Mother upset that kids' school begins...

Mother upset that kids' school begins before sales tax holiday

There are 8 comments on the WSMV-TV Nashville story from Jul 26, 2011, titled Mother upset that kids' school begins before sales tax holiday. In it, WSMV-TV Nashville reports that:

A Dickson County mother has a plan she believes the state should consider so everyone can take advantage of the sales tax holiday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WSMV-TV Nashville.

Carla Trotter

United States

#1 Jul 27, 2011
It has been this way ever since they started the no tax day. We haven't had a day yet so to speak. By the time the tax day arrives our kids are already in school and have had to have school supplies or take zeros on their work. I don't see where it has benefited us at all.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#2 Jul 27, 2011
Carla Trotter wrote:
It has been this way ever since they started the no tax day. We haven't had a day yet so to speak. By the time the tax day arrives our kids are already in school and have had to have school supplies or take zeros on their work. I don't see where it has benefited us at all.
Welcome to a democrat controlled state, the only people who can afford it are union workers, idiots who think unions are the answer, and those who can't read a Wall Street Journal.
Geez

Monroe, NC

#3 Jul 27, 2011
jonsey wrote:
<quoted text>Welcome to a democrat controlled state, the only people who can afford it are union workers, idiots who think unions are the answer, and those who can't read a Wall Street Journal.
I don't think this has anything to do with the state. Only 3 counties are starting days before the tax free holiday: Dickson, Maury, and Wilson. So I do believe you can blame your school board members/officials.
Yawnnnnnn

Dickson, TN

#4 Aug 1, 2011
jonsey wrote:
<quoted text>Welcome to a democrat controlled state, the only people who can afford it are union workers, idiots who think unions are the answer, and those who can't read a Wall Street Journal.
Since you are so very smart...figure out how to rent a U-Haul and haul yourself to a better state. Another problem solved.
Solution

Nashville, TN

#5 Aug 4, 2011
Just buy the basics paper, pencil etc until the tax holiday rolls around then load up
babynurse

Clarksville, TN

#7 Aug 25, 2011
It's not difficult to know that each year the basic supplies such as paper, pencils, crayons, markers, etc. are required. I stock pile these items each year during the tax holiday and throughout the year.
The majority of the counties schools do not start more than a few days before the tax free day, surely your child could manage until then.
As for the 'blame game' why is everyone so quick to blame school boards and the government and anyone but themselves? It is the parent's responsibility to have a pencil, paper and the basics for their child for the beginning of school.
Most schools mail the school supply list for the next year with the child's report card--or it can be picked up at school, or even listed online on the school website.
Just another example of common sense. Wonder if it would be tax exempt if it could be bought?
ang

United States

#8 Aug 31, 2011
It doesn't matter anyway... the biggest retailers Jack their prices up on the sales tax holiday... Last year, a week before the holiday... Walmart had notebooks for .27 cents, the week of the holiday....99 cents. Save more money by paying sales tax on .27
_Unions really_

Bolivar, MO

#9 Sep 1, 2011
Generally the only people that speak THAT badly about the unions are the ones that don't have a job belonging to one. Jealousy is a common thread here I believe. You freaking IDIOT...the lack of unions and the pathetic wages you people are suffering from is exactly why the unions were formed. People cannot afford to send their kid's to school because their income is so low and you are bitching to promote MORE NON-union wages?? For shit sakes....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dickson County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Like North Korea in Dickson county Aug 24 Jim 1
Did you idiots really ban the American Flag Aug 23 I_cant_tolerate_s... 1
Dickson County Music Thread (Sep '13) May '15 Musikologist 7
News Trail cold for suspect 2 months after murder (Oct '09) Apr '15 Big Sis 7
News Holley new Dickson city judge (Aug '06) Feb '15 Blah crocked 6
News Father shot during scuffle with kids' stepfather (Nov '12) Jan '15 Interested 59
News TDOT delays I-40 improvements in Madison County (Oct '14) Oct '14 Flustrated 1
More from around the web