Whats going on @ Sherwood ?????

Posted in the Doddridge County Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Questions

Weston, WV

#1 Apr 30, 2012
Seems there is an awfully lot of people with posters -- Union picket line or protesters?
lemon

Morgantown, WV

#2 Apr 30, 2012
signs say something about hire local
i not stop to read more
True Blue

West Union, WV

#3 Apr 30, 2012
Questions wrote:
Seems there is an awfully lot of people with posters -- Union picket line or protesters?
Demonstrating to get the out of state contractors to hire local workers.
omg

Pennsboro, WV

#4 May 1, 2012
they hire out of state workers because nobody local wants to work
DC Resident

Glen Allen, VA

#5 May 1, 2012
Some can't pass the drug testing required for hiring.
DC Worker

Charleston, WV

#6 May 1, 2012
I'm just curious - does anyone actually know ANYONE local who is not on drugs (including pills) that has a clean credit, criminal and driving record that has experience in the oil and gas industry and has been unable to get a job in that industry? I doubt it! Even if you leave out the experienced part, I doubt that there is anyone who meets the other qualifications who has been unable to get a job. It's not their fault that there are more jobs than available workers
Citizen

United States

#7 May 1, 2012
DC Worker wrote:
I'm just curious - does anyone actually know ANYONE local who is not on drugs (including pills) that has a clean credit, criminal and driving record that has experience in the oil and gas industry and has been unable to get a job in that industry? I doubt it! Even if you leave out the experienced part, I doubt that there is anyone who meets the other qualifications who has been unable to get a job. It's not their fault that there are more jobs than available workers
Not true, and I know plenty who would have taken those pipeline jobs and were qualified for the construction work. Just ask all those members of the 3 different unions that are out there at 6 am picketing. Skilled workers, none were offered the jobs because two of the companies there brought in their own people!
plaguey

Hyattsville, MD

#8 May 2, 2012
DC Worker wrote:
Absolutely, YES! I know plenty of DC workers who could fill those jobs. Many are currently underemployed and could have benefited from this opportunity.

Please don't let a few bad apples cloud your view of the population as a whole. There will always be a percentage of any population who are completely dysfunctional. They are far from being a majority of residents, here or anywhere else. In fact, many police officers will tell you they spend 90% of their time dealing with the same 10% of the people. It's the same everywhere.

"In County" workers aside, we live in a big state, there are plenty of workers from surrounding counties who also qualify. This would still keep West Virginia jobs, in the very capable hands of West Virginia workers.
Questions

Weston, WV

#9 May 2, 2012
Hey guys -- SHould we picket the Courthouse??? How many COUNTY PAID jobs have been either given away or done wawy with since Jerry took offie????

How many OUT OF TOWNERS have been hired through the Commission to take new positions??????
Wolfpack

West Union, WV

#10 May 2, 2012
Picket the "court house" by voting out the ones who sent the jobs away!
DC Worker

Charleston, WV

#11 May 2, 2012
plaguey wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely, YES! I know plenty of DC workers who could fill those jobs. Many are currently underemployed and could have benefited from this opportunity.
Please don't let a few bad apples cloud your view of the population as a whole. There will always be a percentage of any population who are completely dysfunctional. They are far from being a majority of residents, here or anywhere else. In fact, many police officers will tell you they spend 90% of their time dealing with the same 10% of the people. It's the same everywhere.
"In County" workers aside, we live in a big state, there are plenty of workers from surrounding counties who also qualify. This would still keep West Virginia jobs, in the very capable hands of West Virginia workers.
I understand what you're saying but how many of those people who "could fill those jobs" APPLIED TO THEM and were not hired? Jobs have been posted online and they had a few open call days at Days Inn. I applied several months ago with only factory experience and I was hired. People gotta look for the jobs, stop and talk to oil and gas workers to see where to apply, find out who bought the property and contact the company to see if there's going to be any work. Jobs don't come knocking on your door.
Apple Butter

West Union, WV

#12 May 2, 2012
But the one problem in this county is that none of the men and women want to get out of bed when they make more money staying at home with ,food stamps,Medical,welfare check,free housing,dont have to pay for the gas to get back home,no taxes,
or fake a Social Security check, and do all the drugs you want with no pee test !! Why give up a $2,500.00 a month job where you can sleep all day and start lies and have no problems because your protected by the FEDERAL GOVERMENT and Pres OBAMA ?? are you crazy to think they will give this up and not sleep till noon ???
Tiredofcrybabies

