White Power Event Leads To State Of E...

White Power Event Leads To State Of Emergency

There are 38 comments on the WAPT-TV Jackson story from Nov 3, 2008, titled White Power Event Leads To State Of Emergency. In it, WAPT-TV Jackson reports that:

DeSoto County will operate under a state of emergency beginning Friday as part of a white power conference scheduled in Olive Branch beginning this weekend.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WAPT-TV Jackson.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
rightsforrights

Olive Branch, MS

#1 Nov 3, 2008
In a day and age when we are suppose to put our racial division aside, everyone wants to get up in arms with a group wanting to hold a convention in Olive Branch, but because they represent whites they are perceived as perpetrators of violates. On the other hand, the Black Panthers can have a conference in Jackson TN and little is even said about it. Now where is the equality in that?
Well said

Little Rock, AR

#2 Nov 3, 2008
It's because there will ALWAYS be a racial divide. Courtesy of the black man who can't let go. If it's anything that operates around white people, it's automatically racist. If it's an african-american rally, a hispanic rally or convention of any kind, it's not news because it's "equality". REALLY?

It's okay, because it gives them a voice. White people on the other hand, have apparently already had their voices heard (heavy on the sarcasm) therefore, we aren't allowed to speak anymore.
BetterToKnow

Korea

#3 Nov 3, 2008
Though you do have somewhat of a point, let me ask you something. Where white people arms binded, strung up by their necks for 400 years and forced to watch their daughters and mothers raped while their fathers backs where beaten until they resembled tree branches? No I don't think so rightsforrights, so don't make a comparison of groups like the KKK that were the very ones carrying out the violent acts that I just mentioned. Though Black Panthers may have gotten excessive at times, they still only bore arms (carried weapons) because during those times the KKK weren't exactly looking for conversation or to make friends. Still the Black Panthers were more around to defend than to harm and to uplift the communities more than to taint it as did the KKK.
Dixie

Olive Branch, MS

#4 Nov 4, 2008
I am a white 60 year old feamale. I am embarassed to no end to even be connected to a city that would allow a "white power" event. It should be totally outlawed. I don't care who you support, but this type of activity by any group (that is motivated by race) should not be allowed. Especially, a white power group. Judge people for what they are, not the color of their skin.
disgusted

Arlington, TN

#5 Nov 4, 2008
The KKK being together still is not only a slap in the face to african americans, but to white, hispanic, Jewish, and every other nationality in this great country of ours. And, why are they picking now to come together openly? Because we may have a black president? Does it not make anyone else nervous? They have the right to free speech, they are meeting in Olive Branch. No one is stopping them, but they expect to be watched like hawks. Is they don't they are fools! We don't need the kind of caos they comes from a riot here in Mississippi.
gjones7777

Tupelo, MS

#6 Nov 4, 2008
the Klan is made up of mostly ignorant jackasses and if you dont know that then you have your head up your ass! BUT.......at least for now this is STILL America and even ignorant asses have the RIGHT to hold a peaceful rally. That's what the Constitution says........ever read it? SO if you don't like the Klan then tell them. Do it peacefully and voice your opinions. BUT DON'T EVER EVER SAY THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE THE CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO SPEAK. The right to speak freely even for ignorant jackasses is what makes our country unique in all of history!
LOL

West Memphis, AR

#7 Nov 4, 2008
BetterToKnow wrote:
Though you do have somewhat of a point, let me ask you something. Where white people arms binded, strung up by their necks for 400 years and forced to watch their daughters and mothers raped while their fathers backs where beaten until they resembled tree branches? No I don't think so rightsforrights, so don't make a comparison of groups like the KKK that were the very ones carrying out the violent acts that I just mentioned. Though Black Panthers may have gotten excessive at times, they still only bore arms (carried weapons) because during those times the KKK weren't exactly looking for conversation or to make friends. Still the Black Panthers were more around to defend than to harm and to uplift the communities more than to taint it as did the KKK.
Ooh, that's right....I FORGOT. Because of history, that means every white person from here to eternity will FOREVER be held accountable? F*CK you dude....I don't owe you or anyone else a damn thing, I didn't have anything to do with what happened in the deep south, that has nothing to do with me. As soon as black people UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT THAT, they will always be a racial divide, because the ignorant ghetto thugs of today, EXPECT someone to give them handouts because their ancestors suffered. SCREW THAT. If anyone's owed anything, it's is anyone and everyone who suffered at the hands of the ignorant, NOT the lazy no goods of today. Put that in a crackpipe and smoke it.
nervous

