Witness Describes Horse Riding Accident

Full story: Fox 8 WGHP 93
A man who narrowly avoided being hit by a truck while on horseback said his nephew and a 9-year-old boy were crossing the road when the truck collided with them. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
tiredofliberals

Yadkinville, NC

#83 Jan 15, 2010
Turner family wrote:
<quoted text>
I really wish that people would know the entire story of what had happened instead of just what the news or other people would have reported. The nine year old had a white hoodie on not to mention that it was NOT dark yet. If so many people were praying for these two instead of making ugly comments about what they THINK happened the world would be a better place. Too many people are to quick to judge. While my brother was in ICU fighting for his life this is the type of things that people want to say. We are not blaming anyone however, it is hard for me to believe that the man could total his truck and kill TWO horses immediately and only be traveling 35 miles per hour.I have hit a dog going 35 miles per hour and it didn't do this much damage. While those that are quick to say nonsense of child abuse where are your children at this time--or do still have custody of them????? THANKS for all those who indeed prayed for my brother and his friends son--may GOD bless you. I
I've never seen a dog as big as a horse, and I doubt you have, either. Yes, a whole lot of damage can be done to a truck if it hits a horse. You can't be serious. No one wants anything to happen to that child, the other riders, nor to the horses, and posting any kind of comment does not mean that people are not praying for a quick recovery of everyone involved. The truck driver was NOT at fault. I doubt that if the tables were turned you'd have the same blaming opinion of the riders as you now have of the truck driver.
A_Neighbor

Thomasville, NC

#84 Jan 15, 2010
I live the street over from Cunningham road. The rd is curvy and excessive speed is not a good idea there- but likewise, even runners use reflective gear. This is a tragedy for all involved. I hope that the injured recover fully and quickly.
Gayle Marshall

New London, NC

#85 Jan 15, 2010
was there wrote:
If they could have been seen as the video says then why have 3 other people said they almost hit the riders?
because everyone likes to get in on the act. I have never seen so many people out and out lie about something.
Gayle Marshall

New London, NC

#86 Jan 15, 2010
Kevin wrote:
plenty of time to stop blah blah if they were CROSSING the road it's ther fault this guys just wanting to get the guy in the truck at fault so they can money grab. Why can't people just admit when they mess up? You crossed a road at DUSK with no reflective clothing duh! They should have started back home sooner end of story.
It was 5:48 and Sebastion was wearing a white hoodie with reflective designs all over it. If the man in the truck had not been speed (65) and had been paying attention, this accident would have never happened.
Gayle Marshall

New London, NC

#87 Jan 15, 2010
Concerned Neighbor wrote:
XXX:
I repeat "IT WAS AFTER 6:00 AND IT WAS COMPLETELY DARK"! I live near, I heard the accident, and I had more than one family member on the scene. Did you ever consider that people who know the Trooper personally, or maybe even the Trooper is/are reading these comments? The Trooper DID NOT say "there will be no charges because he was one of the troopers best friends". He may have commented that he was good friends with the driver, but that IS NOT the reason he wasn't charged. He wasn't charged because #1 he was not speeding and #2 he was not at fault. And I hate to tell you that the Trooper is familiar with this road and the history (i.e. riding many times after dark, riding in the middle of the road)of the riders. People aren't as ignorant as you seem to think. By the way, I have "seen it myself", no one said they were abusing their child", but having a 9 y/o out on a cold night, on a horse in the complete dark, on a heavily traveled road is considered "child endangerment", and it wasn't the first time they have did that. This time just ended tragically.
to bad you don't know what you are talking about, There are several eye witnesses said they saw the driving speeding. It happened at exactly 5:48 ( not dark) and they were going home. It happened at their drive way, and they were hit from behind. There are eye witnesses that seen it happen. Maybe if he hadn't been on the cell phone, he could have seen them.
tiredofliberals

