Evans Approves Flood Plain Permit for...

Evans Approves Flood Plain Permit for EQT

Posted in the Doddridge County Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Town Cryer

Bridgeport, WV

#1 Apr 18, 2012
Hey -- Heard via phone call that Evans, the encumbent Commissioner is the Flood Plain CoOrdinator and APPROVED a permit for EQT to drill in the Flood Plain and then had to rescind it last night when approached by the surface owner in their meeting last night.

IS THIS TRUE and WHY on earth would Jerry Evans, be the County Flood Plain Co-ordinator?

Also heard that he denied that he had recieved a permit for the building going on the Powell farm (possible flood plain) and the Clerk went in and found the permit that he had approved and the permit stated that none of the property being used to build on is in the flood plain!
Hopefully Responsible

West Union, WV

#2 Apr 18, 2012
Town Cryer wrote:
Hey -- Heard via phone call that Evans, the encumbent Commissioner is the Flood Plain CoOrdinator and APPROVED a permit for EQT to drill in the Flood Plain and then had to rescind it last night when approached by the surface owner in their meeting last night.
IS THIS TRUE and WHY on earth would Jerry Evans, be the County Flood Plain Co-ordinator?
Also heard that he denied that he had recieved a permit for the building going on the Powell farm (possible flood plain) and the Clerk went in and found the permit that he had approved and the permit stated that none of the property being used to build on is in the flood plain!
Are these two separate permits: EQT permit to drill and "Powell farm"?
Town Cryer

Clarksburg, WV

#3 Apr 18, 2012
YES ----
deb

United States

#4 Apr 18, 2012
And how much of this has already happened....signed off on by an individual that is not qualified to make those decisions?! Come on folks!! No wonder the oil & gas industry thinks we're a bunch of dumb hicks. Hope the County realizes they can get sued for this type of dereliction of duty. Wish the feds would step in!
RD_in_WV

Coronado, CA

#5 Apr 18, 2012
from what i've heard, the rescinded permit was for drilling in a flood way (which i understand is even worse than allowing drilling in a flood plain).
Oh Boy

United States

#6 Apr 18, 2012
Man, does this stuff get deeper all the time. I undersrand he is running for a County Commission position once again.
I would have to think long and hard before casting a vote for him.
Town Cryer

Weston, WV

#7 Apr 18, 2012
DING DING DING CaaaaaCHING!

No other words to describe this!
Town Cryer

Weston, WV

#8 Apr 18, 2012
Remember -- this person is the one that said that DCEMS didn't have QUALIFIED personnel --- That they MISUSED FUNDS ---- That we didn't NEED to vote because HE KNEW what was best for us ---

MONEY????? Well they were sooooooo worried about the DCEMS being a liability --- looks like HE is the LIABILITY

IMO
Quiet Observer

United States

#9 Apr 18, 2012
OMG ! I am soooooooo glad that people will sit up and take notice about what is about to happen to this poor county. 300 proposed wells !!!

The drillers know that our county government is totally inept when it comes to doing what they are responsible to do, meaning knowing enough to enforce the flood plain ordinance that is on the books in our county. So..... all you people reading this that have and oil and gas well on your property now ...or are being threatened by having one coming soon.....

FIND OUT IF the well or proposed well is on a flood plain and if our county's flood plain coordinatory, JERRY EVANS (who admitted during a filmed commission meeting yesterday, that he doesn't know how to read these flood plain maps)...FIND OUT if he signed off on permits to drill on YOUR land in a flood plain!

And if any of you find out it is on a flood plain, and they were allowed to drill anyway, then you have every right to sue the county, and the commissioners, and especially the one commissioner who IS the flood plain coordinator but not doing the job correctly.

Is it any wonder there is a marcellus drilling frenzy going on in this county right now? Do these companies know that they are dealing with a bunch of dumb hicks?

How many signed pipeline agreements and got really low-balled and didn't know it? How many think that the leases they signed to have a well drilled on them is just like any other well --- they haven't a clue how invasive a Marcellus well pad is compared to conventional wells!

I agree with Deb's post above... these drillers think we are dumb hicks, and maybe it is true when it comes to certain ones who are our elected officials. But for goodness sakes, protect you lands. We HAVE to make them do things right and if the WV DEP won't do their job in making sure the drilling is done right ------ take it to the FEDS!

We all know that the WV DEP doesn't have enough inspectors. And when they get a permit application from a driller, and the paper work shows that the county flood plain coordinator signed off on it, then they assume everything is honkey-dorey when it isn't in many cases.

Ya'll have to look out for yourselves and protect your lands 'cause it's obvious that our county government hasn't a clue what to do, in my opinion!
construction worker

United States

#10 Apr 18, 2012
Hopefully Responsible wrote:
<quoted text>Are these two separate permits: EQT permit to drill and "Powell farm"?
It is not difficult to see that the Powell farm sits in a flood plain area with a creek running right through the bottom land. The fact that a pipeline, compressor station and well site is going on that land is disturbing. I operate a bull dozer in another county but pass by this section on my way to work each day. It will be interesting to see what comes of this if they go ahead with the projects. How did this get so far unnoticed?
Town Cryer

Bridgeport, WV

#11 Apr 19, 2012
It's not that citizens didn't notice --- People just didn't know about the permitting process ----- Plus we do feel very helpless with the whole drilling situation ----
Wolfpack

