Constitutional Change Proposed Over Davidson County Sheriff's Race

Full story: Fox 8 WGHP 110
Sen. Stan Bingham proposed Senate Bill 351 to change the state constitution and prevent convicted felons from running for sheriff. Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
slinky

Greer, SC

#101 Apr 18, 2010
AWD, U sho is funny. Am I a cop? A felon? Do I pack a 9mm? That's for me to know and the convicted felons to find out. I'll spell it out for you once more, AWD. NOBODY OF AGE HAS TO SIGN FOR AMMO ANY MORE. THAT ENDED MORE THAN 20 YEARS AGO. Got it, AWD? If a felon wants a gun and ammo it's not difficult to find a seller. But if your favorite felon so much as TOUCHES one round of ammo he is in violation of the law and can be sent to prison. I know that's comforting to you.
attorneywatchdog

Lexington, NC

#102 Apr 18, 2010
Well thank you slinky, but why so rude? For the convicted felons to find out? Are you a vigilante, out to save us all from those, sentenced to a year or more? What is your problem?
attorneywatchdog

Lexington, NC

#103 Apr 18, 2010
I do remember that after five years of serving a sentence or completing a probation periord, a felon could possess and own a firearm. This was changed in the past few years, and has caused some serious problems for those having a felony on their records, decades ago. Is this one of the reasons, this bill has been presented by Stan Bingham? I don't believe anybody, including slinky will argue that Hege is a violent felon. I believe it's possible, Hege's reference to an attorney, may be to provide him answers to questions, as I read earlier, regarding arrests etc.

I just read earlier of many coming across the border to escape the violence from the drug war into our country, and I find that a bit more disturbing than Hege touching a bullet.
slinky

Greer, SC

#104 Apr 19, 2010
AWD, I was actually surprised at your last 2 posts. I expected you to accuse me of being an illegal gun runner. Whatever rod I pack or don't pack is to save my own hide from CONVICTED FELONS, not that of society.

In one aspect you may be correct. I vaguely remember that felons at one time could possess long guns, but handguns were verboten the rest of their lives. How about checking on that.

Since: Jan 10

Lincolnshire, IL

#105 Apr 19, 2010
Hey folks... not trying to pick a fight, just trying to pick your brains...

NC firearms statutes are more restrictive than Federal statutes. Prohibition of gun ownership by felons "continues indefinitely" under NC law enacted December 2004. However, the Federal law states gun ownership is permitted, "if the conviction has been expunged or set aside, or is an offense for which the person has been pardoned or has had their civil rights restored (if the law of the applicable jurisdiction provides for the loss of civil rights under such an offense) unless the pardon, expungement, or restoration of civil rights expressly provides that the person may not ship, transport, possess, or receive firearms. 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(33) and 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(9)"

Doesn't federal law trump state law? I'm not a lawyer, and I don't really know the answer to this. It seems confusing to me.
attorneywatchdog

Lexington, NC

#106 Apr 19, 2010
I do know that those convicted of felonies and after the five year period, prior to 1994 convictions, felons could possess and own firearms, and I blieve it included handguns, but that all changed in the recent years. Probably when you indicated Blue Dog in 2004. I remember not long ago, seeing that white collar crimes, carrying felony convictions were exempt of the firearm ban for felons. Now, can't find it anywhere, and someone posted a while back that it had changed as well to include all felony convictions.

I just don't like the one year sentence, determining the fate of a person. Glad to see there is hope to get something changed for non-violent felons after ten years to restore gun rights. Of course, I still believe the five year waiting period after completion of sentence was sufficient and worked just fine.

I believe I posted before, there is more concern to me with habitual drunk drivers on the road. That's a lot of metal coming at you when you least expect it.

Since: Jan 10

Lincolnshire, IL

#107 Apr 19, 2010
Thank you attorneyBIGdog, good information and clarity. I wholeheartily agree with the drunk driver comment. If we'd focus on the bigger issues like this, then we'd see better, more positive results than dickering with gun laws.
slinky

Greer, SC

#108 Apr 19, 2010
Nope, AWD, handguns have been verboten for felons for many years.
attorneywatchdog

Lexington, NC

#109 Apr 20, 2010
Well, slinky, I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but those felons that were and most likely still in possession of various firearms, including the banned handgun, the local cops know about it, but have turned their heads. With the new law, that should have been remedied, but wasn't, wait, some was, but it was written up as "stolen" guns. No argument, just stating fact.
slinky

Greer, SC

#110 Apr 20, 2010
AWD, what's that got to do with the price of pot in Patagonia? You ramble incoherently.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Davidson County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Two Years Later, Davidson County Murder Still U... (Oct '10) Dec 3 mickeyw 20
Hostage Standoff 5-7-08 (May '08) Sep '14 NREverhart95 2
Davidson County's megapark is 'off and running' Aug '14 Ralph Chappell 1
Two Years Later, Davidson County Murder Still U... (Jan '12) Feb '14 Ralph Chappell 3
City, county approve incentives for Project BART (Jan '14) Jan '14 Al Gibson 1
Stolen vehicle in hit and run (Jan '14) Jan '14 Darryl Isaacs 1
Body Found Near Badin Lake Road Identified (Feb '10) Oct '13 Stephanie 39
More from around the web