Gas Well explosion near Lake Floyd - ...

Gas Well explosion near Lake Floyd - 8/17 4 am

Posted in the Doddridge County Forum

Since: Feb 08

Greenwood WV

#2 Aug 17, 2012
I hope the workers are going to be ok. It's dangerous work. The news said that it's an Antero well but that Hall was operating the rig. I hope that all of our local VFD's are participating in the training that is being offered. They are going to need it.
DC Resident
#3 Aug 17, 2012
The well is located on Shaw's Run just off of the Sycamore Road - at least 2 miles from Lake Floyd. If I don't go thru Salem to get to work, I drive by the well pad and location site. Wait until the investigation is complete and then you can point your fingers.

Just a thought - when you point your finger at someone else, there are always 3 pointing back it you!
True Blue
#4 Aug 17, 2012
I do wonder what the investigation will show and I wonder if we will ever know the conclusions of the investigation, and I wonder even if we are told, whether even experts would all agree. I am sure you know that even experts disagree with one another, don't you?
Quiet Observer
#5 Aug 17, 2012
Here's an interesting tidbit I learned recently.(saw a article about it)....

The WV legislature does not provide any fundng for OSHA to operate at a state level. From what I understand, the phone number for OSHA (a 304 area code which would seem to convey that it is a local state banch)..... actually rings into the federal OSHA department when it is dialed.

Perhaps, it would be prudent for our WV legislatue to start allocating more funds to support LOCAL in-state agencies that should be focused on protecting industry workers, citizens and our WV environment.

And maybe a good way to raise funds to do that,(rather than burden the tax payers) would be to raise the severance taxes charged to the industry for taking our gas. Natural gas that appears to mostly be shipped to China for huge profits for these giant corporations. Little money goes back to the state and the benefit of the WV people. They could be made to do more, or is it OK for WV to continue to be "collatoral damage" from this current Marcellus boom.

Would be nice if more hefty permit and county fees were required of the industry to help fund our local EMS and fire departments in these heavily drilled counties ...BECAUSE those departments ARE our first responsders when incidents like this well explosion and fire happen!

So Sorry

Anmoore, WV

#6 Aug 17, 2012
I am PRAYING that these persons were NOT hurt badly and recover quickly.(PRAYERS for their families also!)

As for the rest of the supposition and second guessing --- People --- ACCIDENTS happen --- it takes one VERY WRONG move on those rigs for disaster to strike ---

I believe that anyone that has any type of sense at all would realize this and stop celebrating that something went wrong on a rig!
lemon

Salem, WV

#7 Aug 18, 2012
i know a few halls employees
any word on who was hurt?
well worker family member

United States

#8 Aug 18, 2012
So Sorry wrote:
As for the rest of the supposition and second guessing --- People --- ACCIDENTS happen --- it takes one VERY WRONG move on those rigs for disaster to strike ---
I believe that anyone that has any type of sense at all would realize this and stop celebrating that something went wrong on a rig!
I don't think anyone is celebrating--my god,what a thing to suggest. From the posts on here it would seem that people are concerned and making comment that maybe because there is so much drilling going on that our state agencies and legislature might be a bit more proactive to change the old ways of doing things because this aint the old way of drilling!
So Sorry

Weston, WV

#9 Aug 18, 2012
don't have names --- I simply called a friend that works for them anc confirmed his and a few others that I know were OK ----

Hope that you get good news about those you know also ---

Just really blows my mind that this gas pocket was so shallow ---- all it would take is metal hitting metal for a spark to fly and cause the explosion --
Former Resident

Jefferson, MD

#10 Aug 18, 2012
I found his on the "Hur Herald" web site"

THREE DRILLERS INJURED IN FLASH FIRE ACCIDENT - Two Airlifted To Burn Center
(08/18/2012)

Three workers are being treated for injuries after a flash fire early Friday morning at a Marcellus shale gas drilling site in Harrison County.
State Department of Environmental Protection spokesman Tom Aluise says Hall Drilling of Ritchie County was in the early stages of drilling the first well on the pad owned by Denver-based Antero Resources when the fire occurred at about 4:16 a.m.

Two Hall Drilling workers were flown by helicopter to the West Penn Burn Center in Pittsburgh. Their conditions are unknown.

A third worker was taken by ambulance to a Harrison County hospital.

Hall Drilling has not released the names of the injured men.

Aluise of the WV DEP Office of Oil and Gas released this statement Friday afternoon:

"We will issue an order today telling Antero that all well work, other than procedures needed to make sure the site remains stable, must cease on the site. We have not issued any violations yet."

Aluise says it happened as the drill was being removed from the well near the community of Sycamore.

"Preliminary indications are that they hit a pocket of methane gas. An unknown source ignited the gas. There was a flash fire that burned for approximately an hour before it was extinguished," Aluise said.

The drilling rig was heavily damaged in the fire and may have to be replaced.
lemon

Clarksburg, WV

#11 Aug 21, 2012
any word on how the injured workers are?

news said they were released from hospital

any major injurys?

i wish them the best
apple butter

West Union, WV

#12 Aug 22, 2012
Hope they all do well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Doddridge County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mike Todd Jan 18 Wondering 5
choc labs in doddridge county (Oct '09) Jan 15 Puppy momma 18
DC Independent (Oct '15) Jan 6 Once again 23
Stealing from family & government Sep '17 Homeboy 10
News Industrial Home for Youth (Jun '10) Sep '17 Maybe 71
DC Fair 2017 (Jul '17) Aug '17 Pedro 3
Doddridge Commission 5/20/2014 (May '14) Jun '17 the rock 51
More from around the web