Constitutional Change Proposed Over Davidson County Sheriff's Race

There are 20 comments on the Fox 8 WGHP story from Mar 17, 2010, titled Constitutional Change Proposed Over Davidson County Sheriff's Race. In it, Fox 8 WGHP reports that:

Sen. Stan Bingham proposed Senate Bill 351 to change the state constitution and prevent convicted felons from running for sheriff.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox 8 WGHP.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
High Point

Greensboro, NC

#1 Mar 17, 2010
Why should he run for sheriff knowing he is a FELON !!!! There are people out here wanting a job cleaning toilets that has a felon record and can not get that job because they have a felony. What makes him so special ??
Kevin

Reidsville, NC

#2 Mar 17, 2010
Let the people vote if they want him in office. Seems like they are trying to stop us from being able to vote for this man
Lifetime Resident

Winston Salem, NC

#3 Mar 17, 2010
I cannot believe anyone would want a convicted felon that, as stated, cannot hire a deputy with a felony to be over the Sheriff's Dept. This man was not railroaded!! He elected to wave right to a trial and made a plea agreement to keep his family from anymore shame than they were already facing. Davidson County residents need to get their heads out of the sand. Just because Sheriff Grice isn't grand-standing doesn't mean he has not done a good job in office. Hege is all about the show. Spending money on the "spider car" that was illegally equipped with n2o. I guess that is alright for him to do illegal things since he was the Sheriff, that made him above the law.....NOT!!!!
skull man

La Grange, NC

#4 Mar 18, 2010
I was charged as a felon because of a 50 b my girlfrend lied when she got cault with another man.we went to court she said it was all a misunder standing.the judge gave me my guns back.next thing i know the atf came by and took my guns.I was faceing 10 to 15 years I had no record.I GOT 1 year probation.now i can not have a gun.every body knows HEGE was not going by the law.why should he be able to run for sheriff.
unknown

Mount Airy, NC

#5 Mar 18, 2010
How can a convicted felon hold office as a sheriff if he cant carry a gun. Federal law states no felon can carry a gun
Reidsville

Mount Airy, NC

#6 Mar 18, 2010
How can a felon run for office when federal law states he cant have a gun
No Felon in Office

Thomasville, NC

#7 Mar 18, 2010
Gerald take note THIS IS ALL BECAUSE OF YOU... Can you see THE PEOPLE dont want YOU in office????? FOOL
concerned

Trinity, NC

#8 Mar 18, 2010
I am a resident of Davidson county and it scares me to death to even think that people would consider voting for this man! Have they not read his record? He was just a show---spider car for one example! He is so sure of himself, running around at the BBQ festival standing near the car wearing the usual uniform--and what lesson has he learned? What can he possibly teach my children....No thanks!!
ncgirl252010

Spring Lake, NC

#9 Mar 18, 2010
This Is Stupid He Is A Felon But Any Other Felon Person Its Hard As Heck To Get A Job For Them If He Can Get A Job Being A Sheriff Hes Supposed To Be A Role Model But He's Not I Believe Cops Are The Majority Of Ones You Hear Now A Days That Do The Most Messing Up Here lately But If Him A felon can get a job then the rule should be Fair To All!!!!!!!

“Simple Man”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#10 Mar 18, 2010
some one call a waaaaambulance..

He can run...Does not mean he will win..The only way he will be Sheriff would be that the majority vote him in..In that case the people have spoken..

Hege for Sheriff
caraway racer

Thomasville, NC

#11 Mar 18, 2010
im gonna vote for him
FOX 8 VIEWER

Salisbury, NC

#12 Mar 18, 2010
YES HEGE, WE MOST CERTAINLY WILL SHOW IT WITH OUR VOTES. VOTE NO MORE HEGE!!
John is Out There

High Point, NC

#13 Mar 18, 2010
No Felon in Office wrote:
Gerald take note THIS IS ALL BECAUSE OF YOU... Can you see THE PEOPLE dont want YOU in office????? FOOL
SEE I wouldnt have a problem with your statement if it was in fact THE PEOPLE who are speaking out. But in actuality it is the CURRENT SHERIFFS of OTHER COUNTIES who are complaining. Fact of the matter is they ARE NOT GOING TO ALLOW THE PEOPLE TO SPEAK. Remember Elected officials are not the PEOPLE..WE ARE. AND WE SPEAK BY VOTING! It seems to me they (Elected officials) are getting a little scared because 3/4 of Davidson County has a HEGE sign in their front yards. They mustered up some scheme to get him out of office 5 years ago thinking that would be the end of him and when they realized it wasnt now they have to scrape up some bill to pass to make sure. I SAY LET THE PEOPLE START VOTING FOR THESE BILLS AND REFERENDUMS and maybe we can get 80% of these assholes in congress out who are not serving the people who put them there. I lost all faith in the federal government when I saw a senator on TV say "The american people do not know what is best for them, we do". That is very scary my friends. Because we are heading down the tubes if the Government is allowed to run everything. China, Russia and so on!
Steve

