Group asks DeSoto County schools to h...

Group asks DeSoto County schools to halt prayers at athletic events, graduations

There are 33 comments on the Memphis Commercial Appeal story from Aug 18, 2011, titled Group asks DeSoto County schools to halt prayers at athletic events, graduations. In it, Memphis Commercial Appeal reports that:

The Freedom From Religion Foundation has issued a letter of complaint to DeSoto County Schools objecting to prayers at athletic events and high school graduations.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Memphis Commercial Appeal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Yeah Right

Raeford, NC

#22 Aug 28, 2011
Mr. Desoto 1 I am sorry but that is hard to believe. There is someone in EVERY one of these large organizations that is out to make money or to be in the public eye, but they say they are not so they get the money or attention. They either get money from the organization or they use the notoriety they got to write books or get paid for appearances as experts.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#23 Aug 28, 2011
Yeah Right wrote:
Mr. Desoto 1 I am sorry but that is hard to believe. There is someone in EVERY one of these large organizations that is out to make money or to be in the public eye, but they say they are not so they get the money or attention. They either get money from the organization or they use the notoriety they got to write books or get paid for appearances as experts.
FFRF is funded by donations. They make no money from lawsuits.

"FFRF is a 501(c)(3) educational charity whose vital and laudatory purposes include working to preserve and protect the Constitutional principle of separation between state and church. Since being founded nationally in 1978, we have diligently championed the rights of literally thousands of students and their parents. These cases involve public school districts that have unlawfully taken advantage of their civil authority to impose religion whether prayer, religious instruction, bible creationism or other endorsements or promotions upon a captive audience of impressionable and vulnerable students."

“Reason's Greetings!”

Pale Blue Dot

#24 Aug 28, 2011
Yeah Right wrote:
Making money from a book deal ans/or from getting attention is not illegal. Dan Barker and Annie Laurie Gaylor, the two Co-Presidents of the Freedom From Religion Foundation, have broken no laws. The Desoto County School Superintendent has knowingly violated the U.S. Constitution and his own Desoto County School Policies since 2008. And now he is a know liar, all in the name of the christian religion, no less. Isn't that a fine example to set for the children under his influence!!
I know Milton

Memphis, TN

#25 Aug 28, 2011
he is an azzhole in denial...I also know his daughter...along with her "friends"...he should shut up...and sit down. I went to church with him, before I was enlightened.
Yeah Right

Raeford, NC

#26 Aug 28, 2011
Ok believe what you want and I will believe what I want. I never said they broke the law I was just pointing out there are people in every organization who jump on board and tote the flag for their benefit, not necessarily for the benefit for the group. This includes the Tea Party, Republican Party, Democratic Party, NAACP, ACLU, NRA, most unions and I am sure FFRF. They all claim to be there for their cause but each one has shown it has some members in it for the money that can be made or notoriety they can get.
sure

Memphis, TN

#27 Aug 29, 2011
ummm..are you done with your worthlesss babble yet?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#28 Aug 30, 2011
People can protest this all they want to but it's not going to change anything. What's done is done so get over it and move along with your life. You can pray all you want, just not over the loudspeakers. So start praying that you can't pray over loudspeakers at school events.
haha

Memphis, TN

#29 Aug 30, 2011
yep..pray that you are allowed to pray over the loudspeaker...getting on every normal thinkers last nerve.

Location hidden

#30 Aug 30, 2011
Why so much praying anyway? I mean I'm thankful for what I have and everything but why do people have to pray about every little thing? Is it that they are scared? Uncertain? I just don't understand.
idiots

Memphis, TN

#31 Aug 30, 2011
They think they are cramming for the final exam.

Location hidden

#32 Aug 30, 2011
idiots wrote:
They think they are cramming for the final exam.
LMAO, I think you hit the nail on the head.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Pale Blue Dot

#33 Aug 30, 2011
FYI:

The Commercial Appeal's latest editorial:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/aug...
time to get busy

Louisville, KY

#34 May 8, 2012
I have filed a complaint to the Mississippi Fed court house in the aspects that The Freedom From Religion Foundation has violated my right to Freedom of speach. It is best they move forward, not everyone wants to be apart of there Freedom from Religion. They have been sued before and lost so times to bring them to justice here in Mississippi.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Desoto County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Landers dodge Dec '17 Just saying 1
News Billy Wheater captured (Mar '12) Sep '17 real truth 11
Andrew Brant Ray (Feb '17) Feb '17 Identitywithheld 2
4 shot in DeSoto County, shooter in custody (Nov '16) Nov '16 openmind693 1
Desoto County Arrest Records and Criminal Mugs... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Ava 2
News Mississippi Supreme Court narrowly grants same-... (Nov '15) Nov '15 SirAndrew 2
News Bicycle trail coming to Olive Branch City Park (Dec '14) Dec '14 MrDesoto1 1
More from around the web