to be used for an internal investigation only. But did that or does matter now? The commmission only knew what you, CC, RT, RT, ES, etc. wanted them to know or think. When you placed you wonderful press
release you thought it would make a difference also, but to bad so sad. Intestinal fortitude comes from a desire to make themselves better not work to destroy.
You are as deceitful as Ms. Angie. So now let's see how long your DCAA will last at the expense it's costing the average taxpayer. But you as others think you know what's best. Get a life because Ms. Angie only has two more months to control unless'
Plaugher wins to be her puppet.
By the way, why didn't you run for office? NO, not me. Smarter than that.
Wonderful

Clarksburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

I think Ms. Pratt had full intentions of assuring the county receives appropriate emergency medical care. I think when Doddridge County EMS was sued for wrongful death for not responding on a 9-1-1 call while they had personnel in station, that those individuals should of lost there certification and the county commission should of started working on a solution to improving the county ambulance coverage then. Doddridge County Ambulance Authority is long overdue and Iím very glad to see that it will finally be operational by individuals with a clue and knowledge of how to run an ambulance squad. And for those that think that a county ran Ambulance Authority is a bad idea or that Ambulance Authorities around the state are closing down. Check out www.kceaa.org Kanawha County Emergency Ambulance Authority very large and successful. Do I think Doddridge County Ambulance Authority will be as big as them? No However I do feel they will use places like KCEAA as a role model to improve the quaility of care and life in Doddridge County.
OUTSIDER

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

I just got on this site as had heard so much about it and all the terrible things some have written, but I can tell you one thing Ms. Pratt had no intentions to do what was best. She even dislikes her own relatives and vice-versa. And if you think DC will ever have the money to run like KCEAA you are as clueless like some of the rest. You know as well as the others how underhanded and unethical she can be.No professionalism at all. When a person states that a county has nothing to offer and that is why she sent her children out of county for education. But she sure can take our tax dollars.
Quiet Observer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

GROW UP wrote:
You are confusing a personal vendetta against them with them not wanting to play well. Creating a fact-finding committee comprised of folks who have previous bias and/or conflict of interest was a stupid move and it put DCEMS on the defense, no doubt.

In my opinion, it was a overly zealous county commissioner who started all this mess by wanting to turn this county into something it simply cannot afford..and that is a government squad! At least 800k in start up costs and a dozen or more county employees (most not even living in Doddridge) and costing at LEAST 700k or more a year in county salaries.

I'm sorry, but stating this fact is NOT putting a price on lives just because the cost factor is brought up. It's simple fiscal responsibility. The Co. Commission COULD have given a FRACTION of that amount of money to the DCEMS (to fix their lights and other mechanical issues that you mention.) Maybe fund them to add a few more squad vehicles, medics, and a substation.

But what we saw happen was that the commission cut off what minimal funding they gave to DCEMS in the first place ...AND they did it BEFORE they even had begun to set up a new squad, let alone have it up and running, fully equipped and licensed. THAT move seems to have "put a price on lives" (when they cut them out of the levy and tried to force them out of business) before there was even a new squad in place!

County leaders haven't a clue as to how to lead, promote civil communication, and bring folks together toward a common goal (quality EMS care) Instead those leaders just divided, created an atmosphere of hostility, and ushered in their personal agenda item.(government run squad.) Bottom line is ...WE CAN'T AFFORD IT!!!

They should have stopped short of replacing DCEMS and instead limited the Ambulance Authority's role to oversight and support which is what most folks in the county believed was happening and would have accepted as a good thing. Instead, they created an atmosphere which put DCEMS on the defense and it went downhill from there. Poor, poor leadership, in my opinion.

It is your choice to throw that EMS letter out. Just as it is other folks' choice to keep it and call them instead of 911. I think most folks are "mature" enough to make that decision themselves!
Quiet Observer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

GROW UP wrote:
You are confusing a personal vendetta against them with them not wanting to play well. Creating a fact-finding committee comprised of folks who have previous bias and/or conflict of interest was a stupid move and it put DCEMS on the defense, no doubt.

In my opinion, it was a overly zealous county commissioner who started all this mess by wanting to turn this county into something it simply cannot afford..and that is a government squad! At least 800k in start up costs and a dozen or more county employees (most not even living in Doddridge) and costing at LEAST 700k or more a year in county salaries.

I'm sorry, but stating this fact is NOT putting a price on lives just because the cost factor is brought up. It's simple fiscal responsibility. The Co. Commission COULD have given a FRACTION of that amount of money to the DCEMS (to fix their lights and other mechanical issues that you mention.) Maybe fund them to add a few more squad vehicles, medics, and a substation.

But what we saw happen was that the commission cut off what minimal funding they gave to DCEMS in the first place ...AND they did it BEFORE they even had begun to set up a new squad, let alone have it up and running, fully equipped and licensed. THAT move seems to have "put a price on lives" (when they cut them out of the levy and tried to force them out of business) before there was even a new squad in place!

County leaders haven't a clue as to how to lead, promote civil communication, and bring folks together toward a common goal (quality EMS care) Instead those leaders just divided, created an atmosphere of hostility, and ushered in their personal agenda item.(government run squad.) Bottom line is ...WE CAN'T AFFORD IT!!!

