Mayor Proposes Soft Drink Tax to Figh...

Mayor Proposes Soft Drink Tax to Fight Obesity

There are 33 comments on the WREG story from Dec 30, 2009, titled Mayor Proposes Soft Drink Tax to Fight Obesity. In it, WREG reports that:

DeSoto County, MS - FAST FACTS: Mississippi had 982 million in obesity related costs last year "Sugared" soft drinks provide calories, not nutrients Tax would only apply to drinks sweetened with corn sweetener or sugar, not to juices Dennis.turner@wreg.com Hernando Mayor Chip Johnson is pushing the idea of a tax on sugared drinks as a way to shift ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WREG.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
AJB

Olive Branch, MS

#21 Dec 31, 2009
GOVERNMENT DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOU!This is all about money.Nothing else whatsoever!
Volsfan

Wildersville, TN

#22 Dec 31, 2009
ok so to me it sounds like this Mayor is stereotyping everyone just because others are overweight. Thats not fair...and Im sure there could be some kind of discrimanation to this. Its not his place to say wether people are over weight or not and to even use that excuse is crazy! Ok if that is the case...then tax the fruits and vegetables for all those skinny health nuts.
LMAO

Bean Station, TN

#23 Dec 31, 2009
Koolaid,Yahoo Choc,Grape Soda,32s and 40s,Screwtop wine that ought to cover it.
Lynne

United States

#24 Dec 31, 2009
Jessica wrote:
Hey water is free fat-os!!
It's also contaminated, just like the air we breathe. What's your point?
Lynne

United States

#25 Dec 31, 2009
Why stop at soft drinks? They aren't the only "foods" that contributes to obesity.

What about the sugar-laden cereals, snack cakes, candy bars (candy in general) fruit snacks and all processed foods?
smarternow

United States

#26 Dec 31, 2009
reduce obesity by elimanating certain items that can be "purchased" through the "food stamp" program. Soda drinks, chips, cookies, ice cream, junk food.
Lynne

United States

#27 Dec 31, 2009
smarternow wrote:
reduce obesity by elimanating certain items that can be "purchased" through the "food stamp" program. Soda drinks, chips, cookies, ice cream, junk food.
Amen!
Connected

Memphis, TN

#28 Dec 31, 2009
Yes lets be the state with the lowest tax on cigarettes and tax soda. After all sugar is much more dangerous than ingesting nicotine, ammonia, arsenic and all the wonderful good for you other hundreds of chemicals. Guess the soda makers better play catch up to all the tobacco lobbyists.
once upon a fatso

Arlington, TN

#29 Dec 31, 2009
What in the hell does this guy think he is doing? Are they taxing the people right out of Mississippi? all in the name of good health? so they want to penalize everyone for some peoples poor choices. Lets start with the parents teaching good eating habits!!!I use to be almost 400 lbs and I did not get that way from drinking sodas. I am now 150 and it required dedication and some hard work. I am one of the laziest people in the world but if I can do it anyone else can also.
Cindy

Nesbit, MS

#30 Jan 4, 2010
What's going to be next? Bacon.. The list could go on and on and on. You can't change a life stye by taxing the citizens to death.
I have a Great Idea, why don't you tax BOOZE...Look at all the revenue you would have made on New Year's Eve..
Dwight Bordelon

United States

#31 Jan 4, 2010
I am appalled. The USA once stood for individual freedom. My country is falling apart at the hands of politicians who seek to increase their power no matter what the cost.

If you are not free to choose what you drink, what do you suppose is next?

God help us all.
Studmonkey

United States

#32 Jan 4, 2010
Cindy wrote:
What's going to be next? Bacon.. The list could go on and on and on. You can't change a life stye by taxing the citizens to death.
I have a Great Idea, why don't you tax BOOZE...Look at all the revenue you would have made on New Year's Eve..
I think they already tax booze! Maybe they should just tax everything, that way they get us all!
Doctor

Milan, TN

#33 Jan 4, 2010
want to loose weight, the FDA should put it to where we should pay $1.00 per 100 calories, either you will be fat and have no money, or skinny

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Desoto County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Landers dodge Dec '17 Just saying 1
News Billy Wheater captured (Mar '12) Sep '17 real truth 11
Andrew Brant Ray (Feb '17) Feb '17 Identitywithheld 2
4 shot in DeSoto County, shooter in custody (Nov '16) Nov '16 openmind693 1
Desoto County Arrest Records and Criminal Mugs... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Ava 2
News Mississippi Supreme Court narrowly grants same-... (Nov '15) Nov '15 SirAndrew 2
News Bicycle trail coming to Olive Branch City Park (Dec '14) Dec '14 MrDesoto1 1