Group asks DeSoto County schools to h...

Group asks DeSoto County schools to halt prayers at athletic events, graduations

There are 33 comments on the Memphis Commercial Appeal story from Aug 18, 2011, titled Group asks DeSoto County schools to halt prayers at athletic events, graduations. In it, Memphis Commercial Appeal reports that:

The Freedom From Religion Foundation has issued a letter of complaint to DeSoto County Schools objecting to prayers at athletic events and high school graduations.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Memphis Commercial Appeal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Kelsi B

United States

#1 Aug 19, 2011
In my 4 years of living here In olive branch and being a highschool student I have never been so infuriated with the restraints and rules we must obied by here. This is the most rediculous unheard of and most of all UN CALLED FOR rule! Why should we not be able to pray before games and GRADUATION?? In my oppinion and many others, this should be done away with and never thought of again. What about the people who take affence to not praying? Why should they givd up there freedom?? The people who have complained should simply GET OVER IT! They dont have anymore rights that the beleivers!!
you are not smart

Memphis, TN

#2 Aug 20, 2011
hence you need laws to prevent you from hurtng yourself...and others. I bet you will have a job with your name on your shirt.
This is why you need that prayer, because you do not have a chance in hell of getting a real job.
Pray all you want...if you have a prayer..I can hold a prayer vigil with a bunch of muslims in your football field...at your gradation. Eye for an eye.

Ps...that education sure is working...LMAO
Abide...
ridiculous
uncalled...one word mmkay!?
opinion
offense
givd??? no clue
believers
you are not smart

Memphis, TN

#3 Aug 20, 2011
if you spent as much time studying as you do praying to a mysterious being(that may or may not exist)... people might belive you.
I have rights too

Raeford, NC

#4 Aug 22, 2011
Ok they don’t want a prayer before any school function because one separation of church and state, 2 because they don’t believe and it offends them. Well first there is a separation of church and state the church is controlling the government and that is what that means. It never has in the US that is pretty obvious by the people in office all over the country. Second it offends me as a Christian and my fellow Christians that we are not allowed to have public prayers. I understand it is your right not to have public prayers but what about our rights to have one?
not true

Memphis, TN

#5 Aug 22, 2011
if you spread it to the public...you are infringing on my rights too. Not everyone deserves, or wants to hear you pray to a mysterious being...as it creeps some people out...ESPECIALLY those whom were molested by athorities in the churches. So do not believe that prayers and such are always connected to the people whom are good for society, as there are way too many wolves that wear the cloaks of christianity.
I have rights too

Raeford, NC

#6 Aug 22, 2011
That is my point stopping prayers infringe on my rights, which are the same rights as you base your opinion on, and I also see your side where you feel it is infringing on your rights. This is where people should become tolerant of others. If you chose not to believe or pray this is your choice, but you should not be able to stop those who want to. If you choose not to pray then that is your choice no complaint for me. I am not forcing my beliefs on you.

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

This country is very unique in that it does not support one religious belief, you have the rights to worship or not worship how you feel. Plus I am not saying someone who proclaims to be Christian or any other religious follower is better than someone who chooses not to follow a religion. I have seen hypocrites in the all areas of religion. But with that said I have seen the same in the non-believers. As far as criminal acts and just plain hatred for their fellow man on both sides.
can not do that

Memphis, TN

#7 Aug 23, 2011
in venues PAID for by the government...with MY (our)MONEY.

Keep your beliefs to yourself...sounds easy hugh?

If it is quiet....NOTHING IS PROMOTED OR DENIED.
Your own bible says that GOD hears quiet prayers...so why contaminate others with your stupidity? NOt all relgions pray the same, or want to beleve what others believe.

Bellevue Baptists are the worlds biggest Azz-holes and bigots...BY FAR!!!!!
I have rights too

Raeford, NC

#8 Aug 23, 2011
Once again tolerance for others is my point I can respond to your comments and you will or will not see what I am saying;
“in venues PAID for by the government...with MY (our)MONEY.”
Ok I get this one but it as you show it is my money too, so my share should be spent the way I want to see it spent not just your way. Plus because a school allows a prayer does not mean they are endorsing it, they don’t make you bow your head or be quiet.

“Keep your beliefs to yourself...sounds easy hugh?”
If it is quiet....NOTHING IS PROMOTED OR DENIED.
Your own bible says that GOD hears quiet prayers...so why contaminate others with your stupidity? Not all religions pray the same, or want to believe what others believe.