They should have stopped short of replacing DCEMS and instead limited the Ambulance Authority's role to oversight and support which is what most folks in the county believed was happening and would have accepted as a good thing. Instead, they created an atmosphere which put DCEMS on the defense and it went downhill from there. Poor, poor leadership, in my opinion.

It is your choice to throw that EMS letter out. Just as it is other folks' choice to keep it and call them instead of 911. I think most folks havethe "maturity level" to make that decision for themselves!
Quiet Observer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

county citizen wrote:
.....I attended some of those co.com . meetings and saw the hostility from Ms. Angie. Especially the night
she played the tape in an open meeting. NOW THAT WAS UNPROFESSIONAL if I ever saw it.....
She should have been thrown off the commission and prosecuted for that outrageous breach of privacy, and in my opinion she has continued to degrade herself way beyond that incident. Thank GOD we won't have to put up with it much longer! I can recognize vendettas and vindictiveness when I see it and apparently many others can too.
Quiet Observer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

Hate Monger wrote:
How is it that most of the counties in this state run an AA and they don't seem to have all the problems you state there are going to be. Could be that they have citizens that care about ALL the people and are not just self serving as a few of you are. Those people are not worried about the loss of power, or everything being the way they want. I do not think that the commission had or has a vendeta against DCEMS. DCEMS has been negative and deceitful from the beginning. They are and were like spoiled kids that just want it their way. Ms Pratt is not the vile terrible person you make her out to be. I also was there along with many others the night the tape was played in the open meeting. It was NOT unprofessional, as the commissioner when you have a complaint and you are investigating that complaint, you ask questions....the simple question was were your people on duty that night and are you manned 24/7. DCEMS lied about that on SEVERAL occasions, saying they were, when the commission knew otherwise. They were given the chance to tell the truth MANY times. I remember when the tape was played the hush, then the commotion when the principals of DCEMS were cought....It has gone down hill from there. So get your history straight, remember the reasons. Some people have the intestinal fortitude to carry through. DCEMS had several years to make it right and work with the commission but has never done that. I applaud Ms Pratt and Shirley and Jerry for doing as they have and doing so at the risk of the fallout from you better than thou, selfish, noncareing soapbox speakers who don't have enough initiative to run for office and make a difference yourself. Or maybe you have and lost.
Once again, Hate, you are ill-informed. Ms. Pratt COULD have played that tape in private .... executive session, just as a personnel issue... to preserve the privacy of those involved. Instead she marched in with the "goods" and in fact failed to mention that the call was never broadcast on ALL THREE transponders that evening as it should have been. So, DCEMS was made the scape goat when there were many other underlying factors that should have been investigated.

It's your choice to believe that Ms. Pratt is not the "vile and terrible person you make her out to be." Apparently that belief was not shared by the majority of folks in the May primary.
Local Yokel

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

Comparing DCAA with KCEAA is not a fair comparison. It would be like comparing Michael Jackson's royalty checks to his family to the royalty checks of Forrest Gump. I am not being a smart aleck about this, it is just the facts. Doddridge County doesn't have the tax base like Kanawha County. I haven't been following this blog very long, to be honest, come across it by accident. At first, I was put off by the bickering but after awhile, I came to understand what I think is the problem. Everyone on here wants what is best for Doddridge County but not everybody agrees on the method to fix things and they are frustrated. I have heard statements made by a Doddridge County Elite stating that some of the people in this debate are not really Doddridge County Citizens; they are transplants from someplace else and they just moved here. That mentality makes me want to bang my head against the wall a time or two. Everyone in this county deserves the same treatment, the best we can afford. If the commission did not do a study on how much this is going to cost, then they was not doing the job they was elected to do. This money is not their money, it is our money. Would you hire a broker and give him free reign to do as he pleased with your money and never consult with you? Would any of the commissioners give you their check book with all the checks signed? Does it really matter what the EMS has or hasn't done? What matters is how to pay for the DCAA and what if we can't pay for it? What happens then? Seriously, what do we do? What were these commissioners thinking when they got us into this mess. Evans is a new commissioner, If you want, give him some leeway but actually, he should have been be up to speed when sworn in. How long has Williams been on the Commission and what is her excuse? Whether you want to believe it or not, there are people in this county in Executive positions that are not your friends. In fact, they don't care what you want. They may act like they do to your face but behind your back it is an entirely different story. The "hey old buddy how you doing'' makes me physically ill, it is so OLD SCHOOL. Get a new line that material is getting on my nerves.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of23
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Doddridge County Forum right now

Search the Doddridge County Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Parkersburg tour a popular haunt for ghost hunters (Dec '06) Jul 16 Not true 21
Industrial Home for Youth (Jun '10) Jul 16 nobama 65
Hey Brent take a bath toothpaste is cheap also (Mar '13) Jul 16 Baffled l 7
Grand Jury Jul 15 transporter 2
Public Comments Jul 14 Our Right 27
DC Independent Newspaper Jul 7 Doddridge person 42
The Harold Rag Jul 5 The NEW year 43
•••
•••