Thomasville, NC

#14 Mar 18, 2010
Yeah, let the people vote, but if the people of Davidson County re-elect him, we have some serious problems. I don't think he's a changed man, I think he'll be more efficient in hiding his dirty work from now on. I strongly believe that if a person is guilty and convicted for a crime and doesn't want to change, they come back to society a more efficient criminal, a burden on society again. They learn the ropes, so to speak. Bottom line is, he's a criminal, a felon. He's not a person who got a raw deal, he was charged with 15 felonies and took a plea bargain. Innocent people don't plead guilty to crimes they didn't committ!!! All of the Hege signs I see in people's yards, it makes me sick. My vote is with Grice, but if Grice isn't the nominated Republican in May, then my vote is for Democrat, Tommy Evans. I've know Grice for many years and he is my top pick, but I also discovered that Tommy Evans is also good and decent man who has many years of experience in Law Enforcement as well.
Robert High Point

Tupelo, MS

#15 Mar 18, 2010
Hey "caraway racer" If you haven't noticed you race in randolph county.It would be best if Hege people stay out.
Steve

Thomasville, NC

#16 Mar 18, 2010
I don't reside in Durham as my previous post suggests. I reside in Davidson County and am also a Law Enforcement officer myself who cares about the county.
concerned

Greensboro, NC

#17 Mar 18, 2010
my problem that i have with this entire situation is regardless of how he is now respectively...the fact remains that he is still a convicted felon...which by law do not have the privileges that upstanding citizens do have...i have heard that he just took a plea to protect his family...that is bull to me...there are people out here with misdemeanors that can not get a job...and if i am not mistaken...if you are a felon...you are not have access to firearms or even be around them...right??? how is that going to work out...is he going to run the office via satellite??? I think that it is time for him to let it go and find another career...
raines96

Kernersville, NC

#18 Mar 18, 2010
I am all for Hege. I know the people who pulled strings in the county to get him out. I will tell you one of them will never get my business again. But Tommy Evans was a great deputy. Who help us with a neighbor who was a pain. He has spent many hours at our house and going place with my family. He was let go because Hege did not like his family. I was mad. But he went on to better things. When he was around you could always county on him.
John is Out There

High Point, NC

#19 Mar 18, 2010
concerned wrote:
my problem that i have with this entire situation is regardless of how he is now respectively...the fact remains that he is still a convicted felon...which by law do not have the privileges that upstanding citizens do have...i have heard that he just took a plea to protect his family...that is bull to me...there are people out here with misdemeanors that can not get a job...and if i am not mistaken...if you are a felon...you are not have access to firearms or even be around them...right??? how is that going to work out...is he going to run the office via satellite??? I think that it is time for him to let it go and find another career...
Let me explain how "Plea Deals" in North Carolina work. Either you take the deal or you go to trial. Now frankly for him to leave his fate in the hands of 12 jurors and a State Government (Who is already against you) would be stupid. So you take the deal..its really a no brainer. This fantastic state government and especially "Guilford County" has allowed Murderers and Rapist to WALK FREE on Plea Deals..He plead out to OBSTRUCTION OF JUSTICE because it was the best for HIM AND HIS FAMILY. Truth is he would have been facing many years in Prison but the plea deal kept him out of prison. I know Hege is not the best candidate for Sheriff but LET THE FUCKING PEOPLE DECIDE WHAT IS BEST..NOT THE STATE!
GMM

High Point, NC

#20 Mar 18, 2010
Yes, in the begining Hege did do some good, but the bad he did far outways the good. I agree with "Steve" that Hege hasn't changed. The only lessons he has learned from his mistakes is how better to not get caught. Hege committed a lot of crimes, he stole, he lied, he cheated both the public and his officers and many other accounts of corruption. How can you allow someone like that be a public official? Let alone the one that is in charge of your safety?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Davidson County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tobacco Education Funding Apr 3 rschechner 1
News Two Years Later, Davidson County Murder Still U... (Oct '10) Mar '15 Tabby 21
Hostage Standoff 5-7-08 (May '08) Sep '14 NREverhart95 2
News Davidson County's megapark is 'off and running' (Aug '14) Aug '14 Ralph Chappell 1
News Two Years Later, Davidson County Murder Still U... (Jan '12) Feb '14 Ralph Chappell 3
News City, county approve incentives for Project BART (Jan '14) Jan '14 Al Gibson 1
News Stolen vehicle in hit and run (Jan '14) Jan '14 Darryl Isaacs 1
More from around the web