West Union, WV

#12 Apr 19, 2012
You folk are computer savvy or you would not be reading this, so go to http://www.mapwv.gov/flood/ and click on "launch tool" and/or go to http://www.msc.fema.gov for maps of flood plain areas. Information from these sites can help with the areas of flood plains
Wolfpack

West Union, WV

#13 Apr 19, 2012
Oh yeah, this may help:

The latitude and longitude of
Doddridge County, West Virginia is:
39° 16' 48" N / 80° 43' 8" W
WOW

United States

#14 Apr 19, 2012
All should be involved.
Quiet Observer

United States

#15 Apr 19, 2012
Think it's time for the feds to converge on Doddridge County in the same frenzied manner in which the drillers did. The drilers moved over here to WV in such a panic to drill because PA, NY, NJ, and MD are no longer friendly territories for them....they had sense to inact laws to protect their people, their land, and the environment. But noooooooo, WV is the usual free for all with no real environmental protection for its people, thanks to a WV legislature that is a slave to the O*G lobby.

We NEED help in this county from a lot more than the WV DEP because there is not enough enforcement and oversight taking place to keep these drillers accountable.

As it is going now, when they are finished with us in a few years, this place will be uninhabitable.

If only people would research the long range drilling plans for this county as some of us have done.

Most of these jobs are NOT held by locals. And when the boom is over in a few years, we'll still be a welfare state and with some serious environmental issues and water well contamination to deal with. This ain't the usual conventional well drilling boom, folks!
Town Cryer

Weston, WV

#16 Apr 20, 2012
Oh for Heavens sake (And my sake and eveyone who is tired of the poor me we are getting drilled on! Frankly we are sick of the DRAMA!!!)

Evan's apporval of this permit in the FLOOD PLAIN without even going out and looking at the location is the EXACT example of WV having really good laws on the books BUT those who are supposed to enforce the laws protecting the land not doing their jobs!!!
WOW

United States

#17 Apr 20, 2012
Come now, are you saying our wonderful county commissio, who is our representatives, is not fulfilling their jobs? Surely you may be mistaken. ha.
Jerry couldn't poor water out of a cup without directions on the heal or someone telling him how to do so.
MY OPINIONS ONLY!!!
For Crying Out Loud

Weston, WV

#18 Apr 20, 2012
I don't have to say it -- EVIDENCE (such as this foopah) SHOWS IT!!!

I am sorry -- but there are those who feed off of this drama and panic that it causes ----

After watching the videos of the Commission Meeting on doddridgenews.com the Commission's ordinance reportedly gives this job to the OES Director --- SO WHY did JERRY take it over in the 1st place?????

Then they talk about HIRING a Flood Plain Coordinator and Jerry suddenly becomes not the oordinator but the Flood Plain MANAGER ---- And Jerry even tries to lay it off on the Health Dept because of their lack of having a Sanitarian----

We ALL know they have NO MORE MONEY to pay for another employee -- so WHY DON'T THEY FIRE THE OES DIRECTOR and HIRE AN OES DIRECTOR that will do the job that he was hired to do!!!?????
Quiet Observer

United States

#19 Apr 20, 2012
Town Cryer wrote:
Oh for Heavens sake (And my sake and eveyone who is tired of the poor me we are getting drilled on! Frankly we are sick of the DRAMA!!!)
Evan's apporval of this permit in the FLOOD PLAIN without even going out and looking at the location is the EXACT example of WV having really good laws on the books BUT those who are supposed to enforce the laws protecting the land not doing their jobs!!!
You know what??? You need to step back and take a look at what you just said. LOL You say you're sick of the drama of those of us who b*tch about what the drilling industry is doing and you make the comment "everyone is tired of the poor me we are getting drilled on!"

Well is that any different than everyone being tired of "poor me the county commission is breaking the laws" that YOU gripe about?? That's YOUR passion..... THIS is ours.

Same difference really. Laws on the books and the commission breaks them. You gripe. laws on the books and the drillers break them. We gripe.

Careful who you make fun of lest you forget your own campaigns.
Quiet Observer

United States

#20 Apr 20, 2012
For Crying Out Loud wrote:
I don't have to say it -- EVIDENCE (such as this foopah) SHOWS IT!!!
I am sorry -- but there are those who feed off of this drama and panic that it causes ----
After watching the videos of the Commission Meeting on doddridgenews.com the Commission's ordinance reportedly gives this job to the OES Director --- SO WHY did JERRY take it over in the 1st place?????
Then they talk about HIRING a Flood Plain Coordinator and Jerry suddenly becomes not the oordinator but the Flood Plain MANAGER ---- And Jerry even tries to lay it off on the Health Dept because of their lack of having a Sanitarian----
We ALL know they have NO MORE MONEY to pay for another employee -- so WHY DON'T THEY FIRE THE OES DIRECTOR and HIRE AN OES DIRECTOR that will do the job that he was hired to do!!!?????
Oh for Heavens sake (And my sake and eveyone who is tired of the poor me we are tired of this county commission shenanigans!"

Sound familiar? see my point both of you people in Strasburg?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Doddridge County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tax Fraud Jul 16 Concerned citizen 4
Time to Move On Jul 16 Townie 8
Mineral and oil rights. Who to sell to? Jun '16 Nancy chipps 1
County Commission Jun '16 What is wrong 60
election May '16 Tax Dollars wasted 14
Board of Education Election (Feb '14) Apr '16 bean counter 66
DC Independent (Oct '15) Apr '16 Bulldog 12
More from around the web