Man sentenced after breaking into off...

Man sentenced after breaking into officer's home

There are 20 comments on the KUSA Denver story from Sep 13, 2007, titled Man sentenced after breaking into officer's home. In it, KUSA Denver reports that:

Dustin Mertz was sentenced to nine months in the Denver County Jail with work release privileges, according to the Office of Denver District Attorney Mitchell Morrissey.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KUSA Denver.

BILL

Denver, CO

#1 Sep 13, 2007
This moron was lucky the home owner bothered to buy some of those rubber bullets. They're expensive.
I just load my shotgun with 00Buck and slide it under my bed where it's nice and handy.
Clint Eastwood

Denver, CO

#2 Sep 14, 2007
Colorado Make My Day Law would of legally allowed the officer to shoot and kill the guy. The officer should of did the world a favor and wasted the "punk."
Lost in the Mix

Commerce City, CO

#3 Sep 14, 2007
Home-boy's lucky all he got was a less-lethal round. If he came in my house, he would have been dead. Idiot
r herman

United States

#4 Sep 14, 2007
Clint Eastwood wrote:
Colorado Make My Day Law would of legally allowed the officer to shoot and kill the guy. The officer should of did the world a favor and wasted the "punk."
maybe he loaded the wrong shells!!!!
or maybe he was worried about the mess it would have made!!!!
Swat WIFE

Avondale, AZ

#6 Sep 14, 2007
Glad he shot him. He looks like a goofball anyways! He doesnt really fit the criminal description LMAO
Black Male

Denver, CO

#9 Sep 14, 2007
If he was black, he would have gotten more than just a slap on the wrist from the courts, and maybe even not been alive to make it to court. Lucky white boy.
cuz

Denver, CO

#10 Sep 14, 2007
this is a 19 year old, 18 at the time of the incident that did something that any 18 year old could have done. obviously he was messed up on alcohol and maybe drugs. i did not hear where this young man did anything to assault the police office. we are hearing about this because he is white and because it involved a police officer. i am not making any excuses for the breaking and entering, but that is all i see as the crime.
cuz

Denver, CO

#11 Sep 14, 2007
you all disgust me in wanting to kill as soon as you possibly can. so if a young man came at you stuporing and seem to be out of his mind with no weapon on him...you would actually kill that person? what low lifes...
Waist of Time

Pueblo, CO

#12 Sep 15, 2007
Have any of you worthless human beings heard of a fish bone analysis. With all of your incompetent remarks, I shall explain. This means all of the events come back to one single decision Dustin Mertz made. That one was getting extremely waisted. Not only did he not drive his car home drunk, but he decided he wanted to go back to the party and sleep it off. Don't judge if you don't know what happened. Most of these news stories have a lot of BS. Like him breaking an entering, things would have been a lot different if the hard ass cop would have locked his door. Go out and get an education and keep your worthless comments to yourself.
Waist of Time

Pueblo, CO

#13 Sep 15, 2007
O and Clint Eastwood, if you want to be a hard ass too, come talk to me without your shotgun
Bad Dog

Denver, CO

#14 Sep 15, 2007
Waist of Time wrote:
Have any of you worthless human beings heard of a fish bone analysis. With all of your incompetent remarks, I shall explain. This means all of the events come back to one single decision Dustin Mertz made. That one was getting extremely waisted. Not only did he not drive his car home drunk, but he decided he wanted to go back to the party and sleep it off. Don't judge if you don't know what happened. Most of these news stories have a lot of BS. Like him breaking an entering, things would have been a lot different if the hard ass cop would have locked his door. Go out and get an education and keep your worthless comments to yourself.
You wrote: "That one was getting extremely waisted". May I suggest that you use spell check or check into that "education" you so vehemently promoted.
anon

AOL

#15 Sep 15, 2007
cuz wrote:
you all disgust me in wanting to kill as soon as you possibly can. so if a young man came at you stuporing and seem to be out of his mind with no weapon on him...you would actually kill that person? what low lifes...
Try not to be too disgusted, not everyone is of the shoot first, think later mentality.

