Marcellus drilling in New Milton area

Posted in the Doddridge County Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Johnny B Good

Barnesville, OH

#1 Jul 31, 2012
If you are a resident of New Milton area living near the Erwin farm and other of his properties that he leased to Antero, and you have concerns about how his decision to lease has impacted the entire community in this area of New Milton (i.e., your quality of life, your property value, and possibly put you at risk from the potential for well water pollution, human and livestock health risks, air quality, noise and dust pollution, traffic and safety issues etc.) that are associated with this "unconventional drilling" of these huge Marcellus well pads..... check out this link on the internet.....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-reinbach... ?

Excerpts below from the article link:

"Quiet enjoyment means more than the right to sit on your porch and watch the sunset; it includes the right to enjoy the value of your property. If your neighbor does something to hurt this right, he has to pay you the before-and-after difference -- to make you whole, as they say.

It's called nuisance law, and means everybody has the right to do what they want with their property -- as long and they don't hurt anybody else. If they do, they have to pay."

........."This is where you get together with the neighbors who don't want drilling around them, and then explain to the neighbor with the lease that if he does drill, he'll have to make their neighbors whole, and if he renews, he'll be sued for anticipatory nuisance.

If, in the first case, he's looking forward to getting, say,$10,000 a month in lease payments, he'll suddenly be looking at paying it all out to make his neighbors whole -- not much of a deal for him. And of course, in the second case he won't be drilling at all -- just fighting a lawsuit he has a good chance of losing."

WOW !! All of the above content was in the article and not the first article like it!!

I do believe this could happen. What has he unleashed!!!

And certainly encouraging news that perhaps the greedy little b*stards (that would lease the land over their mother's grave) might have to share some of their proceeds with some of their neighbors if many of those neighbors agree that their quality of life and property value has been impacted by another person's decision. And the other two gals who also signed leases on theirs which was needed to make all this crap possible ...meaning the crap that's just starting which is about to turn beautiful, rural, New Milton into an industrial zone full of Marcellus pads, pipelines, and compressor station! At least a couple dozen in the works for the area of New Milton and affecting all the residents up and down RT 18 south in some way or another.


I predict that we are about to see a bunch of out-of-state lawyers converging on us to "set up shop" and drumming up business for themselves with their nuisance suits.

And I also predict that a bunch of fed up neighbors (who have been obviously compromised by another neighbor's greed ) will want to initiate litigation, so as to be "made whole" again.

Can you imagine what that would do to someone like him if he knew he'd have to share any of those royalties because of the harm that his decision to allow the drilling cause harm to his neighbors!!! LOL What a thought!

This Marcellus drilling frenzy coming to Doddridge is opening up more can of worms that most people would have ever dreamed. But they are starting to see the light!
rum duck

Coronado, CA

#2 Aug 1, 2012
I knew a fella who used the same argument against his neighbor's pig farm.
Unbelievable

Weston, WV

#3 Aug 1, 2012
Johnny -- I guess that you just need to turn off all power to your house (unless you use -- turn off your phone -- sell your car -- 4 wheeler and lawn mower ---- OH yes and that FREE GAS NEEDS TO GO --- Because unless you do all of this then you are as much of the problem as those who drill to provide the rspurces for you to burn -----

and as for property rates being decreased --- Sweetheart -- YOU bought that property at a decreased amount because the oil and gas did not come with it -- not because it was located in WV!
Unbelievable

Weston, WV

#4 Aug 1, 2012
That is unless you use SOLAR POWER
raspberry

Beattyville, KY

#5 Aug 1, 2012
WOW Johnny!!! You have alot of nerve to call your neighbor greedy. Most of the people whom complain about the drilling are usually the ones that are not making any money!!! Good luck with the lawsuit,I doubt you stand a chance! I also have to wonder if you are a native of WV or are you a transplant? My bet is you are a transplant!
Laughing

Columbus, OH

#6 Aug 1, 2012
If ignorance is bliss, I am guessing one specific person is a happy camper.

Curious, while he is wasting all this anger on his neighbor, if he has gone to the courthouse to verify that his neighbor is the one that owns the mineral rights under his property.