Olive Branch, MS

#8 Nov 4, 2008
GOD HELP US ALL!!!
cmill28

Memphis, TN

#9 Nov 4, 2008
I understand what you are saying. Living in the south my whole life all we learned about was how hard the black community had it for so many years. I know that was a long time ago and that there were many things that were done wrong. Looking at our time we live in even if no one wants to admit it everything is driven by race. Like this election. I dont know of one black person going to vote for McCain. However I know of one 1 or 2 whites going to vote for Obama. We do need to look for the things that are good and right in people and things. The Black and White mess needs to end because it was a long time ago and we dont live in the past. if you cant forget about that stuff and know that my mother not I did anything to your family or race then I should not reap what My Great grandparents did. The more and more the black race pushes for equality the more and more they are sewing the white races mouths shut.
BetterToKnow wrote:
cmill28

Memphis, TN

#10 Nov 4, 2008
LOL...a little harsh but true
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
Ooh, that's right....I FORGOT. Because of history, that means every white person from here to eternity will FOREVER be held accountable? F*CK you dude....I don't owe you or anyone else a damn thing, I didn't have anything to do with what happened in the deep south, that has nothing to do with me. As soon as black people UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT THAT, they will always be a racial divide, because the ignorant ghetto thugs of today, EXPECT someone to give them handouts because their ancestors suffered. SCREW THAT. If anyone's owed anything, it's is anyone and everyone who suffered at the hands of the ignorant, NOT the lazy no goods of today. Put that in a crackpipe and smoke it.
BetterToKnow

Korea

#11 Nov 4, 2008
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes that's typical. Leave it up to you and we would wipe all history clean. Well why is it that you wish to remember so badly... I mean so bad enough to put it in our history books that we teach our kids with those books that list and praise those same slave traders as the ones that the books claim discovered this country and other countries (that they actually didn't discover, but actually murdered people inorder to obtain), we claim they built this America (when actually they built it off the sweat and blood of others), and they governed its laws (which legalized every bit of the blood shed and racism they created) and we all praise everything they've done still today by allowing people like you to live their LIE. Ask yourself, if we still praise the history books that leave out the truth, if we still praise the statues of the admitted slave owners and racists known popular in America and abroad, if we still deny everything in our history then who are we really? No one is saying that you owe any ethnic group, but one thing that you do owe is decency enough to not try to act as if it was nothing wrong done. Also we are very aware that ethnic groups have moved on from the very bloody paths that they have come from, but at the same time there are still things that have never been properly addressed and I repeat properly acknowledged or properly serviced to those who were effected by the undeniably horrific experience which whether you like it or not that was passed on to others in behavior and traits today.

If you still don't understand think about this, if a man/woman commits murder today of any race they are asked to do jail time and then serve an ample amount, even years of community service and probation. So what has been done for the 400 years of most deepest most darkest and most deadliest times in America. Have we tried to understand or have we tried to do anything close to community service for the descendants of the ancestors who were forced to deal with the tragic and horrendous years before. IT SHOULD AT LEAST BE OPEN TO DISCUSSION AND NOT THE DOOR CLOSED AND SWEPT UNDER THE RUG AS YOU ARE HINTING.

Wallstreet collapsed we give them a $700 billion dollar bail-out. The banks have hard times we give them tax breaks and a $300 billion dollar bailout. They're even talking about now finally helping the ordinary people who are going through crisis with their bills due to all the mess. So the government messed up and the people deserve something for it, right?

