Mayor Proposes Soft Drink Tax to Fight Obesity

Full story: WREG 33
DeSoto County, MS - FAST FACTS: Mississippi had 982 million in obesity related costs last year "Sugared" soft drinks provide calories, not nutrients Tax would only apply to drinks sweetened with corn sweetener or sugar, not to juices Dennis.turner@wreg.com Hernando Mayor Chip Johnson is pushing the idea of a tax on sugared drinks as a way to shift ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jessica

Collierville, TN

#1 Dec 30, 2009
Hey water is free fat-os!!
Sam Gould

Olive Branch, MS

#2 Dec 30, 2009
That boy, Johnson, needes to tend to his own rat-killing, and booted out of office next election, as well. . .
Nathan

United States

#3 Dec 30, 2009
I say tax the high fructose corn syrup crap more. It's proven to be considerably more detrimental to your health than plain sugar.
Michael C

Brownsville, TN

#4 Dec 30, 2009
I live in Tennessee and this is the dumbest thing I have ever heard if you tax soft drinks because of sugar then you need to raise taxes on just about anything a human eats im not saying the drinks aren't related to obesity but it sure isn't the cause. hears an idea that might work make an extra effort to ask or tell people hey put down that cupcake or twinkie get out and move a little. plain and simple soft drinks have sugar, pork chops cause high blood presure from grease,eggs cause high colestrol. I mean crap mayor get a clue nothing people eat anymore is good for them if it was good for us we wouldn't eat it cause it would taste like card board. My question is this I know for sure our goverment don't care what we eat or what we drink they just don't care so whats the real reason for the wanna be tax is there a new BMW you like or maybe a new house tell the truth please you could be the first politicion in history if you just told the truth.
Thank You
Studmonkey

United States

#5 Dec 30, 2009
As a child way back in 1957 soft drinks where 6 cents. Then around 1960 they jumped up to 10 cents. Now there around 1 dollar. So it seems it hasn't stopped anyone from drinking soft drinks yet. Go figure!
LeftrHander

Memphis, TN

#6 Dec 30, 2009
This is overdue. Of course high fructose corn syrup is bad for you. So is booze and there are special taxes on it. Same principle. And I don't buy in to people needing to "make an extra effort" to tell them why they are being unhealthy. No one is that dense as to think that excessive soft drink consumption is not bad for you. Excessive amounts of anything is bad for you, and so something must be done. You can't reason with people -you need to hit them in the wallet. I hope the fact this proposal is backed up with numbers to justify it will convince people it's worth it. I'm tired of paying for others' bad decisions.
chas

Cordova, TN

#7 Dec 30, 2009
Maybe if politicians would spend less time thinking of ways to steal from us they would have more time to accomplish something in the common good.
MEE

Cordova, TN

#8 Dec 30, 2009
Well, I think if he is going to tax soft drinks with sugar in them he should also tax sugar and everything in the sugar family. I agree obesity needs to be gotten under control. Like the story say though, you can not tax the everage man for everything!
momof3

United States

#9 Dec 30, 2009
These are people that should all be voted out of officr on the next election. Absolute idiots that have nothing better to do with their time than to think of some other way to raise taxes on people. I am overweight and do not drink soft drinks. There are many this healthy people that do. So, how exactly is this helping the "obesity problem"?!!! Seriously, these people are jekrs.
momof3

United States

#10 Dec 30, 2009
LeftrHander wrote:
This is overdue. Of course high fructose corn syrup is bad for you. So is booze and there are special taxes on it. Same principle. And I don't buy in to people needing to "make an extra effort" to tell them why they are being unhealthy. No one is that dense as to think that excessive soft drink consumption is not bad for you. Excessive amounts of anything is bad for you, and so something must be done. You can't reason with people -you need to hit them in the wallet. I hope the fact this proposal is backed up with numbers to justify it will convince people it's worth it. I'm tired of paying for others' bad decisions.
you are a real jerk - I am sure you domn't do anything that is a ba idea do you?!!
Matt

Mandeville, LA

#11 Dec 30, 2009
what about those who drink these drinks and will never be obese? This is another money grab, its a baseless unrepresented tax. This is going on all over the country, they are trying to balance budget shortfalls by getting every penny out of the voters they can. Note to government, you have to stop spending money like no tomorrow, you have to cut your size and scope, you have to contract in staff and salaries, eventually the people will say enough is enough and anarchy will rule the day. I am tired of spending tax dollars on departments and regulation that do nothing for me, I am tired of paying taxes just to have it wasted and stolen, I am tired of these two bit politicians and their crappy self serving Ideas. Go get a real job Mr. Johnson, you are obviouslt too ignorant for your own good and your job.
Poppax3

United States

#12 Dec 30, 2009
What a idiot. Everytime government gets screwed up due to mismanagement the solution is to impose a new tax. If you want to ta the heck out of something that truely does hurt a lot of people i should be anything containing alcohol. I am not in favor of any new taxes but if they have to tax something make it alcohol.
desotoguy

Memphis, TN

#13 Dec 30, 2009
This is more BS from Chip. He claims to be a conservative but is really a marxist in disguise.
Desoto Girl

Hernando, MS

#14 Dec 30, 2009
Extra taxes for soft drinks? Really?! How about extra taxes for butter or frying oil? It is no secret how bad southern food is for you. How about extra taxes at KFC? Or make the people who get food stamps actually pay the taxes on their food themselves. This is a senseless way for the government to steal more money away from us. Soft drinks are not making us fat. Being lazy and drive thrus are making us fat!
Paul

Jackson, TN

#15 Dec 30, 2009
Tax on Cigs, now soft drinks. What's next tax on the air we breathe.
K Clay

Fpo, AP

#16 Dec 30, 2009
I have to agree that this is crazy! Extra taxes on soft drinks...this is such a joke. I am no where close to being obese. I really don't think this will fly!We pay too much taxes as it is! Leave people's money that they have worked for alone!!!
marlin

Memphis, TN

#17 Dec 31, 2009
it not the drinks or the people it more money for them to spend on thing like pork
Sam

Pearlington, MS

#18 Dec 31, 2009
This guy sounds smart. So no one in this city will buy soda anymore. they will simply go somewhere else to buy. Whats next you will pay an extra tax at fast food places.
Jen

Collierville, TN

#19 Dec 31, 2009
Why doesn't the mayor propose a really HIGH tax on liquor so we can try to keep some of these drunken idiots off the streets!! Families suffer much more from drunks than they do overweight people.

I wonder what the liquor companies have on politicians?? Hmmm.
What the

Memphis, TN

#20 Dec 31, 2009
Look, I'm all for helping people, but this is ridiculous. Why should I, again, have to pay for someone else's problems? If I need to lose weight I PUT DOWN THE FORK! The burden of taxpayers should not carry the "weight" of the lazy. If the government wants to get involved, tell the fat a$$e$ to lose the weight or don't give them assistance. It's a simple plan, but at least those of us who know how to take care of ourselves won't have to pay for it. It's boneheaded ideas like this that make that commercial about New Zealand look more and more enticing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Desoto County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bicycle trail coming to Olive Branch City Park Dec 16 MrDesoto1 1
Evan watts Dec 2 guest 1
SBA approves Bryant's request for assistance to... Sep '14 Kimberly Johnson 1
jessica m jones (Jun '14) Jun '14 xcoworker 1
Daniel Ray Holt of Gulfport arrested for molest... (Jun '14) Jun '14 News 1
Billy Wheater captured (Mar '12) Feb '14 chief enforcer 7
places (Jan '14) Jan '14 coach bb 1
More from around the web