Why should I remain silent, with this rule you are pushing your belief. You feel my belief in God is stupid, but I would like to say I feel the same towards your belief but I don’t. I won’t judge you or ever feel my belief should be forced on you, how you spend eternity is totally up to you.
I am not

Memphis, TN

#9 Aug 24, 2011
promotng ANYTHING with silence...if you open your mouth, then you are breaking the law(by promotion of your god). Seems easy enough, right? Cut and dry.
I have rights too

Raeford, NC

#10 Aug 24, 2011
Okay what if I an an individual or as a group stood up and prayed allowed? I know this is splitting hairs but just curious how you feel about that.
infringement

Memphis, TN

#11 Aug 24, 2011
What if I fired up a joint? Would you mind?..in front of your kids? I do not have children(by choice) and as such, do not live as though I have them. It is freedom, for me to live like I do not have them, and you are discriminating against me, to expect that I live that way.
I have rights too

Raeford, NC

#12 Aug 24, 2011
Like I said I was just splitting hairs but to be truthful that was not a good comparison. An individual or a group not a part of the school system can say a prayer out loud. It is freedom of speech you can't silance that. The violation comes when it involves the school or school system. Now the joint is a violation of criminal law everywhere in MS. Now honestly I don'care if you smoke a joint there are alot bigger fish to fry in the world.
Ok so what about this

Memphis, TN

#13 Aug 24, 2011
It is legal in MANY states. What about there? As that is my point...what about places that have the laws that protect me?
I have rights too

Raeford, NC

#14 Aug 24, 2011
Nope not legal in NC or MS.
Ok so what about this

Memphis, TN

#15 Aug 25, 2011
neither is your BS prayer to a flying jew zombie.
I have freedom from religious stupidity.

Wake up sheeple. Ohn yes, we are in the bible belt, where the beltlines are larger than the avg IQ.
I have rights too

Raeford, NC

#16 Aug 25, 2011
Now now why so bitter were you not loved as a child or did some bully push you around. I am not questioning your beliefs why jab at mine. And again there is nothing illegal about me praying out loud it is called freedom of speech. The same one that lets you say what you want to say.
Anonymous

Memphis, TN

#18 Aug 25, 2011
As Rodney King once said: ca-ca-can't we all just get along?"

Why not have a moment of silence so that those who choose to pray may pray, and those who choose not to pray can do whatever it is they would like to do?

I am a Christian, but I know that under the U.S. Constitution, ALL of us have the right to practice whatever religion we choose. I would not like to sit through a Muslim prayer (talk about long winded!), so why would someone of another faith be forced to listen to a Christian prayer?

I seem to remember Jesus being very upset with the Pharisees for praying out loud on the street corners, and He said that prayer is to be private. If I am having a conversation with my Best Friend, I don't want the whole world listening in. Prayer, for me, is a private conversation with my Best Friend, during which I ask him to please bless my enemies, as well as my friends.
interesting

Memphis, TN

#19 Aug 25, 2011
and a great post. Thanks

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#20 Aug 27, 2011
And the xtain persecution complex continues.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#21 Aug 27, 2011
Besides knowingly breaking the law and purposely violating Desoto County School regulations since 2008, we now also have outright lies from Supt. Kuykendall:

“In my opinion, most people do not realize that this organization out of Wisconsin doesn’t really care if we have prayer in our schools. They see an opportunity to try and accuse us of breaking the law and therefore give them a chance to sue our district and win a law suit and take millions of our funds. This is money that is needed to pay teachers and educate our students.”

FFRF response:

"FFRF does not and has never made money, much less “millions,” in bringing litigation to halt illegal actions by irresponsible public officials who knowingly violate the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment. When FFRF wins a decision in our favor, FFRF may be eligible for reimbursement for attorney fees expended in defending the Constitution, as is proper. FFRF never receives full reimbursement for all of its time, fees and other expenses related to litigation. We do not sue to make money, we sue to uphold the Constitution. We do not take lawsuits to raise money (unlike many religious-right law firms). We raise money in order to bring lawsuits, as a last resort, if we cannot otherwise end constitutional violations. We do not sue for damages (with the exception of one of our litigants, a dad, who once asked for and received symbolic damages of $1 and deserved far more). We do not sue to “take millions” of your funds or any other school funds."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Desoto County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Andrew Brant Ray Feb '17 Identitywithheld 2
News Billy Wheater captured (Mar '12) Feb '17 LADY SHAY 10
4 shot in DeSoto County, shooter in custody (Nov '16) Nov '16 openmind693 1
Desoto County Arrest Records and Criminal Mugs... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Ava 2
News Mississippi Supreme Court narrowly grants same-... (Nov '15) Nov '15 SirAndrew 2
News Bicycle trail coming to Olive Branch City Park (Dec '14) Dec '14 MrDesoto1 1
Evan watts (Dec '14) Dec '14 guest 1
More from around the web