Yadkinville, NC

#88 Jan 15, 2010
Gayle Marshall wrote:
<quoted text>
to bad you don't know what you are talking about, There are several eye witnesses said they saw the driving speeding. It happened at exactly 5:48 ( not dark) and they were going home. It happened at their drive way, and they were hit from behind. There are eye witnesses that seen it happen. Maybe if he hadn't been on the cell phone, he could have seen them.
You know something? This is stupid. Have you ever thought that parents usually teach their children with these words: "Stay in the yard to play, and do not go into the street." Parents usually explain to their children that cars and trucks travel in the street or roads and that it is safe to play in the yard but dangerous to play in the road. My own parents would have torn up my behind had they seen me even crossing the road without looking both ways. I DO NOT believe the driver was speeding. I do not believe he is at fault in the least, and I believe it was dark as the officer and other witnesses have said. I also believe the riders on horseback were not practicing the safety acts they should have been taught by their parents... "Don't 'play' in the road, and look carefully both ways should you ever have to cross that road." (And, yes, I know owners can ride their horses on public roadways. They still should practice the wise words of those mothers and fathers who took the time to teach their children right from wrong.) And, by the way.. a horse's rear end is as dark as its front, so it doesn't matter one bit if the riders were hit from behind. In fact, if they were, it simply proves that they must have had their backs to the driver of the vehicle... which, in turn, means that they were NOT looking to see if anything were coming at them. I don't care that you claim there were eye witnesses (Is there any other kind?) "that seen it happen" (sic) the way you posted. It doesn't matter. The fact of the matter is that some riders made a grave misjudgment in choosing to ride when and where they did. And Mrs. Marshall? No one uses his eyes to talk on a cell phone, so using one had nothing to do with the fact that the driver couldn't SEE the riders. Being dark, however, definitely played a part in his not being able to see the horses and their riders. Your posts are quickly losing sympathy points for this group of careless horse owners.
so sad

Greensboro, NC

#89 Jan 16, 2010
You can't change what you don't acknowledge...
Also you can get copies of the the 911 calls from 911 operations center. The first call came it to the 911 center at 18:03:25 which is 3 minutes 25 seconds after 6 o'clock. A neighbor and a car behind the truck called immediately..This few minutes made a lot of differnece in the darkness...(However I am sure the family will have some spin on this information)
was there

Greensboro, NC

#90 Jan 16, 2010
Gayle Marshall wrote:
<quoted text>
because everyone likes to get in on the act. I have never seen so many people out and out lie about something.
I was there, in one of the cars that nearly missed them, turned around came back and they had been hit. Don't remember seeing you riding a horse..however it was DARK..
STK

Winston Salem, NC

#91 Jan 16, 2010
Can we not just get along??
tiredofliberals

Yadkinville, NC

#92 Jan 16, 2010
STK wrote:
Can we not just get along??
No, and with someone like this Marshall person, who'd want to get along with her?
peep player again

Wallburg, NC

#93 Jan 16, 2010
Darn its bad but horses shouldn't be allowed on roads people. Imagine a car meeting a horse-expect fatalities. Very dumb to be on a horse like that-geez.Horse riders stay off the roads that is what fields everywheres is for. take care of yourselves & your horses too!
cindy

Greensboro, NC

#94 Jan 17, 2010
Does anyone have an update on the two people hit on horseback on Cunningham Brick Road in Thomasville
concerned

Greensboro, NC

#95 Jan 21, 2010
cindy wrote:
Does anyone have an update on the two people hit on horseback on Cunningham Brick Road in Thomasville
Both are doing well. I am glad that someone is showing concern instead of attempting to point fingers. Both are home and the injuries at this point--- they both will recover. It is really sad and I hope that the driver is doing ok as well. After all this media nonsense and they way people are acting on these sites is hard for anyone to deal with. I can only imagine both sides of the story. It is hard on all families dealing with such. Please remember to keep everyone in your prayers. GOD IS GOOD!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Davidson County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Two Years Later, Davidson County Murder Still U... (Oct '10) Dec '14 mickeyw 20
Hostage Standoff 5-7-08 (May '08) Sep '14 NREverhart95 2
Davidson County's megapark is 'off and running' (Aug '14) Aug '14 Ralph Chappell 1
Two Years Later, Davidson County Murder Still U... (Jan '12) Feb '14 Ralph Chappell 3
City, county approve incentives for Project BART (Jan '14) Jan '14 Al Gibson 1
Stolen vehicle in hit and run (Jan '14) Jan '14 Darryl Isaacs 1
Body Found Near Badin Lake Road Identified (Feb '10) Oct '13 Stephanie 39
More from around the web