Saint Albans, WV

#13 May 3, 2012
I from doddridge and work in the oil field and travel out of town work. Anyone can do it they just have to look for a job not just a big paying one you have to start at the bottom and work your way up and get your name out there. Another point is why would they lay off the guys that work for them every time they move locations it would happen to the people in doddridge. Cnty to if that was the way it worked then people would complain about being laid off when the work was done. Not to mention training cost to retrain people all the time. Some people need to use their heads.
workers

United States

#14 May 4, 2012
well they didn't stay long. went by there today and no protesting happening...:( sure wished that local people could be utilized
Wolfpack

West Union, WV

#15 May 7, 2012
workers wrote:
well they didn't stay long. went by there today and no protesting happening...:( sure wished that local people could be utilized
As of today they are still there.
tlgriff71235

Wheeling, WV

#16 Oct 4, 2012
My husband is one of those "out-of-state" employees, we live in Texas. He has been pipelining for 14 yrs. He is a member of a union and works only union jobs, his union is in Maine. The contracts for those jobs have 90% of the time entailed hiring 50% from the local unions and the company brings in 50%. He is not a company employee per se but is part of the companies 50% hire, as he only works for the one company but as a union hand. I understand the hire only local mentality. I have to say however that I have met some people from WV on jobs in OTHER STATES - they were not local there. They get on an out of town list and are called in as needed or work as my husband does. There has to be a lot of local jobs created when out of towners show up: they need to shop, eat, place to stay, etc. I can tell you I know I have spent A LOT of money locally. Truck repairs (locally repaired)$9k alone. We pay rent, buy groceries, doctor visits, mail box rental, buy clothes, etc. A lot of these places have to hire more people to handle the load, hotels are full most every day at outrageous prices, friends have rented houses. There are a lot of dollars flooding in locally due to us out of towners!
LOCAL WORKER

Moundsville, WV

#17 Oct 4, 2012
So sorry to tlgriff71235 --- You shouldn't have to put up with the guff from some of these locals ---

Understand they are trying to do anything to shut the industry down in this county!

Yes, I am local and have benefited --- so much that I will be moving on with the work and be one of those "dreaded out of staters" ---

Thank-you (and your company) for your patients with those who believe that we need to stay frozen in time ----
lemon

Morgantown, WV

#18 Oct 4, 2012
as a lifelong local, the only problem i have with the out of state workers is the speed they drive on side roads, the lack of courtsy on 1 lane roads, the local custom is to look ahead, if a narrow section of road, pull over in closest wide spot and wait for oncoming to pass, and rudness when i see them in stores and gas stations

other than that, im happy to see them

Since: Feb 08

Greenwood WV

#19 Oct 4, 2012
lemon wrote:
as a lifelong local, the only problem i have with the out of state workers is the speed they drive on side roads, the lack of courtsy on 1 lane roads, the local custom is to look ahead, if a narrow section of road, pull over in closest wide spot and wait for oncoming to pass, and rudness when i see them in stores and gas stations
other than that, im happy to see them
Very good point! It's a whole different ballgame, driving on our roads. I've traveled all over the country and there are very few other places that have roads like WV!
Local resident

Springfield, NJ

#20 Oct 4, 2012
tlgriff71235 wrote:
My husband is one of those "out-of-state" employees, we live in Texas. He has been pipelining for 14 yrs.
The things you mention are mostly positive. Local business doing more business is always a good thing.

Decent law abiding citizens are always welcome were ever they may go. However, it seems that not all of the companies involved in this invasion have the same hiring policies. That's a sad thing.

I am a local, and from my families viewpoint, what bothers us the most isn't the fact that you're from another state, it's the bad behavior we are witnessing from SOME of the outsiders that are coming here. We are being run off the road, dealing with our roads being blocked, dealing with theft, vandalism and general bad attitudes. No, it's not all of you doing these things. But, the small percentage of outsiders who are, are the ones making it hard for the rest of you. Just last week there was a fellow in an Arkansas tagged truck who jammed on his brakes in front of a local grandma and started screaming at her and threatening her. When we see things like that, how do you expect us to feel about you?

If your companies adopted a zero tolerance policy to this type of monkey business and started firing these bad apples it would go along way towards helping folks like you get along with the local population.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Doddridge County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
County Commission 4 hr DCRES 46
Board of Education Election (Feb '14) Apr 19 bean counter 66
DC Independent (Oct '15) Apr 2 Bulldog 12
the KKK in Doddridge County (Aug '11) Apr 2 Here 9
Mar '16 Verizon Guy 1
Tax Fraud Mar '16 Uncle Sam 3
DCAA Tramp Stamp (Jul '15) Mar '16 Always Hungry 2
More from around the web