Inmate's death at Denver County Jail ...

Inmate's death at Denver County Jail ruled a homicide

There are 110 comments on the Fox 31 KDVR story from Aug 20, 2010, titled Inmate's death at Denver County Jail ruled a homicide. In it, Fox 31 KDVR reports that:

Sources tell FOX31 News that the death of a man in the Denver County Jail was ruled a homicide by the county coroner on Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox 31 KDVR.

Dan

Aurora, CO

#23 Aug 20, 2010
I agree Jody. It is better than playing the Lottery. All these concerned family members are just looking for a free hand out.

Ok let me get this straight. A homeless crack smoking transient whose family wont take him in gets arrested, acts crazy, dies of heart failure from all the crack smoking he did, and suddenly he has family members who didnt help him off the street coming downtown with protests and dollar signs in their eyes. This guy probably dealt crack and now he is a pastor and a hero? I dont feel sorry for him at all.
intheknow

Pueblo, CO

#24 Aug 20, 2010
how about a rich white man dealing drugs from his multimillion dollar home who is ripped off for his drugs and beaten=- dies of a medical problem- but the person involved is charged with murder? Media where I live all about hanging the person on the other side. Guess it matters, from the comments here, whether the perpetrator is wearing a badge and whether the victim is poor, rich, white, or black. Sad. Police shouldn't EVER get a pass just because the victim is poor and/or black.
nuclearlemon

Denver, CO

#25 Aug 20, 2010
this is all you need to know.....

"Marvin Louis Booker, 56, died from a cardiorespiratory arrest during physical restraint, according to the autopsy report.

An enlarged heart (cardiac hypertrophy), emphysema and cocaine were also contributing factors listed in the report.

According to the coroner's report, Booker refused to obey a deputy's order during the booking process and a scuffle ensued."
BigZelda69

Littleton, CO

#26 Aug 20, 2010
Very sad situation. I feel bad for the families of EVERYONE involved.

Simple fact ... if this man obeyed the deputies order and didn't resist, they would have never jumped all over him and tazered him in the first place.

I'm not saying the man deserved to die, but he was the main responsible factor in this entire unfortunate event.

The officers failed to observe the man properly and he died in their custody, but MURDER is NOT the correct charge.

If this man hadn't made a bad decision or two or five, then noone would even be talking about this ... it wouldn't have happened. The officers had no choice but to restrain the unruly inmate. Were they supposed to do? Unfortunately, he died.

Maybe some other person will remember this if they're ever arrested, and maybe, just maybe the next person won't resist an officer.
I don't resist because I'm afraid to be "hurt" in a magnitude of ways, by the police. It's not a bad rule to live by ... DON'T RESIST!
Jesus

Alcoa, TN

#27 Aug 20, 2010
Thou shalt not Kill. Thou shalt not bear false witness. Though shall love thy enemies and on and on . When will everyone come to a civilized mind? Two thousand years and it still is the same as it was in the days of Rome. God forgive them for they do not know what they do. God gave them over as reprobates. God made a Hell for all those that do not love Him.
Imagine That

Myrtle Beach, SC

#28 Aug 20, 2010
Where was the family when he was "homeless"? Not saying what the deputies did was right, if it is proven to be excessive. But low and behold here comes the "attorney for the family."
Drew

Nashville, TN

#29 Aug 21, 2010
If there is one thing that pisses me off is when a criminal commits a crime and then gets hurt when they fight the cops. Yet it's the cops just trying to do there job that look bad. Some of these criminals are sometimes well known in police departments and sometimes have thick files full of reports from fighting cops and arrest. The solution, don't commit crimes and you won't get hurt fighting cops.
JMC

Dewitt, MI

#30 Aug 21, 2010
Sadden,
"Excessive Force" is not always the solution.

Where were all the Spiritual Leaders for the fallen Pastor Marvin Louis Booker?

Family members and friends should have helped and or seek assistance for the Pastor prior to his conditions.
Jesse Jackson

Denver, CO

#31 Aug 21, 2010
Homeboy's famliy of vulture's will singin show me da money.
tj Christensen

Aurora, CO

#32 Aug 21, 2010
i dont know why i even bother to read these comments people leave on these stories .... the people that get their news from this source are some of the worst people i have ever encountered. fire is too good of a death for you
jonmon

Glenwood Springs, CO

#34 Aug 21, 2010
The coroners report says that he had a "small amount of cocaine in his system". Everyone who lives in Denver probably has a small amount of cocaine in their system from drinking the water there. Check yourselves people, and then take a hard look in the mirror, and ask yourself "could this happen to me or my family?
Sam

Aurora, CO

#35 Aug 21, 2010
These deputies should not be on paid leave, They should be arrests treated the same way any other suspected murder is.
As long as the public keeps accepting these type double standards the tyranny of law enforcement will continue
Randy

Carrollton, VA

#36 Aug 21, 2010
Stop getting arrested and stuff like this won't happen.
b fiesel

Stafford, VA

#37 Aug 21, 2010
sounds like a lot more training is needed, and perhaps a bit of senceitivity.
Randy

Carrollton, VA

#38 Aug 21, 2010
Sounds to me like he should have just done what he was told to do. If he did, he might be alive today. Nobody made him use cocaine. Nobody made him be homeless. Nobody made him commit a crime. Nobody made him go to prison except for himself. I don't have any sympathy. Sorry. As for the cops, maybe they were too rough, I don't know, but the guy had an enlarged heart, emphysema and was a coke addict. Did he try to attack the cops? Do the cops have a right to defend themselves? And where was the man's family? It doesn't say in the article if he had children or not. If he did, why didn't they take him in when he was homeless? If my parents were homeless or even crack addicts, I would take them in just because it is my job as their child to do so. I blame his family and I blame him before I blame the cops. Sorry.
tj Christensen

Aurora, CO

#39 Aug 21, 2010
fat albert of tulsa is clearly the exception to my previous statement .... after reading such a clear concise post as yours i was wondering, where did you matriculate?
Urloco

Denver, CO

#40 Aug 21, 2010
tj Christensen wrote:
i dont know why i even bother to read these comments people leave on these stories .... the people that get their news from this source are some of the worst people i have ever encountered. fire is too good of a death for you
Nutcase.
plato

Castle Rock, CO

#41 Aug 21, 2010
The City will settle out of court because it is cheaper to give the family a few thousand dollars than it is to defend the Deputies involved. They will be cleared but instead of saying NO they will cave in.
Diana

United States

#42 Aug 21, 2010
He was homeless but he had money for cocaine? Oh well, I think that we can all live without one less junkie on our streets...
American

Palm City, FL

#43 Aug 21, 2010
Right

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Denver youth-facility staffer charged with abuse (Jul '09) Feb '16 Dimitras 182
karl and joshua wilkes sale prostitues (Sep '15) Sep '15 sheriff joshua wi... 1
News Foreclosure filings inch up in 2012, auction sa... (Aug '12) Aug '12 U Y LEE 1
News Jo Scott, abortion zealot, permanently enjoined... (Oct '11) Oct '11 Sick of it 1
News New U.S. Census data means Colorado's congressi... (Mar '11) Mar '11 not surprized 1
News Census: More immigrants moving to Longmont (Nov '10) Nov '10 metoo 1
News Neighbors say owner of home where alleged burgl... (May '10) May '10 He was right 2
More from around the web