Additionally, using his own logic, curious if he is willing to pay his neighbors everytime the weeds in front of his own property are overgrown, the color of his house does not suit the neighbors, etc. Afterall, he is diminishing their property value if his property is not spotless and perfect.
Amazed

Barnesville, OH

#7 Aug 1, 2012
Coal and timber. Then conventional gas. Now 40 acre Marcellus pads. And once again, when the boom is over and the jobs go. Same old, same old. I guess more SSI.
WV's motto should be "Thank you sir may I have another".
Johnny B Good

Barnesville, OH

#8 Aug 1, 2012
Unbelievable wrote:
Johnny -- I guess that you just need to turn off all power to your house (unless you use -- turn off your phone -- sell your car -- 4 wheeler and lawn mower ---- OH yes and that FREE GAS NEEDS TO GO --- Because unless you do all of this then you are as much of the problem as those who drill to provide the rspurces for you to burn -----
and as for property rates being decreased --- Sweetheart -- YOU bought that property at a decreased amount because the oil and gas did not come with it -- not because it was located in WV!
???? What are you talking about-- doesn't make a bit of sense.

what is sad is that we just heard from a driller's contractor that sixty-five marcellus well projects are currently in the engineering stage to be applied for in the future in Doddridge and Ritchie County. Sixty five well pads headed our way. By the time people sit up and take notice --Doddridge will no longer be fit for habitation. And only those few who made their millions on their leasing will be able to afford to move away. the rest will be stuck here on properties they can't sell. How sad.
Off the grid with solar

Barnesville, OH

#9 Aug 1, 2012
Amazed wrote:
Coal and timber. Then conventional gas. Now 40 acre Marcellus pads. And once again, when the boom is over and the jobs go. Same old, same old. I guess more SSI.
WV's motto should be "Thank you sir may I have another".
Amazed-- I have to agree with you. These hicks in this county are like old whores. They just roll over an take another. And the drillers are laughing all the way to the bank with the billions they make selling the gas to China. Do people think that this is really to solve the so-called "energy crisis" and lower our fuel prices in the U.S? And these well heads will only produce for about a dozen or so years at best. A lot of industrial waste left behind due to an over saturated natural gas market.
raspberry

Beattyville, KY

#10 Aug 1, 2012
Johnny B Good wrote:
<quoted text>
???? What are you talking about-- doesn't make a bit of sense.
what is sad is that we just heard from a driller's contractor that sixty-five marcellus well projects are currently in the engineering stage to be applied for in the future in Doddridge and Ritchie County. Sixty five well pads headed our way. By the time people sit up and take notice --Doddridge will no longer be fit for habitation. And only those few who made their millions on their leasing will be able to afford to move away. the rest will be stuck here on properties they can't sell. How sad.
I still think you are a transplant!!!
Johnny B Good

Barnesville, OH

#11 Aug 2, 2012
raspberry wrote:
<quoted text>I still think you are a transplant!!!
But does that matter? I rent here, so at least can leave quickly. How sad for those who watch their family homesteads trashed and can't leave. All one has to do is look at the back page of the Herald each week where the public notices are printed. Look at all the wells being filed for in this county. Scary. The industrialization of Doddridge County.
If only you people who are true Doddridge natives had any idea what these companies have planned for your quiet rural county. Oh but your cousin Jethro is gettin' himself a real job driving a water truck--so all is right with the world.
lemon

Clarksburg, WV

#12 Aug 2, 2012
rent?
i knew that
why did u not stay in your former area and ''improve'' them
imo
I am not a transplant

United States

#13 Aug 4, 2012
Lived in WV all my life. The Marcellus Well Industry will ruin our state. Land will be trashed. Natural resources will be trashed. Industrial Waste, Toxins pumped into the ground, how safe will the water supply be? If it is so safe, why did Vermont ban all fracking???
Marcellus Researcher

Barnesville, OH

#14 Aug 5, 2012
I am not a transplant wrote:
Lived in WV all my life. The Marcellus Well Industry will ruin our state. Land will be trashed. Natural resources will be trashed. Industrial Waste, Toxins pumped into the ground, how safe will the water supply be? If it is so safe, why did Vermont ban all fracking???
Yup, we are about to see the industrialization of rural Doddridge County from an industry that is preying on the unsuspecting (thinks we're dumb hicks and are offering insulting lowball offers for leases and right-of-ways and the uninformed are signing.) Then they will move in here like nothing you've ever seen before and trash the land. They don't care. Spend millions on P.R. ads on radio, tv and in the newspapers saying what they do is safe for the environment.

Well... if it is so damn safe, then why does the oil and gas industry have to be exempt from 7 different laws (that provide environmental protections) in order for them to be able to do what they do...(frack)?

http://catskillcitizens.org/PetroleumExemptio...

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/03...