However, I don't expect you to understand because your crackpipe comment was obviously coming from an ignorant mindframe and one close to that of racism.
LOL

West Memphis, AR

#12 Nov 4, 2008
See, that's where you're wrong. Not ONE TIME did I imply to sweep it under the rug and pretend it didn't happen. What I'm saying is this, I have NO PROBLEM whatsoever making amends for histories mistakes. However, do NOT come at me as if I owe it to you because I'm white and you're black. I'm sorry, but I don't "owe" anyone, anything. The only people I "owe" anything to, are my parents and my child. I owe them the respect they deserve and I owe it to them to prove that they raised me right and did their job well. That is IT. I owe my daughter a life she deserves, I owe it to her to teach her right from wrong, so that she doesn't make the same mistakes as everyone else. I owe it to her to provide for her and make sure she gets a decent education. I don't "owe" black people anything, simply because of what their ancestors suffered through.
If to you, that is wanting to sweep it under the rug, then you my friend are the one with a chip on your shoulder. There are many other ethnic groups who suffered at the hands of others, far WORSE than anything your ancestors could EVER have imagined. yet, at the same time, I don't see them on the forefront attempting to make everyone feel guilty for it. I don't see them in my face telling me I'm a "racist white b*tch". I don't see their kids taunting my daughter at school and demanding "respect" because they are black. You have GOT to be kidding me.

So I say it like this....until black people PROVE to me that they deserve my respect and willingness to help rectify and right a wrong, then I'm gonna sit back and watch you all run yourselves into the ground. If you want my help it preventing history from repeating itself, then you have to work with me on closing that racial divide. If you want us all to be happy and get along, then black people need to go about it differently.

I have friends from ALL, and I mean ALL, walks of life. Black, white, mexican, jewish, chinese, gay, straight, bisexual, fat, skinny, you name it. I love them all for who they are, NOT what they look like. Yet at the same time, even my BLACK friends have said this, it's the african american community who keeps the pot stirred up. I'm not asking anyone to forget anything, I'm asking that you get rid of the chip on your shoulder and realize that you're doing more harm than good, and for your OWN cause.

As for the crack pipe comment, it wasn't racist, not in the least. However, I see that it did get your attention, which is exactly what I was aiming for.:)

Senatobia, MS

#13 Nov 4, 2008
test
Roxy

Collierville, TN

#14 Nov 4, 2008
Fist, I don't agree with the 'white power' mentality. The wouldn't announce their arrival if they were coming to cause trouble or kill anyone. sheesh!!! Get a grip on life people. I doubt if we would have this kind of stupid over reaction to a convention held by, the radical and racist, Louis Farrakhan. Of course not, he's black and there's that double standard blacks have about, if it's their race it is okay.

Are the same people who are so bent out of shape about this conference going to have a hissy when Obama invites one of his 'radical' friends or preacher to the White House?

This is the USA and whether you agree with someone's belief or not, they have the right to their opinion.
Roxy

Collierville, TN

#15 Nov 4, 2008
BetterToKnow wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes that's typical. Leave it up to you and we would wipe all history clean. Well why is it that you wish to remember so badly... I mean so bad enough to put it in our history books that we teach our kids with those books that list and praise those same slave traders as the ones that the books claim discovered this country and other countries (that they actually didn't discover, but actually murdered people inorder to obtain), we claim they built this America (when actually they built it off the sweat and blood of others), and they governed its laws (which legalized every bit of the blood shed and racism they created) and we all praise everything they've done still today by allowing people like you to live their LIE. Ask yourself, if we still praise the history books that leave out the truth, if we still praise the statues of the admitted slave owners and racists known popular in America and abroad, if we still deny everything in our history then who are we really? No one is saying that you owe any ethnic group, but one thing that you do owe is decency enough to not try to act as if it was nothing wrong done. Also we are very aware that ethnic groups have moved on from the very bloody paths that they have come from, but at the same time there are still things that have never been properly addressed and I repeat properly acknowledged or properly serviced to those who were effected by the undeniably horrific experience which whether you like it or not that was passed on to others in behavior and traits today.
If you still don't understand think about this, if a man/woman commits murder today of any race they are asked to do jail time and then serve an ample amount, even years of community service and probation. So what has been done for the 400 years of most deepest most darkest and most deadliest times in America. Have we tried to understand or have we tried to do anything close to community service for the descendants of the ancestors who were forced to deal with the tragic and horrendous years before. IT SHOULD AT LEAST BE OPEN TO DISCUSSION AND NOT THE DOOR CLOSED AND SWEPT UNDER THE RUG AS YOU ARE HINTING.
Wallstreet collapsed we give them a $700 billion dollar bail-out. The banks have hard times we give them tax breaks and a $300 billion dollar bailout. They're even talking about now finally helping the ordinary people who are going through crisis with their bills due to all the mess. So the government messed up and the people deserve something for it, right?
However, I don't expect you to understand because your crackpipe comment was obviously coming from an ignorant mindframe and one close to that of racism.
The past is what is known as 'history'. Many generations have long since had freedom to do what they want. It's time to stop trying to get 'freebies' from what happened long ago. Get over it and accept all of the great opportunities offered.(which go ignored by many who sit back and would rather whine.)
Equality for Obama