I've lived in my house 14 years. The only attempted break-in turned out to be the next door neighbor's son whacked out on meth (he thought it was his house and that his parents locked him out). Two in the morning. He broke a window and tore the front storm door out of the frame while I called 911.I went out the back door (with pepper spray, cell phone and a baseball bat) and got to him while he was kicking at the solid core front door. He had no weapon, but under the Make My Day law, there are people that would have killed him. Knowing I had needlessly taken a human life is something I couldn't justify by saying he scared me. Charges were pressed and he was convicted. He's been sober 18 months and is doing well now.

Sorry to ramble on, but I do hope those that feel the officer should have killed the young man will consider the alternatives before killing someone.
Spike

Denver, CO

#16 Sep 16, 2007
anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Try not to be too disgusted, not everyone is of the shoot first, think later mentality.
I've lived in my house 14 years. The only attempted break-in turned out to be the next door neighbor's son whacked out on meth (he thought it was his house and that his parents locked him out). Two in the morning. He broke a window and tore the front storm door out of the frame while I called 911.I went out the back door (with pepper spray, cell phone and a baseball bat) and got to him while he was kicking at the solid core front door. He had no weapon, but under the Make My Day law, there are people that would have killed him. Knowing I had needlessly taken a human life is something I couldn't justify by saying he scared me. Charges were pressed and he was convicted. He's been sober 18 months and is doing well now.
Sorry to ramble on, but I do hope those that feel the officer should have killed the young man will consider the alternatives before killing someone.
There are times where men and women are called to violence. When violence is the only viable option and an aggressor can only be defeated by greater aggression. With that said, taking a life is no small thing. It should only happen when it is the last option and there is no other choice. There is no other recourse that is so final. Everyone should be glad that they have not been put in that position and pray that they never are. It will change you and stay with you for the rest of your life. However, if you are put in that position, I hope you have the courage and fortitude to act.
Flavio

Denver, CO

#17 Sep 16, 2007
Waist of Time wrote:
O and Clint Eastwood, if you want to be a hard ass too, come talk to me without your shotgun
oooooooo.......tough guy. I'll meet you after school and beat you up.......LOL!!!!!
Flavio

Denver, CO

#18 Sep 16, 2007
Waist of Time wrote:
OMG!!!! BLAME IT ON THE HOMEOWNER!!! What a COMPLETE L O S E R!!!!!!!!!!
Pedro

AOL

#19 Sep 16, 2007
Make a mistake ....Put a bullet in his head ..You to cuz!...
r herman

United States

#20 Sep 16, 2007
Waist of Time wrote:
hey he had a gun he didnt need to lock his door.
Spike

Denver, CO

#21 Sep 16, 2007
Flavio wrote:
<quoted text>
oooooooo.......tough guy. I'll meet you after school and beat you up.......LOL!!!!!
fight, fight........ at the flag pole after recess, fight, fight.........
Whoops

Denver, CO

#22 Sep 16, 2007
Spike wrote:
<quoted text>fight, fight........ at the flag pole after recess, fight, fight.........
ROFLAMO!!!
anon

AOL

#23 Sep 16, 2007
Spike wrote:
<quoted text>There are times where men and women are called to violence. When violence is the only viable option and an aggressor can only be defeated by greater aggression. With that said, taking a life is no small thing. It should only happen when it is the last option and there is no other choice. There is no other recourse that is so final. Everyone should be glad that they have not been put in that position and pray that they never are. It will change you and stay with you for the rest of your life. However, if you are put in that position, I hope you have the courage and fortitude to act.
Spike, I completely agree. Sometimes there might be no other choice. I was lucky, the young man at my house was unarmed. High as a kite & out of control, but no gun or knife. Pepper spray didn't cause enough pain to break through his high, but he was on his knees once he couldn't get much air into his lungs. I'm glad the officer that Mr. Mertz met up with had a non-lethal option available.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Denver youth-facility staffer charged with abuse (Jul '09) Feb '16 Dimitras 182
karl and joshua wilkes sale prostitues (Sep '15) Sep '15 sheriff joshua wi... 1
News Foreclosure filings inch up in 2012, auction sa... (Aug '12) Aug '12 U Y LEE 1
News Jo Scott, abortion zealot, permanently enjoined... (Oct '11) Oct '11 Sick of it 1
News New U.S. Census data means Colorado's congressi... (Mar '11) Mar '11 not surprized 1
News Census: More immigrants moving to Longmont (Nov '10) Nov '10 metoo 1
News Neighbors say owner of home where alleged burgl... (May '10) May '10 He was right 2
More from around the web