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/environmenta...
Research Cant Fix Stupid

Chloe, WV

#15 Aug 7, 2012
The person complaining about the Erwin family is most definitely a "Transplant"!!! She has done nothing but stir and stir and attack them. It is their land and they may do as they choose with i. It is not endangering your property in any way. You knew what "right of way" meant when you bought land-locked property. If you're so unhappy, sell out and move. Easy solution, I say.
Research fixes stupid

United States

#16 Aug 7, 2012
Research Cant Fix Stupid wrote:
The person complaining about the Erwin family is most definitely a "Transplant"!!! She has done nothing but stir and stir and attack them. It is their land and they may do as they choose with i. It is not endangering your property in any way. You knew what "right of way" meant when you bought land-locked property. If you're so unhappy, sell out and move. Easy solution, I say.
Not sure about what all this is referring to except, one thiing is for sure. The law of tortes says that if a person does something to harm another and/or their property, that person is liable. Doesn't matter if it is person or coporation. Lawyers love this stuff! So hearing all about the stuff going on in Doddridge harrison and other counties makes one wonder. We have people currently in law suits against antero because they are drinking arsenict in their well water. Who knows the outcome. But one thing for sure is lawyers love this stuff and the fact that stuff is circulating in the news about how marcellus drilling is far reaching in its environmental impacts, if sure seems like drilling on someone elses' property that goes wrong and leaches out on anothers with contamiinnation would surely be something a lawyer would like to get a hold of. I bet you that in the next couple years--when we are at the same stage as some of these other states are --who are years ahead of us in Marcellus drilling, we will find Doddridge in the thick of damage suits just as they are. Isn't gonna matter who is not from around here or who is native. If they are drinking arsenic or have fracking chemicals show up in their urine (documented cases in Peterstownship in PA) then people are gonna sue the drillers and anyone who enabled them. standard operating procedures in liability claims for lawyers to sue everybody. When I see some of these farms where they are torn up but the owner gets big royalty checks -I'm happy for them. because they have the money to move away from the toxic zone that's left after drilling. Others who have lived here since noah was a baby-but dont have a pot to piss in wont have that option. Sad really. I sure hope more research comes out of this. The industry says its safe. Maybe they can fund the research for pre-testing of every ones soil and drinking water within a mile radius of these wells. because thats how far the horizontal legs reach. and worryng about that ain't stupid.
GET FOR REAL

United States

#17 Aug 7, 2012
I agree with Can't Fix Stupid. Quit complaining, if you're renting, find another place to live and MOVE. If you own your property, put it up for sale and MOVE. Quit griping and complaining. How many people live close to this well site area other than yourself. Can't be many, such a rural area from what I know. Get off your high horse and move back to the city where you came from. You can breath the clean polluted air day and night. Get for real. There is nothing you can do about it. It is their land. You're just looking to sue for a free hand out. That is what's wrong with this world. Sit on your butt, bitch and complain and look for ways to get money that is not rightfully yours placed in your hands. Doddridge County is not the only drilling location in the world. There are wells all over the world and life goes on. Like I said, go back where you came from.
GET FOR REAL

United States

#18 Aug 7, 2012
Also why are you attacking the John Erwin family? You say there are 65 other of these type wells being drilled in Doddridge County. I don't see you bashing these familie's names. Sounds like to me you are personally discriminating against them. If you are attacking Antero and their drilling then do so with ALL land and mineral rights owners who are permitting drilling on their properties. You sound intelligent but I think NOT! Leave people alone and use your time constructively.
Marcellus Researcher

Barnesville, OH

#19 Aug 7, 2012
GET FOR REAL wrote:
.... Doddridge County is not the only drilling location in the world.....


You are correct about that! This county is just a couple years behind of all the extensive Marcellus shale drilling that has already occured in many areas in PA. One only needs to google those other heavily fracked areas to get the clear picture.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/20/magazine/fr...

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/drilling/ohio-utica...

http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/201207/penns...

Have literally hundreds more articles just like these all over the internet about what's going on in PA after the fact....after the rigs have moved on. All interesting reading. Believe what you will now, since we are only at the front end, but check back in a year or two and see if we are the focal point of similar articles. Happy reading!

GET FOR REAL

United States

#20 Aug 7, 2012
You still haven't answered my questions as to why single out one family where there are so many other. I have absolutely no interest in reading YOUR artles and BLOGS. If you're going to slam and drag one familie's name through the mud then drag them ALL. If I was so unhappy and concerned, then I would move my family where I felt they would be safe "IF THEY WERE IN DANGER". Any judge is going to look at you and ask the same question. If you feel it is so bad and dangerous for your familie's health and wellbeing, why didn't you move to a safer home and property? Why stay and subject your loved ones to all these "poisons and health hazards"? Have you thought of that? Get for real!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Doddridge County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
the KKK in Doddridge County (Aug '11) Fri Kuklucker 4
DCAA Letter to Commission Fri Tired Taxpayer 31
Sleeping May 9 Seen Everything Now 8
The Doddridge Independent May 9 Seen Everything Now 67
whered it go Apr 30 Seen Everything Now 4
Miracle meadows land Apr 23 square dancer 2
Woman beater Gary Underwood Apr '15 Boo Boo Child 4
More from around the web