Southaven, MS

#16 Nov 4, 2008
"What happened long ago," Roxy?
You've no idea the number of people I've heard say they will not vote for Obama in the election because they don't want a black man as president. Having made a career in Human Resources, you've no idea the number of black applicants I've seen turned down for jobs for which they were qualified for no reason other than their race. Those of you who think racism doesn't exist are living an illusion. Are black people racist too? Yes, they are. But let us not pretent they are living on a pretense that no longer exists or their anger is no longer merited, because that is blatantly untrue. Open your eyes and you will see it.
Roxy

Collierville, TN

#17 Nov 4, 2008
Equality for Obama wrote:
"What happened long ago," Roxy?
You've no idea the number of people I've heard say they will not vote for Obama in the election because they don't want a black man as president. Having made a career in Human Resources, you've no idea the number of black applicants I've seen turned down for jobs for which they were qualified for no reason other than their race. Those of you who think racism doesn't exist are living an illusion. Are black people racist too? Yes, they are. But let us not pretent they are living on a pretense that no longer exists or their anger is no longer merited, because that is blatantly untrue. Open your eyes and you will see it.
My eyes are wide open and there are just as many hired/promoted BECAUSE they are black. Racists exist...so does constant whinning and wanting a free pass for one thing or another. Opportunities are there for ALL....the whinning is old!
Blackman1 Memphis

Memphis, TN

#18 Nov 4, 2008
I think it is so easy for white people to dismiss the actions of the civil rights era as just history and black folks should learn to move on or “forgive and forget”. I am a child of the civil rights movement my parents both were denied rights. My father only went to school in the spring because his father my grandfather was a sharecropper, and his father was born into slavery. Now think about that I’m only 35 years old. What you call history I can pick up a cell phone and hear details about as if it happened yesterday. Now that being said the same mother and father are both college educated, and my family lives a very comfortable life but as a country we have a long way to go!! Some of my best friends are white LOL
Equality for Obama

Southaven, MS

#19 Nov 4, 2008
If it's merited, it's not considered whining. It sounds to me like you're whining about people wanting to bring racism to light--particularly racism towards African-Americans.

And, again, being backed by many years in HR, I strongly disagree with your assertion that blacks benefit from preferential treatment more than they suffer from racism.
Roxy

Collierville, TN

#20 Nov 4, 2008
Equality for Obama wrote:
If it's merited, it's not considered whining. It sounds to me like you're whining about people wanting to bring racism to light--particularly racism towards African-Americans.
And, again, being backed by many years in HR, I strongly disagree with your assertion that blacks benefit from preferential treatment more than they suffer from racism.
No one needs to bring racism to light especially against blacks. It always goes there needlessly. You may disagree all that you please. I've worked and seen the promotions and hirings. Again, this is the USA and opinions are part of life. That includes groups.......not that I have to agree with any.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Desoto County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Andrew Brant Ray Feb '17 Identitywithheld 2
News Billy Wheater captured (Mar '12) Feb '17 LADY SHAY 10
4 shot in DeSoto County, shooter in custody (Nov '16) Nov '16 openmind693 1
Desoto County Arrest Records and Criminal Mugs... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Ava 2
News Mississippi Supreme Court narrowly grants same-... (Nov '15) Nov '15 SirAndrew 2
News Bicycle trail coming to Olive Branch City Park (Dec '14) Dec '14 MrDesoto1 1
Evan watts (Dec '14) Dec '14 guest 1
More from around the web