Mistrial declared in Nashville security guard's murder trial

There are 10 comments on the The Tennessean Nashville News story from Sep 4, 2009, titled Mistrial declared in Nashville security guard's murder trial. In it, The Tennessean Nashville News reports that:

Former security guard Jeremy Holmes likely will be put on trial a second time after a jury couldn't agree on whether his fatal shooting of Adam Villegas was self-defense or murder.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Tennessean Nashville News.

rpg

Nashville, TN

#1 Sep 5, 2009
Bobo

Spring Hill, TN

#2 Sep 5, 2009
I've been waiting to see the outcome of this case. It looks like we'll have to wait a little longer.

I'm not taking sides, but I do know that witnesses at the scene saw the driver try to run over the security guard. A lot of people supporting the driver have made statements, but none of them were there.

And it doesn't matter how "nice" the driver was. If he was drunk and belligerent, and trying to run down the security officer, then he got what he deserved.

If the security guard was out of line, I want him punished. If he was protecting himself, then the driver's family needs to understand that.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#3 Sep 13, 2009
Bobo wrote:
I've been waiting to see the outcome of this case. It looks like we'll have to wait a little longer.
I'm not taking sides, but I do know that witnesses at the scene saw the driver try to run over the security guard. A lot of people supporting the driver have made statements, but none of them were there.
And it doesn't matter how "nice" the driver was. If he was drunk and belligerent, and trying to run down the security officer, then he got what he deserved.
If the security guard was out of line, I want him punished. If he was protecting himself, then the driver's family needs to understand that.
Basically, the security guard placed himself in a position where he could use the excuse of self-defense in order to cover for the crime of murder.

----------

"Villegas, 34, was fatally shot in the neck in May 2008 in the parking lot of the Marathon Sports Bar. He was sitting in his car when Holmes, an armed security guard for SecurityWise, approached and told him to leave. As Villegas began to back out, Holmes got behind the car and told him to stop, witnesses said.

He fired one bullet into the open driver's side window with the laser-guided gun and struck Villegas in the neck. As the car rolled forward and struck a telephone pole, Holmes called 911 and reported a man that tried to run him over had wrecked his car."
Nancy Grace

Nashville, TN

#4 Sep 13, 2009
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Basically, the security guard placed himself in a position where he could use the excuse of self-defense in order to cover for the crime of murder.
----------
"Villegas, 34, was fatally shot in the neck in May 2008 in the parking lot of the Marathon Sports Bar. He was sitting in his car when Holmes, an armed security guard for SecurityWise, approached and told him to leave. As Villegas began to back out, Holmes got behind the car and told him to stop, witnesses said.
He fired one bullet into the open driver's side window with the laser-guided gun and struck Villegas in the neck. As the car rolled forward and struck a telephone pole, Holmes called 911 and reported a man that tried to run him over had wrecked his car."
"Basically, the security guard placed himself in a position where he could use the excuse of self-defense in order to cover for the crime of murder."

The poilce do the same thing on a very regualr bassi but, shhhhhh, don't tell anyone.
Nancy Grace

Nashville, TN

#5 Sep 13, 2009
basis*

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

#6 Sep 13, 2009
Nancy Grace wrote:
<quoted text>"Basically, the security guard placed himself in a position where he could use the excuse of self-defense in order to cover for the crime of murder."
The poilce do the same thing on a very regualr bassi but, shhhhhh, don't tell anyone.
"The officer phlebotomists are generally trained under the same program as other phlebotomists in their state, but under a highly compressed schedule."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/14/us/14blood....

September 14, 2009

Officers’ New Tool Against D.W.I.: Syringe

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

BOISE, Idaho (AP)— When Officer Darryll Dowell of the Nampa Police Department is on patrol, he will pull up at a stoplight and start casing the vehicle next to him. Nowadays, his eyes will also focus on the driver’s arms, searching for a plump, bouncy vein.

“I was looking at people’s arms and hands, thinking,‘I could draw from that,’” Officer Dowell said.

The thought stems from training he and a select cadre of officers in Idaho and Texas have received in recent months in drawing blood from people suspected of driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. The aim of the federal program is to determine if drawing blood by law-enforcement officers can be an effective tool against drunken drivers and aid in their prosecution.

If the results seem promising after a year or two, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration will encourage law-enforcement officers nationwide to undergo similar training.

The Supreme Court ruled in 1966 that the police could have blood tests forcibly done on a drunken-driving suspect without a warrant, as long as they were based on a reasonable suspicion that a suspect was intoxicated, and they were done after an arrest and carried out in a medically approved manner.

The practice of law-enforcement officers drawing blood, first done in Arizona in 1995, has raised concerns, though, about safety and the credibility of the evidence.

“I would imagine that a lot of people would be wary of having their blood drawn by an officer on the hood of their police vehicle,” said Steve Oberman, chairman of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers’ committee on driving while intoxicated.

For years, defense lawyers in Idaho advised clients to always refuse breath tests, Christine Starr, a prosecutor in Ada County, said. When the state toughened the penalties for refusing the tests a few years ago, the problem lessened, but it is still the main reason that drunken-driving cases go to trial in the Boise region, Ms. Starr said.

Idaho had a 20 percent breath test refusal rate in 2005, compared with 22 percent nationally, according to a study by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration.

Ms. Starr said she hoped the new system would cut down on the number of drunken-driving trials.

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

#7 Sep 13, 2009
Nancy Grace wrote:
basis*
are you really Nancy grace or a nom de gary?
Darci

Nashville, TN

#8 Sep 14, 2009
There is one hidden danger to the public. Wether or not the driver is or isn't drunk, the police can save and plant the DNA at a crime scene and cause an innocent person to be wrongfully convicted
wheresthejustice

Nashville, TN

#9 Sep 14, 2009
Well it looks like that rent a cop got away with murder.
Bobo

Chicago, IL

#10 Sep 14, 2009
Bobo wrote:
Yep, shot in the side of neck through an open window. That is the worst position to be standing when a car is backing out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Davidson County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Women of Davidson County, Rethink Your Oppositi... Feb '15 kisses 1
Greg Oxendine Jan '15 curious 1
News Man Wanted For Assault After Incomplete McDonal... Dec '14 LMAO 1
News Davidson County briefs: Chapman facing DUI, dru... (Oct '06) Nov '14 Geereree 467
Judge Casey Moreland Has NO Integrity (Oct '14) Oct '14 MarthaYoakum 1
News Radio Personality Charged With Sexual Exploitat... (Nov '13) May '14 FAIRisFAIR 3
News Barry Hawkins: Knox County Trustee (Apr '14) Apr '14 vote Hawkins 1
More from around the web